Yes, From Opportunity (Friend/Store sold them cheap, Given one) 4 2.70%
Yes, Other (please explain) 10 6.76%
No, I don't feel i'll ever need one 40 27.03%
No, Other (Please explain) 34 22.97%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 9, 2009, 12:29 PM   #51
Brit

Security

Do one armed patrol a week, not a "Dangerous location?" so I now use it when it's cold.

Worked 6 months in a Diamond Store... Every day there!

Joe549

He lives in Canada! Sheep country!

One of my ATM Drivers went off the road, into a field (the Cops said he was real lucky he had on his vest!) buried the nose of his vehicle in a field, real thick fog. He still got a real good bruise from the steering column.
Old February 9, 2009, 09:38 PM   #52
Joe549

Sheep country.....???
Old February 10, 2009, 05:19 AM   #53
Brit

Sheep

Quote:
If you're not in a job that is "high risk" then you should not be allowed to own it.... But thats just my 2 cents and I'm certain many people will be flaming me for it.
not allowed to own it?

Not a flame, just the way Canada has the "We" don't think you need, ban it, all now say, after me "OK"

So much so that the sheep like attitude goes right through the Country.

Ban ownership of... Short barreled hand guns, hi cap magazines, converted from full to semi auto weapons (sorry they can not be called weapons)

They have had registration since 1936! It has never solved one crime!

Plus Snow sounds cold to me!
Old February 10, 2009, 06:23 AM   #54
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
If you're not in a job that is "high risk" then you should not be allowed to own it.... But thats just my 2 cents and I'm certain many people will be flaming me for it.
Won't flame you, but the comment itself is pretty naive. Ballistic vests do no harm in and of themselves. They pose no dangers. However, they offer protection. Why would you want to disallow safety gear?

While not in a high risk profession, the only place I have seen loaded guns pointed at me is at gun ranges, usually by careless, naive, and/or newbie shooters. A ballistic vest is just plain good safety gear like safety glasses.
Old February 10, 2009, 12:56 PM   #55
David Armstrong

Got one from the LEO days, still put it on if I go out on patrol or warrant service. Other than that it sits in the closet.
Old February 10, 2009, 03:58 PM   #56
protectedbyglock

Don't have one.
Couldn't justify it.
I'd like to have one, but I'd like to have a lot of things. Maybe one day.
Old February 10, 2009, 09:39 PM   #57
BillCA

I wore one of the early models made from Kevlar 29 fabric, made by Safariland. It was about 1.5" thick, heavy and hot. But it let me concentrate on the job instead of worrying about a surprise knife or pistol every second.

Just make sure your vest does not contain Zylon which deteriorates up to 20% in 2 years. Those should have been recalled, regardless of manufacturer.

I don't currently have one. Nor do I think they are likely to be useful during a home intruder situation. Not unless you're sure you'll have the minute or so to put it on and set the straps in place.

It would be an advantage in terms of a civil unrest, if you live in or near gang turf or high crime zones or you've been targeted by someone.

A vest purchase hasn't been in my budget, but if a good deal comes along I'd certainly give it serious thought.
Old February 18, 2009, 11:56 PM   #58
armsmaster270

I wore one as an officer when Second Chance first started up before they were a dept issue item. I still wear one when I go on Ride-Alongs with various agencies all over the country. Other than that not normally.
Old February 20, 2009, 07:02 AM   #59
ATW525

Range use. Whenever you're in a place where people are actively handling loaded firearms, there's a chance for unforeseen flying lead. Quite frankly I've seen people at public ranges that I wouldn't trust with an unloaded squirt gun.
Old February 20, 2009, 09:01 AM   #60
scottycoyote

i picked one up last year because i got such a good deal on it, but im seriously thinking of letting it go. Anybody interested in a pointblank vest that will defeat 7.62x54 and 7.62x39 let me know....i think these things sell for about 1200 on their website, 400 would get it from me