The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 16, 2019, 05:34 PM   #26
Rifletom

IMR SR 4759 would work, IF you can locate some. In 180gr and 200gr bullets, IMR 4198 can be used per Speer book #13.
Old June 17, 2019, 10:43 AM   #27
Unclenick
Staff

Must be an echo in here.

Take a look at the Lyman books for their cast bullet data. Most of it is fine with jacketed bullets if you start between min and max, though the velocities won't be the same.

I don't know whether SR 4759 was discontinued because of lack of manufacturing sources or lack of sales. I know QuickLOAD's author refused to include the IMR SR powders or their 700X and 800X powders in the QL powder database because he found too much inconsistency in them from lot-to-lot due to them being sourced from different makers at different times. Both SR powders are now discontinued. 700X and 800X were moved from the IMR to the Hodgdon brand, but a Hodgdon tech told me today they decided to discontinue 800X at the beginning of the year, so whatever stock they have now will not be reordered when it is depleted. 700X will still be made, and with Hodgdon branding it now, it should be more consistent due to their QC system improvements in the last decade.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle