The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 12, 2013, 02:38 PM   #1
Blueliner15

white powder wonder

looking for mfg. date and location, value ?...White Powder Wonder, 20 ga., single barrel, hammer cock, 28" barrel, 397 KQ EED on 3 pieces
Old July 12, 2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Jim Watson

The White Powder Wonder was a Sears brand, made for them by Crescent, Davenport, Meridien, and Stevens over the period 1900-1925. I don't know how to tell which contractor and just when. They cost $4 - $5 before WW I.
Old July 13, 2013, 12:23 AM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

The name was a reference to a kind of early smokeless powder, which was a sort of fluffy white and looked a bit like large grained washing powder. They were among the first shotguns to have bored barrels rather than built-up barrels, like Damascus twist or laminated.

Given the increased power of modern loads, the likely chambering for older shorter shells, and the age of the gun, I would not fire it even if it looks to be in good condition.

Jim
Old July 15, 2013, 06:50 PM   #4
PetahW

It would have only decorator value, today........................

Old July 16, 2013, 05:54 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

"The name was a reference to a kind of early smokeless powder..."

Yep. Major brand was Shultz's White Powder. It was a nitrated wood pulp that was suitable only for use in shotshells, and predated nitrocellulose powders by some years.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 16, 2013, 12:01 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

And IIRC, those guns sold for all of $2.50. It is a bit ironic that the barrels were drilled and were probably stronger than the Damascus barrel "quality" guns selling for $60 or more.

Jim
Old July 18, 2013, 11:31 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yep. People didn't realize the inherent strength of the new fluid steel barrels, but they did recognize the "craftsmanship" that went into damascus barrels.

I say "craftsmanship" because by the time the White Powder Wonder came out virtually all damascus barrels were being machine forged and finished, not done by hand.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.