The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 23, 2002, 02:46 AM   #26
bela

fighting knives

In England ( and otherwhere ) Stanley cutters are considered as "very dangerous weapons.."
Old August 23, 2002, 07:18 AM   #27
David Roberson

In England, I think anything harder and sharper than a marshmallow is considered a "very dangerous weapon." What a sad decline for a once-great country.
Old August 23, 2002, 03:23 PM   #28
CWL

bela,

By your Stanley reference, you mean what we here more commonly call 'box cutters'. They have certainly gained notoriety on this side of the Atlantic after the 9/11 terror attacks.

In England and on the Continent, I believe that Stanleys are typically carried by soccer hooligans for the sport of slashing unsuspecting sportsfans.

I personally don't feel this falls into the category of a fighting knife.
Old August 24, 2002, 06:25 PM   #29
TPS

I almost always carry a Leatherman Wave. I love that thing!

The knife collection keeps growing, but the ones I find myself carrying/using most often:

Leatherman Micra on the keychain
Spyderco Endura plain edge,
Emerson CQC7B
USMC KBar.
Cold Steel Safe Keeper III

Surprisingly, I find myself preferring the Spyderco rather than the Emerson. The thumbhole is more comfortable and ergonomic to me and I've had problems with the tension on the main screw of the CQC7, namely the screw loosening up and the damn blade punching through my pants. @%&#$&!!! Locktite solved the loosening problem, but now the knife doesn't open very smoothly. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm not a big fan of the liner lock on it, either.

The Benchmade 806D2 AFCK AXIS or 721 Mel Pardue looks like my next folder.

Tom
Old August 24, 2002, 09:54 PM   #30
H&K Fan

I usually carry some sort of MicroTech knife and a Leatherman Micra. Also partial to Randall made knives.
Old August 25, 2002, 09:27 PM   #31
Nirel Kassad

Smith & Wesson SWAT folder in my back pocket. Used to use a CRKT folder, still carry it sometimes when discretion is the better part of valor (hard to hide that huge S&W stainless clip hanging out of your pocket). At work (campus safety), a Gerber multitool on my duty belt.
Old August 26, 2002, 07:23 PM   #32
Mannlicher

I carry one, or two, most of the time. I do not entertain any fantasy of using one for defense though. I carry a .45 for that.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old August 28, 2002, 10:56 PM   #33
blackheart

The knife that you can always have on you is the best one at the time, because it available, so I guess that would be my everyday carry Gerber AirRangerII. However I prefer my Randall Model #1 . Fix blades are stronger quicker to for presentation , but folders are easier to carry and attract less attention. No correct answer there are always a trade offs.