The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old May 6, 2013, 12:43 PM   #1
enstorm

When will primers be available again?

online sources I checked are still all out of stock of course the local shops are too. Is there any end in sight now that the senate bill failed?
Old May 6, 2013, 12:57 PM   #2
BigTex308

Re: When will primers be available again?

They'll be readily available once the ammo craze dies down. The manufacturers are using primers to make loaded ammo.

I still find what I need in stock locally. But i also work 70 miles from home so I have several shops to buy from.

Hopefully people will stop buying anything they can get their hands on.

Ammo prices are coming down daily and manufacturers are catching up with demand.

But honestly I like the shortage. It means more people are buying guns, shooting them, and loading up on ammo. And that's more people on our side.

Ike
Old May 6, 2013, 12:59 PM   #3
Swampman1

I bought 1000 CCI primers from my LGS a few weeks ago...its the lack of powder thats my problem.
Old May 6, 2013, 01:02 PM   #4
BigTex308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampman1 View Post
I bought 1000 CCI primers from my LGS a few weeks ago...its the lack of powder thats my problem.
Same here. I've got probably 10-15k primers. But down to 6-7 pounds of powder.

Rifle bullets are an issue for me too.

Ike
Old May 6, 2013, 01:31 PM   #5
rajbcpa

I would not be too optimistic.

Yeh, last week PV had Tula SP primers but they were gone in 2 hours. During all shortages you will occasionally find a pocket with supply and that is just how it happens.

I believe this shortage in 2013 is much more sever than other shortages in the past because, over time, it has spread to all components including powder, brass and projectiles and, generally this did not happen in the past in 2008, and 1994.

The long term impact - say in 2015 and beyond is going to be higher prices that just will not return to the pre-shortage levels. I would expect the price of a 1000 brick of premium primers to remain high - say around $50 after the supply situtation improves.

The new ammo background check law in NY is fueling extreme demand from New Yorkers.
Old May 6, 2013, 01:32 PM   #6
TheNatureBoy

I think we will get a few months into 2014 before we can walk into gun shops and see full shelves again. Hope I'm wrong.
Old May 6, 2013, 03:06 PM   #7
Boomer58cal

From what I've read it'll be a year or more before most places fill the orders they already have and that's if know one orders any more.

I too am glad to see the American people buying all the guns and ammo they can. They are simply exercising their second amendment rights. It's a nice show of force without anyone getting hurt.

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

Boomer
Old May 6, 2013, 03:40 PM   #8
Kimber84

When will primers be available again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajbcpa View Post

The long term impact - say in 2015 and beyond is going to be higher prices that just will not return to the pre-shortage levels. I would expect the price of a 1000 brick of premium primers to remain high - say around $50 after the supply situtation improves.
They're sitting at $39 for CCI SRP , $43 for the benchrests. Luckily our local shop never raised prices on anything, as far as reloading goes.
Old May 6, 2013, 03:52 PM   #9
oldpapps

When supply catches up with the demand.

The 'makers' are dumping all they can into fulfilling massive government contracts and that eats up most if not all of the components.
This in turn causes a panic and people who would never think of loading their own ammunition run out and buy anything they can find (then want some one to hand feed them on how).

The more in the game the better. And even better, read up, take a class, find a mentor, know or have a good idea what to buy, not buy it all.

Off the soap box now.

When? It is very good for business, so don't look for an announcement stating 'it's over!' In good time, things will begin to appear and the grabbers will be full. Just think, some good people are getting into reloading. That is a plus for us all.

Enjoy,

OSOK
Old May 6, 2013, 04:04 PM   #10
rlc323

Another thread

This thread was set up to discuss the availability or lack of supplies a few weeks ago. So check there often for updates:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...=521685&page=6

That said, Recobs had several different varieties of primers and powder this morning. Happy Hunting!

http://www.recobstargetshop.com/browse.cfm/2,193.html

http://www.recobstargetshop.com/browse.cfm/2,192.html
Old May 6, 2013, 04:27 PM   #11
BigTex308

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpapps View Post
When supply catches up with the demand.

The 'makers' are dumping all they can into fulfilling massive government contracts and that eats up most if not all of the components.
This in turn causes a panic and people who would never think of loading their own ammunition run out and buy anything they can find (then want some one to hand feed them on how).

The more in the game the better. And even better, read up, take a class, find a mentor, know or have a good idea what to buy, not buy it all.

Off the soap box now.

When? It is very good for business, so don't look for an announcement stating 'it's over!' In good time, things will begin to appear and the grabbers will be full. Just think, some good people are getting into reloading. That is a plus for us all.

Enjoy,

OSOK

Agreed. I've been introducing quite a few new reloaders to the hobby.

Ike
Old May 6, 2013, 05:43 PM   #12
Swampman1

Quote:
I've been introducing quite a few new reloaders to the hobby.
Not the best time to introduce new people to reloading...a year ago(when you could buy presses, powder measures, dies, bullets, powder, and just about any component you wanted all at the same time), now thats a different story.
Old May 6, 2013, 06:23 PM   #13
rclark

At the local gun show this weekend there were plenty of primers available. $35 per 1000. The local shops appear to be out though... same with powders. I did find a couple bottles of a powder I was looking for though in an out-of-town sporting goods store. Talk about luck. Of the remaining 8 bottles on the shelf, 7 of them were the powder I was looking for! Only bought a couple to replenish my cache.

When? How about 2016? Maybe?

There was .22LR there too I heard.... $80 for a box of 500.... Had to be really hard up to open the wallet for that!
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old May 6, 2013, 06:28 PM   #14
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Please refer to the "Where is every thing..." mega-thread.
Closed Thread