The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 11, 2011, 01:39 PM   #1
armoredman

Now THAT'S a belt!

High Noon Holsters’ Rock Steady Gun belt

After a few years in a desk position, I noticed an unfortunate “expansion”, located somewhat around the middle. Oops. This in turn meant I had to “widen” my work belt supply. So, being frugal, (AKA, cheap), I decided to buy a replacement down at a local major clothing retailer, “off the rack” as it were. Well, one belt turned into about 5 over a year, as I discovered something that SHOULD have been quite obvious from the get go – dress belts have no “oomph” when it comes to holding up the nifty selection of gear I need for work. After belt number 5 showed signs of giving up the ghost less than 1 month after I bought it, I had had enough. I needed something with style and staying power, and I turned to High Noon Holsters, and their Rock Steady belt. I requested a 1 ½ inch in black finish with brass/gold buckle to fit my employer’s requirements.
I have to say is when I saw the measuring system they requested, it looked goofy. I knew my pant size wasn’t that big. Friends and neighbors, this thing works – USE it. When my belt showed up, it was a perfect fit. But, I get ahead of myself…

First things first, I got a call at work that a package had been dropped off by a certain big brown truck – love those guys. When I walked in the door, I saw this label. Oh, yeah…

When you see that, you know two things - 1), the contents are going to be awesome, and 2) UPS has a dirty conveyor belt. I can live with that.

Contents, you ask? Why, this was inside that little brown box of wonders! Yes, I KNOW it says “44”, I told you I had expanded!

The first impression was high quality in every stitch, and quite surprisingly it was NOT nearly as heavy as I expected. I slid the Rock Steady on right away, to my wife’s vast amusement, and it was PERFECT. Remember that cheap belt? Here it is with the Rock Steady…see if you can guess which one is which.

This is a GUN belt, and I looked forward to putting it to the test – I carry a lot of gear, and I don’t use a regular Sam Browne or other duty belt in my present position. Here’s everything that I would ask it to lug for me.

I know, putting dirty old nylon on that fine leather is like drawing a smiley face on the Mona Lisa, but I lack fundage to replace it just yet. No, no kitchen sink, and no Taser, but that’s my daily load. Is the Rock Steady up for it? Laid the gear in order out on top – I thought that old holster wasn’t going to fit, (which would have REQUIRED a new rig from High Noon, right, honey?), but when I did try it, it slid on. Dang.

Off to work I went. First thing I noticed about the Rock Steady and the uniform required gear is what it DIDN’T do – it didn’t move. The cheap belt sagged immediately and stretched, showing wear easy to see in the above picture – that’s 1 month worth of use. The Rock Steady just said “bring it on”. It feels like being wrapped in gentle steel, as it goes right where it’s supposed to go, but it doesn’t move when in place - just like its name says, absolutely rock steady. I also wore it off duty with my off duty rig, (far less stuff, thankfully), and found the exact same thing. It is a bit tight fit with some of the “other brand” leather gear I bought a while ago, but they slid on finally, and the Rock Steady held everything right where I put it, even concealing a full size duty pistol under a t-shirt in Arizona June weather. Might be time to upgrade the off duty rig too.

So far I have showed this off at work to several co workers, and all I can say is the color green is in the air…

Rock Steady – I discovered it’s not just a catchy name, it’s the truth.
Old June 11, 2011, 01:47 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

I also bought a heavy dress belt after I learned that normal belts won't support a holster, spare ammunition, cuffs and radio. For that matter, any sports coat should have a thin leather lining since any fabric lining will be shredded from use.
Old June 11, 2011, 03:58 PM   #3
GURU1911

My favorite gunbelt

My personal choice as a gunbelt for civilian daily use / carry is the "original wilderness nylon 5-stitch instructors belt"

the worst belt i ever regretted purchasing was a "h-d" brand i purchased from a factory dealer while i was still able to ride my sportster. 2 very thin layers of leather sown together with a fabric liner. It was made in china !!!! For those forum readers who ride h-d motorcycles, please do not waste your money on one of their factory-branded belts sold by dealerships !!!!!

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old June 12, 2011, 08:49 AM   #4
Stealth01

You're RIGHT, you cannot beat a GOOD gun belt!! I just received mine from beltman.com. Took about 30 days for it to be made, but it was worth the wait!!
Old June 23, 2011, 08:22 AM   #5
BlueTrain

I like the looks of things that appear to have actually been carried and used, rather than something out of a sales brochure photo display.
Buy War Bonds.