The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 15, 2012, 12:38 AM   #1
lowercase

Python on layaway!

Went to my LGS today to check out the used guns.

The owner was telling another customer about something nice that just came into the store, and brought it out from the back to surprise him. Anyway, out comes a beautiful 4" blued Colt Python! These things are rare as hen's teeth in my part of the country, and I absolutely NEVER see them for sale.

The customer looking at it said that it was over his budget, so I asked if I could take a look at the gun. I picked it up and checked it out. It was in excellent shape, so I snapped it up on layaway before any of the other customers (who were now extremely interested) could get it.

Needless to say, I'm pretty happy. Hell, I feel like I just found a unicorn!

Here is a pic I found on the internet of a gun with the exact configuration, finish, and grips. The gun I am getting dates from about 1974.

Old November 15, 2012, 09:49 AM   #2
CajunBass

Good find. You have to be willing and able to strike when the iron is hot.

I never see a Python that isn't in new, or near new condition. A few weeks ago I spotted one in the case at the LGS. Not the "collector case" but the regular "used gun" case. It was worn and dirty, but checked out mechanically. I stuck it on layaway, did some research, found out it was made in 1964 (not that, that was important really). Picked it up a week or so later, cleaned it up, and it turned out to not as rough as I thought it was.

(Shameless show off picture)

The day I picked it up, one of the salesmen came by and said "Oh...You got it. I had a customer come in the other day who said he saw it, but figured he'd leave it a day or two."
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old November 15, 2012, 11:22 PM   #3
4 Paws

I pulled a few guns out of the safe last night just to give them a quick wipe down. Cleaned the 686 and my python. I still can't believe how smooth that action is on the python. I think you'll be very happy with your purchase.
Old November 18, 2012, 10:05 AM   #4
lowercase

Quote:
Good find. You have to be willing and able to strike when the iron is hot.

I never see a Python that isn't in new, or near new condition. A few weeks ago I spotted one in the case at the LGS. Not the "collector case" but the regular "used gun" case. It was worn and dirty, but checked out mechanically. I stuck it on layaway, did some research, found out it was made in 1964 (not that, that was important really). Picked it up a week or so later, cleaned it up, and it turned out to not as rough as I thought it was.
I like the thought of having a "shooter" Python. You have a nice gun. You're right about being willing and able to act fast. Congrats!
Old November 18, 2012, 10:07 AM   #5
lowercase

Quote:
I pulled a few guns out of the safe last night just to give them a quick wipe down. Cleaned the 686 and my python. I still can't believe how smooth that action is on the python. I think you'll be very happy with your purchase.
The smooth action really impressed me. I had never even picked up a Python, so I really enjoyed checking out that smooth Python trigger I had heard about on forums.
Old November 18, 2012, 10:49 AM   #6
Hal

Quote:
The owner was telling another customer about something nice that just came into the store, and brought it out from the back to surprise him. Anyway, out comes a beautiful 4" blued Colt Python!
Phew......you didn't post what you paid for it...

I also jumped right to the end in case you posted a followup and gave the price.

Do me a huge favor - send me a PM and tell me not to look if you do post the price.

Like a complete idiot,,,,I passed on buying a pair of 4" blue Pythons about a dozen years ago.
The dealer had had them on his shelf for over a year and wanted them gone.
He told me they were mine for $900 - as long as I bought both....