The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 27, 1999, 12:26 AM   #1
headroom

Can anybody tell me what the US miltary load for the 62 gr. SS-109, using WC 844, powder is?
I have information that says I can use WC 345 and WC 748 data but there is about a grain difference. The powder container says 26.1 gr. for the green tips. The brass is surplus M193 made by Lake City. Primers are winchester small rifle. Bullets are the pulled 62 gr. surplus that Weideners had a while back.
Old November 27, 1999, 06:01 PM   #2
Kuiper

Ammo sheet TM 43-0001-27 states the following.

M855

Bullet 62 grain SS109
Powder WC 26.1 grain

Velocity 3025 fps, 78 ft from muzzle

I read you where gonna use once fired LC cases, which is good. Use the heavier mil spec cases for ammo like this. But still, I would suggest starting 5 % under this load and work up if possible. That way working in the safest way possible.

Now read the disclaimer, I feel necessary to state

The above data comes from a military document and unfired cases are used to manufacture these rounds. The load is generally considered hot. So extreme caution is to be used if you decide to use this load in a handload.

The link to the ammosheet is here
http://members.xoom.com/FR_Kuiper/TM43-0001-27.pdf

[This message has been edited by Kuiper (edited November 29, 1999).]
Old November 29, 1999, 12:10 AM   #3
Big Bunny

Be very very careful on duplicating Mil loads, I agree fully with thre foregoing posting. Some Chinese Norinco 223 are worse and blow-ups have occurred over here. So much for "cheap ammo" most people give for a reason for buying a 223 over a 222 !

The SS109 is the NATO/Aus/NZ standard now, but the terminal ballistics are poor for it is too penerative, in my opinion, to be a good stopper in all cases.
As a target round I have heard from the Club they are very good, even in windy conditions vs the 308W up to 600 yds.

Er...Why do you think they were surplus in the first place..?

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old December 3, 1999, 03:17 PM   #4
Patrick Graham

It's important to remember that Military loads have crimped in primers. Make sure the primer pockets nice and tight.