The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 9, 2004, 06:54 PM   #1
gfrey

Shotgun help

I have offered to help a friend find out more about two shotguns she has from her father's estate.

One is a single shot 16 guage, the only things I found printed on it are

Diamond Arms Co,
St. Louis, Mo

There is no forearm. If you see what looks like paint on the single shot, guess what?

Is there any worth to this shotgun?

The double appears to be a custom 16 guage, there is lots of engraving. On the top of the barrels is inscribed
A. R. Mills Oct 29,1871 (infinity logo) (A.R. Mills was a friend of her father's. Since her father was born in 1911 and A.R. was described as an OLD friend....)
There isn't anything in the way of a maker mark that I can see.

I will post some pics. (I took several, and could get more...)

I guess the double was made in the 1870's, but is there any way I can get a manufacturer or an idea of value?

Thanks,
Gfrey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0085.JPG (210.6 KB, 53 views)
Old June 9, 2004, 07:00 PM   #2
gfrey

Here is a shot of the top of the barrels and the bottom of the stock on the double.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0084.JPG (218.4 KB, 46 views)
Old June 9, 2004, 07:04 PM   #3
gfrey

here is just the receiver of the double...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0078.JPG (238.6 KB, 38 views)
Old June 9, 2004, 07:07 PM   #4
gfrey

Here is the bottom of the receiver(Note the release lever swings to the side)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0080.JPG (226.4 KB, 41 views)
Old June 10, 2004, 05:14 AM   #5
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

gfrey:

I will ans the sngle bbl first. Am researching the dbl. I have seen that system on the double before and am quite sure I have it, (somewhere in the library.)

This gun is termed, by the industry, as a "Hardware Gun." That is: made by a major mfg for hardware stores, and just about anyone who wanted their name on a gun.

Diamond Arms Co. is a trade name used by Iver Johnson on gun they made for The Shapleigh Hardware Co of St Louis Mo. It was also the trade name for Shapleigh on double guns they imported. Many of which came from Belgium.

As far as value on the sngle bbl probably around $75.00 $100.00. That is just a guestimation. There is little collection value on these guns. Iver Johnson still makes a single bbl and probably on the same specifications. I have attached a photo of the Iver Johnson for your convenience

HJN

Last edited by Harley Nolden; June 10, 2004 at 05:49 AM. Reason: additional information
Old June 10, 2004, 06:05 AM   #6
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

gfrey:

I cannot find anything specific on the double. Possibly Mr. Mills was in some sort of business, such as a sporting goods dealer, even an improrter or hardware store. It could have been a custom gun, however, it is designed on an existing system. This leads me to believe that the gun was made for your friend's friend, by one of the Major mfg's, "Hardware Gun" with that specific name on it.

My records indicate that Benjamin Edwards and William Ford made guns on the type system you show. I am sending by separate email the history on these two companies. The gun could have been made by one of these companies for Mr. Mills.

I am not capable if putting a value on the gun, however, if you were to take it to a certified gun appraiser, he can determine a value for you.
Old June 10, 2004, 07:55 AM   #7
gfrey

Thanks Harley,

I didn't think the single was worth much.

The double however looks fabulous...(Well considering it is probably over 100 years old...)

If there is any specific view, or detail that will help I can post that too.(Maybe not right away, but I will get to it.)

Thanks for the e-mails.

(Ooops, we posted at the same time...)

Thanks, I'll get an appraisal. The pic you sent does look like the shotgun. Mr Mills was the former owner (Who then gave it to Mr. Haselow, whose daughter now has it... She doesn't hunt or shoot, but she has kept these since they were from her father.), so I was thinking custom from the start.

Thanks once again for your help!
Ger
Old June 10, 2004, 02:04 PM   #8
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

gfrey

Mr Gfrey: I believe that I have found your gun. (Attatched photos) This gun was made by Charles Langley of London, (Sending Story by separate email)

In the attached photos, the receiver is exactly like yours, the engraving, appears to me, to be very much the same. Langly may have made your gun for Mr Mills and put his name on it.

I found this on the net and it was listed at $4250.00

go to

http://www.montywhitley.com
Old June 10, 2004, 02:07 PM   #9
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Gfrey

When you get to the web page, look under "Hammer Guns"
Old June 10, 2004, 02:08 PM   #10
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

and the 3rd photo