The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old August 10, 1999, 11:57 AM   #1
Kodiac

Yesterday moring I spent some quality time at a local indoor range. "Dougs Shooting Sports" on Redwood Road here in Salt Lake City. This was just an informal shoot, and I only brought with me 2 guns - my beloved HK, and my wee little Walther PPK/S.

After some extended range time I came across a stove pipe failer in the Walther. Doing a rapid clearing drill, the gun was back in action again in about 1.5 seconds. I tally up that failure as ammo related as I was using some CHEAP ammo.

The Range it self is rather poor - its in the basement of the shop where customer service is 3rd priority, parking is none existant and traffic entering and exiting makes it almost not worth the effort.

Searching for better Indoor Ranges in the Salt Lake area.

------------------
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old August 10, 1999, 05:56 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

What I like about indoor ranges: quick target change. No rain or mud. Good for dim light shooting training/exercises. Easier to find brass.

What I dislike about indoor ranges: poor air quality (or very cold because of necessary blowers). Artificial lighting. Cost (more per hour if it's not departmentally run).

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old August 10, 1999, 09:01 PM   #3
David Schmidbauer
Retired Screen Name

Kodic;

Does shooting off my porch qualify as "Indoor"?

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Old August 11, 1999, 09:01 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Schmidt, you poor guy. My heart bleeds for ya'

Wish I could shoot off my porch and not tick off the neighbors, city, police etc.
Old August 11, 1999, 09:02 AM   #5
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Though if you moved to NYC like TritonCartridge would like, you would probably get much more practice from your porch.
Old August 11, 1999, 09:46 AM   #6
David Schmidbauer
Retired Screen Name

I don't know about New York. It is not a "Gun Friendly" State... expecially for handguns. I think it is something in the water that causes this.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Old August 11, 1999, 11:05 AM   #7
MGB

Kodiac:

If you are willing to come down to Utah County, I'd highly recommend Rangemasters in Springville -- plenty of parking, good prices, very friendly staff. They have a website at www.rangemsters.com. Another good indoor range is located in Lindon just off I-15. Kind of a pain in the a** to find but worth the effort.
Old August 11, 1999, 11:20 AM   #8
JoeHatley

The Bullethole, our only indoor range in the Omaha area, is a great place. Knowledgeable and friendly folks in the pro-shop. Range area is always clean and in good repair. Only thing that would be nice to have would be longer lanes. It's limited to 25 yards. All in all I think we are lucky to have them.
It would shure would be hard to find a place to shoot if they weren't. Joe

------------------
Go NRA
Old August 11, 1999, 12:13 PM   #9
Kodiac

MGB: You work for Rangemasters?

Sounds good - I will have to look into them - Thanks!

Ah, Guys, the porche thing... On a Montana ranch - Maybe... In New York - this is NOT TFL approved. Unless H.C. is in your Hood!

A good into range is a thing to treasure... If you guys have a favorite Range, this is the place to "Show and Tell."

------------------
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old August 11, 1999, 01:52 PM   #10
chink

I like National Shooting Club (NSC) great place. If you shoot, then you pay for the time at the counter which is typically being attended to by one of 2 good looking chicks, then i get to browse

------------------
It ain't mah fault. did I do dat?
Old August 12, 1999, 02:42 PM   #11
flatlander

Our club has leased the city PD's indoor range for about 20 years, doing the maintenence and upkeep on it for the city. We shot bullseye, PPC, IPSC, and other assorted games that different groups of club members came up with over the years. We bought 40 .22RF rifles for our Jr. program over the years, including 10 of the Rem 540X rifles from the CMP last year. The guys who ran the Jr. program had over 160 different kids down there to shoot a couple of winters ago. We ran the Jr.'s for free- free ammo, free rifles, free shooting glasses & muffs, free targets. This year, the city terminated our lease, supposedly because they're renovating the range, and to keep it open to the public, they'd have to comply with the ADA, which would require a wheelchair ramp, which they estimated would cost an extra $180,000. So, we're looking into building our own indoor range/club house at our range property. Looks pretty expensive to me-maybe $150K. We'll need grants from the Wildlife&Parks Dept. along with the NRA to make it work. Any of you out there have experience with this sort of project?
Old August 12, 1999, 03:28 PM   #12
Kodiac

Hmmm... You can make an appeal to the City - Document the Annual Cost of maintaning the Range, and the revenue generated by your Rent Money...
If you can make a good arguement - the City just may reconsider.
Never HEARD of a police range "going public."
Dont believe that for a second.
Maybe some of the club members could build the ramp. Offer you clubs CERTIFIED instructors to teach classes for the City on a very reasonable basis - and point out youve had NO trouble in that 20 years...

You should be able to get that Range back.
Building a new range can be almost impossable - even if you HAVE the money.

------------------

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old August 13, 1999, 06:41 PM   #13
Kodiac

MGB,
Rangemasters - They located off I-15 south of Pleasant Grove and just North of Orem? You can see them from the Free Way - but getting to the shop is like a rat maze?
If its the same place your talking - I went there once... Nice set up...

I will be there this monday... Sometime between 12 and 2.

------------------

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old August 15, 1999, 08:10 PM   #14
MGB

Nope, that's AF Gun. Rangemasters is in Springville off the Mountain Springs exit. AF Gun has pneumatic pop up targets. Rangemasters has an interactive "video" set up where scenes are projected on a screen. Very fun!!
Old November 20, 2005, 03:51 AM   #15
gdeal

Good Ranges and Good Ammo

Yeah maybe the range is not your fault but I myself always want to use good ammo even if it is just for practice. U have to take care of your babies U know.