The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 8, 2006, 08:38 PM   #1
grondy

rem 700 ACR vs browning abolt stainless stalker

need advice... planning on purchasing a rifle for deer hunting in Alberta...have decided on 270. I have hunted for number of years with a 308 browning bar which works well.

I am trading in some other old guns and thought I might get a new gun...I have decided on a 270. I thought I might do something different and get synthetic stock and stainless barrel.

Anybody have advice on rem 700 ACR vs browning abolt stainless stalker?

What are the advantages and /or disadvantages of stainless steel barrel over conventional barrel?

What about BOSS system? is this a gimmick?

Finally should I get 270 win or 270 WSM?

Thanks for your help...
Old December 8, 2006, 09:50 PM   #2
Jimro

Either rifle is a fine choice.

BOSS works, but if you don't know how to use it it can be an exercise in frustration. All it really does is tune barrel harmonics to a given load, if you change loads (or maybe even lots of the same ammo) you may need to adjust the BOSS.

For deer, there is no need for the 270 WSM, so go with the venerable 270 Win.

Jimro
Old December 8, 2006, 09:54 PM   #3
Pointer

The WSM is 200fps faster... and you can use it for elk and such...

The Browning has a very nice feature in the 60 degree bolt throw...

I have a couple of Brownings... I love them.

I say skip the BOSS... it isn't worth making your gun ugly...

30-06 FOREVER
Old December 8, 2006, 10:45 PM   #4
270Win

You can use regular ol' .270 Winchester for elk also... and buy ammo for it just about anywhere! I am a big fan of the .270... that said, many believe the .270 WSM is the nicest of the WSMs, and I think it makes the biggest gains in velocity among them.

I agree that either rifle is a fine choice. Let us know what you end up with!
Old December 9, 2006, 02:00 AM   #5
grondy

stainless steel barrel

thanks for the advice... one last thing... is the stainless steel barrel more likely to scratch after going thru brush etc.
Old December 9, 2006, 09:01 AM   #6
BIGR

Don't know if it would be considered scratches but some stainless barrels will show marks that look like scracthes, but usually wiping off the barrel gets rid of them. Trust me as far as durability and protection against rust, stainless is the only way to go if you are wanting a gun for all kinds of weather condtions. They claim stainless will rust, but it offers alot more rust protection than the blued guns.
Old December 9, 2006, 03:05 PM   #7
boltgun71

By ACR I'm assuming you mean Remington's 700 XCR, the Xtreme Conditions Rifle? The XCR has Remington's new TriNyte finish over all metal parts, and is superior to traditional stainless steel firearms. The TriNyte finish is a super thin finish applied to the rifle and according to them is both corrosion and scratch resistant. Remington conducted a salt-water spray test on the gun and all the other leading manufacturers stainless steel rifles and none could come close to the protection provided by the XCR. The XCR mainly just looked wet while all others rusted to some degree from minor to severe. Either rifle the A-Bolt or 700 XCR will suit your purpose fine IMO. If you are serious about going the extra step for protection against the elements I would lean towards the XCR.
Old December 9, 2006, 03:16 PM   #8
Pointer

Quote:
is the stainless steel barrel more likely to scratch after going thru brush etc.
Stainless steel is harder, as well...

30-06 FOREVER