The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 29, 2002, 06:40 PM   #1
AndABeer

.416 Rem Mag - lighter loads

I was in Bass Pro today (I am so broke since they opened a local store) and almost picked up some Hornaday .41 Mag pistol bullets. I do not have a S&W 57 (yet). I thought I had heard that I could load these bullets into .416 Rem Mag cases for a softer firing load. I bought the .416 for my trip to Africa but did not fire it once while there (.308 and .338 were all I shot). It is a beautiful safari grade M70 and I would love to shoot it a lot more but A.) those factory rounds are damn expensive and 2.) it just hurts.

So anyway, can you load .41 Mag pistol bullets into .416 cases and shoot them safely? Accurately? Any suggestions for starting loads?

"You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts." Unknown
Old July 29, 2002, 09:36 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Groove and bullet diameter for a .416 are .416"; for the .41 mag, .410." Not real common for the actual caliber to match the name, but those do. I doubt they would shoot like much. I don't know if there are any commercial cast .416" bullets or not. Most of the old .40 caliber rounds are true .405" to .412".