The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 23, 2009, 02:37 AM   #1
jga_colorado

Sako L691, Rem 700, or Win m70 ???

Shopping for a .300 Win Mag for Elk Hunting in Colorado and have available to me the following immediate options (all new, in box):

1) Remington model 700 CDL for ~ $800.00
2) Winchester model 70 Sporter for ~$850.00
3) Sako L691 in Hunter type walnut stock for ~$1100.00 [dealer has had it a few years and may bargain, I haven't really tried yet, just been researching this particular Sako action]

Wondering what the general consensus would be the best/most accurate rifle.

Like the Sako name, but I thing the L691/591/491 actions are the least regarded of their line, and were only available for a couple years. It's also a very nice looking gun

Like the look and controlled round feed on the Winchester, but it's one of the latest manufactured and don't know if they will live up to their tradition. I've got a Winchester M70 featherweight in 30/06 and got no complaints.

Remington has name for high accuracy out-of-the-box, and they been in business the longest.

Money is not the primary driver, if the Sako is worth the extra couple of $$bills.

Been eye-balling all 3 for about 6 months now, and can't come to a conclusion. Whichever one I choose will get some premium glass [Leupold 3-9 x 40 most likely].

any/all advice appreciated. Also, if you have any specific knowledge of the strengths/weaknesses of Sako L691, I would be interested.
Old December 23, 2009, 08:11 AM   #2
Oilburner350

Of the rifles listed I would try the 70.

Trigger is no worse than the 700

The Sako is nice, but the extra money could be used toward optics
Old December 23, 2009, 12:58 PM   #3
tINY

The L691 is a nice rifle and not abundant.

You could always find another R700 or w70....

-tINY

Old December 23, 2009, 04:39 PM   #4
jga_colorado

I like tINY's logic. Leaning toward the SAKO. It's action is smooth as butter, the wood is beautiful, the trigger is the nicest of the lot, and my web searches haven't turned up anything outright negative about the L691 action. There are at least a couple of project guns [re-barreling and stocking] based on the action which are detailed out there. Only negative is a note in a wiki that the 691/591/491 actions were not as highly regarded 'in the popular culture' or something like that. Went back around today and verified all the prices, and the SAKO is $1095; the Remington is $850, and the Win is $800. [misquoted the Rem and Win previously]. I kind of got the Winchester m70 out of my system when I bought the 30/06 featherweight last spring, when the new company/manufacuring arrangement started churning them out in South Carolina [although mine may have been built in Utah according to the box ?]. The dealer has had the SAKO for at least 6 years, and I've bought other guns off him in the past, so I'm thinking I'll try and beat him down to $1000 and go for the SAKO.

Thanks for the advice.

-jga

Tags
.300 win mag , remington 700 , sako l691 , winchester 70