The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 9, 2000, 05:16 AM   #1
ar-180

I see from the website that mossberg offers several different models of 590's, some with metal triggergards and heavy barrels. Have the plastic gaurds been a problem area, or is it just personal preference? Also, the site says that these models also have heavy barrels, how much heavier are they then the standard model? Are these heavier duty actions as well?
Old December 9, 2000, 12:52 PM   #2
nedfig

I'm not sure the exact size of the barrel difference, but you can feel it in the weight. And you can see the difference. It probably makes the barrel a little "stronger" for magnum loads, but i've never heard of a standard barrel busting. The 590A1 has the metal trigger guard, safety and heavy barrel. The metal parts will probably last longer.
Old December 9, 2000, 10:25 PM   #3
Lightsped

I have a new Mossberg 590A1. It does seem heavier than my dads 870 Wingmaster, but at the same time, the 590A1 feels VERY sturdy. I have yet to shoot the 590A1. Hopefully I will get around to it soon....