The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 5, 2010, 06:10 PM   #26
nefprotector

a wooden dowel would fine. Cut it to length so that only 2 shells fit the tube.
Well atleast thats what the rules are in AL. 2 in the mag tube and 1 in the chamber.
Old February 5, 2010, 07:01 PM   #27
grubbylabs

For water fowl federal regulations say you can only have 3 shells. In Idaho Doves are migratory we have to by a migratory permit for them. I am not sure but I think the plug is a federal rule as well. I know around here they will give you a ticket if they can get more than two shells in the mag.
Old February 5, 2010, 07:09 PM   #28
rantingredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZWarts
AZGF wont ticket you if you don't have a plug in
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZWarts
You don't need to have a mag. plug in but you can have no more than 3 rounds in your gun.
I don't know about all that.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Game and Fish Laws
WEAPON – Migratory game birds may be taken only with a
10 gauge or smaller shotgun capable of holding not more than
three shells. Birds may also be taken by falconry or by bow and
arrow, or crossbow.
"Capable of holding" not "loaded with". Capable of holding 3 shells or less means plugged to prevent loading more than 3 (including the one in the chamber) without having to disassemble the weapon.

http://www.azgfd.gov/pdfs/h_f/regula...egulations.pdf

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)

Last edited by rantingredneck; February 5, 2010 at 09:11 PM. Reason: magazine/chamber duh......
Old February 5, 2010, 08:03 PM   #29
OfficialTWill

thanks for all the info, i think i'll keep the plug out for now just because bird season is over here and i've some target practice to do.
Old February 5, 2010, 08:16 PM   #30
rick73852

Ever wonder how a simple thing as a shotgun plug could cause so many different view points and arguments? Try asking a question about anything on here - most the time you get the same result. :barf:
Old February 5, 2010, 08:17 PM   #31
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Best way to remember your plug is to tie it to your favorite/lucky huntin' vest or cap you will always hunt migratory birds while wearing...

The lawman is discretionary in enforcement but the law plainly reads "capable" of holding no more than 3 total rounds.

Some folks know how to "ghost round" a 4th into the receiver of certain makes/models of gun but the savvy 5+ year GW veteran also knows these tricks...
Brent
Old February 5, 2010, 09:37 PM   #32
williamd

My plugs are all cut from dowels. May have one 'official green plastic' Remington. I made one from a limb for a buddy who ended up in the field with no plug.

Keep the Mod bbl. Watch for an IC. Doubtful you'll need more.

Good screw in choke work is not cheap. Cheap screw in choke work is ... well, cheap! The ubes themselves are not cheap either. If you just have to have them then just bite the bullet and buy a bbl with them. It will come with three tubes. But may cost you almost as much as the 870 did! Cabela's, Midway, Brownell's, ... oh, Remington.

I have several bbls with screw in chokes .... don't even remember last time I changed one of the damned things! Most entertaining (and aggravating) thing at a sporting clays range is watching guys madly changing tubes! Then saying, 'guess I should have kept in the xxx'. LOL!!!

The best thing screw in chokes have done is make standard used guns and bbls cheaper!!

Last edited by williamd; February 5, 2010 at 09:43 PM.