The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 9, 2010, 11:42 PM   #1
jtmckinney

CVA St Lewis Hawkins Brach Plug Removal

I bought this new in 1999 and have been shooting very hot loads. It has also not received perfect maintenence. All the information I have is the breach plug should only be removed by the factory.

I want to remove and inspect the condition of the barrel and breach plug threads and condition of the first couple of inches of the bore. I thought maybe someone on here would know how to get it out and then reinstall it if everything looks ok.

Thanks for any reply.
James
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"
Old August 10, 2010, 12:06 AM   #2
FrontierGander

Dont remove it or else you'll end up having to buy a new barrel for $85.

What kind of loads have you been shooting?
Old August 10, 2010, 12:56 AM   #3
jtmckinney

When I bought it I tried balls. sabots and a couple of other lead bullets and then I bought a box of "Buffalo Bullet Company" 245 grain projectiles, stock # 50245. My search was over but it wasn't until I switched to FFF powder and increased the load over 80 grains.

I kept increasing the powder charge until I did not get any noticable increase in performance which was over 120 grains. I backed the charge to 110 grains and that is what I shoot.

I have measured with my calipers and the barrel is not swelled. My only concern is the breach plug. Maybe I am concerned about nothing.

Where would I get a new barrel?

Thanks for the reply.
James
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"
Old August 10, 2010, 04:54 AM   #4
arcticap

Deer Creek Outfitters, Waldron, Indiana bought the remaining CVA sidelock parts so they would be the outfit to ask. Their phone number is 765-525-6181.
Old August 10, 2010, 09:19 AM   #5
FrontierGander

most likely concerned about nothing.

100gr is the limit by the way. 400 grain projectile weight is also the max.