The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 2, 2006, 05:12 PM   #1
Ike582

Help identifying a Fox Sterlingworth >>>

Hopefully Mr. Nolden or some of our forum readers can help me with any information on a shotgun. It's an AH Fox Sterlingworth, 12 Ga., SxS, Straight English stock with splinter forend, double triggers, twin ivory beads, extractors. Serial Number is 122199. I'm told it's a Skeet & Upland Game special, but I can't confirm. All of the other Sterlingworth's I've ever seen in pictures have a pistol grip, so this is certainly different.

Can anyone tell me a little about the history of this gun? Is there such a beast as a Skeet/Upland Game Special and is it possible this is one?

Many thanks for any and all assistance,
Ike
Here's a pic:

Old July 3, 2006, 07:33 AM   #2
johnbt

The list in the back of the Blue Book (26th ed.) dates it to 1928.

Sterlingworth Skeet - page 696 - "Similar to Sterlingworth, with 26 or 28 in. skeet boring, straight grip stock."

"This model is very scarce (only several are known) and the extreme rarity factor precludes accurate price evaluation."

Old July 3, 2006, 05:48 PM   #3
Ike582

John, that's where my confusion arises >>>

Thanks John. My info dates the gun to 1928 as well, but all of the Fox info I can find (including Michael McIntosh's "AH Fox: The Finest Gun in the World") shows that the Sterlingworth Skeet & Upland Game gun wasn't issued until 1935. Maybe the English stock was retrofitted, or maybe this is just one of those strange historical details that have been lost in time. I'd really like to be able to determine if the gun is original or has been reworked. Any other avenues to find out more?

Thanks,

Ike
Old July 3, 2006, 06:22 PM   #4
johnbt

I went fishing after I posted this morning and just got back. Let me get a shower and something to eat, I love a good mystery.

John
Old July 3, 2006, 06:44 PM   #5
johnbt

Well heck, I couldn't wait. I decided to have a beer and see what I could find.

Check the choke constrictions on the two ads below. The first is .012/.022, the second is Skeet In/Skeet Out. Skeet is .005. (I don't know what Fox used for Skeet In/Skeet Out, but Winchester used something less than .005 for Skeet #1 and .007 for Skeet #2)

My conclusion so far => they made a Skeet & Upland model and they made a Skeet model. I like the way the second ad begins... "IF YOU CAN FIND ANOTHER ONE OF THESE I WILL GIVE YOU THIS ONE."

Here's a "Sterlingworth Skeet & Upland" for $2750:

"12 Ga. SST, Ejectors. Straight stock, Beavertail Forend, 26” Bbls choked .012 and .022. IC/ MOD. LOP to end of Redhead pad 13 5/8” from rear trigger position. Would be 14 1 /2” from front trigger. DAH is 2 3/8” DAC is 1 3/ 4”. 95% or better orig bbl blue "

www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976591146.htm

Then there's a "Sterlingworth Skeet"

"IF YOU CAN FIND ANOTHER ONE OF THESE I WILL GIVE YOU THIS ONE.FACTORY LETTER 26" SKEET IN SKEET OUT 2 3/4 FACTORY SINGLE TRIGGER EJECTOR LARGE SPLINTER FOREARM ENGLISH GRIP FANTASTIC WOOD FACTORY CHECKERED BUTT AND REAR POSITION SINGLE TRIGGER EXCELLENT ORIGINAL NEAR NEW CONDITION 13 1/2x 2 9/16x 1 9/16x 7-0 oz"

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:...s&ct=clnk&cd=4

Now we need to know is the constriction of the gun is question.

John
Old July 4, 2006, 01:07 AM   #6
Ike582

I'm told it is choked IC/Mod, but haven't neen able to confirm

Thanks again, I owe you one!!
Old July 4, 2006, 09:46 AM   #7
johnbt

That's interesting about the chokes, but I was hoping they'd be SK/SK. I'm still looking for info, but about all I've found are references to Savage introducing the Skeet & Upland gun in 1935.

I can't lay my hands on the link right now, but the 9/02 issue of American Rifleman briefly mentioned that the 1935 Skeet & Upland model was the only straight-stocked gun they made at "no additional charge." Now I don't know if that means the factory after Savage bought Fox or if it includes every gun all the way back to the beginning. The way it read I got the feeling that they'd made custom order guns with straight grips.

I tried to post this last night, but couldn't get on the board. From what I've read you can get a history of the gun, a factory letter, by sending the serial number and $30 to:

Mr. John Callahan
53 Old Quarry Rd.
Westfield, MA 01085

John
Old July 4, 2006, 11:31 AM   #8
Ike582

Thanks, I'll give that a try >>

I appreciate your thoughts and assistance. Many thanks, and enjoy the 4th,

Ike
Old July 5, 2006, 06:44 AM   #9
johnbt

Thank you, I hope you had a good 4th.

They're asking a bunch for that gun, aren't they? Still, it looks great and it is only money.

Good luck (and don't forget to post pictures. )

John
Old July 6, 2006, 08:26 AM   #10
Ike582

It is expensive >>>

Maybe the price is ok if it was clearly verifyable as being the Skeet & Upland Game Special, but (in my opinion) not worth the premium if it was simply a decent Sterlingworth with an original English stock. I've decided to pass on it.

Instead, I've found a really nice, AYA No. 2 with some miles on it but in beautiful shape. At $2,100, it's a great deal and a sweet gun.

Thanks again for all your help. Regards,

Ike