The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 10, 2002, 07:37 AM   #1
AndABeer

Portable set up?

Do any of you guys or gals have a completely portable reloading setup? Perhaps not a tumbler but a hand press and other necessaries? What make and model? What size bag or box does/would it all fit into including components?

I will be rotating to night shift in a few weeks were I will generally have nothing to do but wait for stuff to break. It would be nice to pass the time productively provided I don't have to lug 50# of stuff around.

"You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts." Unknown
Old April 10, 2002, 09:51 AM   #2
300winguy

portability

Being a college student I am constantly moving my reloading stuff around. When I wanted to become mobile I found two options to be viable. Midway makes a portable table to mount a press along with some storage bins. That seems like a good idea. I chose to bolt one of my presses to a 3/4in sheet of plywood (19x25in). I drilled holes and mounted a lee press on one corner of the wood. To add thickness and strength to the plywood I screwed on a piece of pine board to go under the press. I than drilled holes and mounted the press using lag bolts with nuts so it can easily be removed(the bolts are flush with the bottom). On the plywood I mounted a powder measure. That is my basic setup. I mounted it on the end of my desk with a C-clamp on the back or side of the plywood. Works like a charm and is cheep and mobile. I have loaded everything from 8mm rem mag to .223 with no problems. I store all my stuff neatly in a rubbermaid container. I can even take the press and powder measure off and put them in the rubbermaid container for ease of travel. The only draw back is that if you reload many cartridges you will have to narrow down specifically what you want to take since everything can't fit. If you are going to use a RCBS press or like, this method wont' work well as those presses are larger. I got the lee press specifically for mobility.
Old April 10, 2002, 11:10 PM   #3
bfox

Get a Lee hand press from Midway.
Mine works good but I have not used it that much.
You could get everything in a shoe box or
grocery bag.
Take Care,Bill
Old April 11, 2002, 03:45 PM   #4
Shoney

I carry my Hornady Loc-N-Load Auto all over when I deem it necessary. I have it clamped to a fixed piece of plywood in the back of my truck, so there is no damage or necessity to break it down. I always take a reloader on my Perennial Pilgrimage of Prairie Poodle Popping and Pulchritudinous Palaver.

I take it to the range for load development, and clamp it right to the bench. The secret is to have a medium sized low profile box, I use an ultra fancy cardboard box, with a 4 inch hole cut in the side, with a piece of Plexiglas over the top for protecting the powder measure from the wind. Works great for me!

Shoney
Old April 14, 2002, 10:19 PM   #5
Sixgun_Symphony

Try the LEE loader.

Http://www.leeprecision.com/