The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 23, 2011, 10:07 PM   #26
gyvel

Quote:
I am not sure any M3's were made in 9mm Para, but conversion kits were.
I have seen at least one 9mm "grease gun" and even had a chance to buy it. A gentleman had it and a .45 grease gun in his table at a small gun show in Gainesville, FL, in 1965, during the halcyon days prior to the GCA of 68. They had both been dewatted by "plugging" the barrels with lead. I was offered the pair for the (then) princely sum of $100.00.

Apparently the 9mm was known as the "T20" (or some such), and, indeed, consisted of a replacement barrel, a lighter bolt and an adaptor to allow it to use Sten mags.

At any rate, I was a poor college student at the time and didn't 100 cents, much less 100 dollars, and, even then, I knew it was a no-no to reactivate the weapon without the tax stamp.
Old January 26, 2011, 10:43 PM   #27
GeorgeF

Amen. The M3A1 is one of my favorite SMGs. As Jim Keenan mentioned, the M3A1 is ingenious with its simplicity and the extra do-dads (integrated mag-assist-loader, cleaning rod fixture). Mags are super durable, but the feed lips will chew up your thumbs if you don't have a mag loader.

Such a fun firearm. If you get a chance to shoot one, do it.
Old January 27, 2011, 05:36 PM   #28
mete

Yesterday police in Newburgh NY [highest crime rate in NY state] caught a BG with a Sten gun !! That was a surprise ,you don't see many of those these days. The British SMG in WWII, reliable , durable and low cost to make.
Cost is significant during wartime and the M3 was much cheaper to make than the Thompson. Sheet metal parts can be made by any company that makes sheet metal propducts. A few years ago History Channel had an interesting film made by the Danish resistance .They were making SMGs in a toy factory right under the noses of the Germans !!