The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 13, 2009, 01:39 PM   #51
stargazer65

I did some research on this topic by watching "My Darling Clementine" with Henry Fonda (W. Earp) and Victor Mature (Doc H.). Victor Mature didn't use the phrase at all, so historically it probably never occurred.

However this quote from wikipedia is helpful:

Quote:
Huckleberry "Huck" Hound is a blue dog that spoke with a Southern drawl, with a relaxed, sweet, and well-intentioned personality. He first appeared in the series The Huckleberry Hound Show.

The term "Huckleberry" can be a slang synonym for a rube or an amateur, and that seems to fit Huck's personality. Most of his shorts consisted of Huck trying to perform jobs in different fields, ranging from policeman to (ironically enough) dogcatcher, with backfiring results, yet usually coming out on top, either through slow persistence or sheer luck.
I believe Val Kilmer probably grew up watching Huckleberry Hound on Saturday mornings while he ate his Froot Loops or Sugar Pops.

The T-shirt is available on zazzle, revolver and all...

http://www.zazzle.com/im_your_huckle...29434732032425
Old February 10, 2013, 05:30 PM   #52
nuke submariner

I'm your huckleberry.

The movie Tombstone came up in conversation today and naturally Kilmer's Doc Holliday line, "I'm your huckleberry".

A search of the term, quote and other information lead me to TFL forums and this thread.

Being as I haven't been on in a while and this thread hasn't been rehashed in a longer while, I thought I'd be the huckleberry that brought it up again.

pax, amor et huckleberries, Nuke Submariner

Last edited by nuke submariner; February 10, 2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old February 10, 2013, 05:47 PM   #53
Spats McGee
Staff

nuke submariner, welcome to The Firing Line! (Yes, I see that you've been a member for a while, but I guess this was your first post.)

Clearly, this thread has a tendency to rise from the dead, but as it is not firearms-related, I think it's time to put it in its final resting place.