The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 23, 2001, 07:49 PM   #1
jmcbang

IDPA speedloader questions

OK i have just started getting into IDPA. I've been in Cowboy for 4 years and i know how the game kinda works. MY question is to the gear used by revolver competators. While i have the S&W model 19 and a idpa compatable holster, i dont know much about the acceceries. Can some one give me a web site to look at speed loader pouches and speed loaders? Every pouch i have seen has had a velcro top to it. There has to be other options. I would love any info yall can give.
Thanks
J McBang
Old July 23, 2001, 09:44 PM   #2
Ranger Grant

Jimcbang, welcome to IDPA. Since you allready have the S&W M19 and holster, I'd go to the next gun show and find some HKS speed loaders, and some used PD leather or synthetic holders. This will get you by until you have had time to check what the revolver shooters at the club are using. Remember, stay away from pure competition gear. Check www.idpa.com for the specifics on revolver gear rules, and check the sites for Safariland, or Bianci gear (sorry, I don't have the addresses available ). Again, welcome and good luck
Old July 24, 2001, 06:05 AM   #3
Cat

Look at some of these:
Del Fatti
http://personalpages.tds.net/~delfatti/webdoc1.htm

Mernickle
http://www.mernickleholsters.com/

Mitch Rosen
http://www.mitchrosen.com/product_li...duct_line.html

Desantis
http://www.rfholsters.com/rfholsters...p?dept%5Fid=11

Talon Tactical (not shown, but used to make kydex carriers)
http://home.earthlink.net/~mikebened...ontactical.htm

No website, but "The Bear" (no contact info), in (I believe) North Carolina, makes the best one, if you can get in touch with him. It's very similar to the Safariland (illegal) competition model, but is on a leather belt slide, can be had in single or double versions, and is IDPA legal.
Here's the Safariland site:
http://www.safariland.com/dgcat/333.htm

There must be others out there.
Old July 24, 2001, 07:15 AM   #4
GeneS

To follow up what Cat said, the one's Bear makes are really nice. Contact him at:

The Bear's Den
311 Washout Road
Henderson, NC 27536
Phone 252 438-3536

I thought I had an e-mail address but I couldn't find one. Also Bladetech makes a nice carrier but I don't think it's in their online catalog. If you contact them at [email protected] they can give you some info. I believe they are $30 for a single and $50 for a double carrier.
Old July 24, 2001, 09:02 AM   #5
AndyP

I bought the speed loader carriers and a holster for my Ruger KGP-141 from Blade-Tech for eventual use in IDPA (it's really my house gun). The carriers are open top. I have Safariland speedloaders.

As GeneS says, the items aren't on the Blade-Tech website, but you can call them to ask questions and order. They have always been very nice to me.

AndyP
Old July 24, 2001, 09:32 AM   #6
banjobart

The hot set up for IDPA and the model 19 are two Safariland spring metal speedloader holders and two Comp III speedloaders. This is the fastest rig for a K-frame.

It is the favorite rig of the revolver shooters at IDPA headquarters.

I am trying this out with a model 19 next IDPA match. I have been using a 610 or 625 and moon clips and the spring metal holders this year.

Last year I used the excellent Bianci Accu-Mold dual speedloader pouch with Velcro top flap. It was almost as fast as the metal spring clips.

I had to go with the metal spring clips because everyone else at the matches used them and I wanted to compete on a level playing field.
Old July 24, 2001, 10:26 AM   #7
Daniel Watters

Whoa! The metal spring clip holders from Safariland (CD2 and CD6) are supposed to be illegal. It is specifically mentioned in the IDPA rule book.

From Appendix A

Quote:
NON-INCLUSIVE list of holsters and ammunition carriers that are EXCLUDED from IDPA competition.

Bianchi H2045, H2046, H2050, Ernie Hill FAS-TRAC, L/E Original, 1FSM, 3FTM, Galco Gunsite, Safariland 011, 009, 010, 002, 003, 007, 077, 771, CD2 & CD6 (these are the spring clips), 333, Sparks 1AT.
From the Rulebook's FAQ

Quote:
WHAT TYPE OF SPEEDLOADERS & CARRIERS ARE PERMITTED? All currently available speedloaders are approved. However, only secure holders suitable for continuous daily carry may be used. Basically go to pages 1 & 2 of the rulebook and carefully read “Purpose” & “Principles”. Speedloader holders such as the Safariland CD model obviously don’t comply. Ask yourself, could I carry that speedloader in that pouch all day concealed without worrying about losing it? If the honest answer is yes, you may use it.
Old July 26, 2001, 07:30 PM   #8
banjobart

Call IDPA headquarters and ask if anyone there uses the Safriland Comp III's or the metal spring clip holders. The answer was yes last month when my buddy called. Some else said that is what Ken Hackathorn uses, too.

These metal clip holders and Comp III's are used all over Michigan at IDPA matches.
Old July 27, 2001, 09:06 AM   #9
banjobart

Wow, does actual practice sometimne differ from the rulebook! I'm wrong in part.

It must be the Comp III speedloaders that many use but they put them in a different holder from the spring clip variety.

I may take the rule book along to a match, now that I have read a little of it.
Old July 29, 2001, 11:39 AM   #10
BillOH

Ken Hackathorn uses the Comp 3 speedloaders and the new Blade-Tech speedloader holders. I use the same thing. Ken told me the spring clips from Safariland are not IDPA approved because the speedloaders fall out easily. Some local clubs don't say anything when the clips are used because there weren't any carriers that were fast except them. The Blade-Tech holders are every bit as fast as the Safariland clips and they are much more secure.
Bill Nesbitt
Old July 29, 2001, 06:47 PM   #11
banjobart

Thanks
Old July 29, 2001, 07:05 PM   #12
BillOH

I forgot to mention. If you are going to use Comp 3 speedloaders in a Blade-Tech holder you must tell Blade-Tech when you order it. The dimensions are a little different from other speedloaders. It takes a little while to get the holders but the wait is worth it.
Bill Nesbitt
Old August 1, 2001, 09:57 PM   #13
P99

We've gpt a guy at our club who uses the Comp 3 speed loaders, but he keeps them in his front pockets. Before you laugh, he qualified as Expert and almost made Master doing it this way.

P99
Old August 5, 2001, 10:07 AM   #14
BillOH

I carry an extra Comp 3 in the pocket of my vest. Makes for a fast tac-load. Just dump fired & unfired rounds in pocket, grab speedloader & load.
Bill Nesbitt
Old August 8, 2001, 08:47 PM   #15
banjobart

A fellow showed me last weekend at the Michigan State IDPA match the Ted Blocked twisted wire holder for Comp III's. It looks a lot less tactical than a Safariland CD 2 . It is a little piece of twisted wire that holds the speedloader on your belt. He said that Ken Hackathorn uses them and wrote it up in IDPA's Tactical Journal last winter. These holders look much more gamey than a CD 2. I am ordering three tomorrow from tedblocker.com.