The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 11, 2012, 05:22 PM   #1
thedaddycat

What do you guys do with 9mm brass?

When I go to the range, I police the brass. I've noticed that there's a lot of 9mm brass around, and it seems like a lot of guys don't even bother picking it up. I've talked to a friend about the economics of reloading it, and he told me that when he runs out of components he's not going to even bother with it as the time and effort to reload the 9mm Luger is not worth the cost savings over just buying more.

Anyhow, I have over 23# of 9mm brass that he doesn't want and I'm not really interested in reloading it at this point either. So the question is this: What do you guys do with 9mm brass if you're not going to reload it? Scrap it, trade it, prep it and just leave it in a bucket (just in case...)?

I also have a fair bit of .40 S&W brass but I don't have anything chambered in this round. For now I'm just putting it aside in case I ever do get a pistol that shoots it...
Old October 11, 2012, 05:37 PM   #2
zxcvbob

I do reload 9mm, but I have more than I will ever need. So I have it cleaned and polished and in a couple of gallon ziplock bags (it really doesn't take up that much room) and I don't pick up 9mm anymore. Unless it's mine that I just shot, or if I'm picking up .380 brass and some 9 gets mixed in.

If nobody else wants it, you can sell it as scrap. I'm not sure I could bring myself to do that.
Old October 11, 2012, 05:39 PM   #3
chris in va

Sell it. Plenty of people around the US that don't have access to range brass.

I cast for 9mm. It's the only way I can justify reloading the caliber.
Old October 11, 2012, 05:41 PM   #4
Fishing_Cabin

I would say if you have the space, save a certain amount if you ever think you may get a 9mm and may reload.

I reload it, so I know there is a small market out there for it.

Also, a big "THANK YOU" for policing your range, and picking up after others.
Old October 11, 2012, 05:44 PM   #5
arch308

I reload it.

Keeps me of the streets at night.
Old October 11, 2012, 05:46 PM   #6
rclark

I will pick it (9mm, 40, etc.) up at the range just to clean it up (why some shooters can't 'bend over' and clean their own mess up is beyond me) . I put in a bucket when I get home. Eventually it will go to the recycler as I don't have any guns to shoot it ... nor will I. Now .45 ACP I'll save except for the small primer brass.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old October 11, 2012, 05:53 PM   #7
hoytinak

I don't reload but I do pick up my brass. I always just leave it on one of the tables/benches as I know there's several others that might want it and it's always gone when I go back so hopefully someone is using it.
Old October 11, 2012, 05:55 PM   #8
lee n. field

Quote:
What do you guys do with 9mm brass?
Brass is a precious metal. Waste not, want not.

I scavenge and reload 9mm, as well as everything else I shoot.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 11, 2012, 06:02 PM   #9
testuser

I guess if you only fired a few boxes a year, then it's probably not worth it. Otherwise, if you're a reloader, then you might as well.

I already have the primers and powder in bulk...so to start reloading 9mm was just the cost of dies and $90 to $100 for 1,000 projectiles. I use the same bullets in the .38 Super, so I'm drawing from the same stock of projectiles. I have no idea how many of that 1,000 will end up as .38 Super or 9mm when I buy them, of course!

My reloads are $7.50 per 50, so I've already made the price of dies back in the 2k or 3k rounds of 9mm I've reloaded in the last couple of years.

I like to shoot a variety of calibers, so reloading makes sense. If I spend $200 for powder and primers, then I can use that stockpile on any caliber I choose to shoot. If I spend $200 on 9mm, then all I get is $200 worth of 9mm.

Point is...if I'm going to shoot a caliber a lot, then I'd rather take the money and buy components instead. They're more versatille.
Old October 11, 2012, 06:02 PM   #10
thedaddycat

One of the reasons I police the ranges is that I always find at least half a dozen LIVE rounds of .22 LR (and sometimes one or two in other chamberings) which go in the "Dud" can. That's just a safety issue for me. I pick up anything that's brass but do get a steel case every now and then. A magnet takes care of those ones.

I do have the 9mm combo of a S&W 459/Marlin Camp 9 which share chambering and magazines. OK, the smaller Marlin mag will not work in the Smith, but the Smith mags work in the Camp 9. Still, I already have at least 1 K of 9mm on the shelf and don't shoot it that much so I don't feel the need to reload this chambering.

Maybe if I had started casting bullets I would reload the 9, but I blew it big time about two years ago. I scrapped 700# of lead at 50 cents a pound....(head thumping on table...)
Old October 11, 2012, 06:20 PM   #11
tobnpr

I've got a boatload of it to trim for my 9x18 CZ...

But, I'm in agreement that- when it comes to plinking ammo- it's not worth the hassle for the dollars saved, unless you buy components in bulk; and even then, savings are minimal for the 9mm luger. Federal at Wally World is just too cheap...

Now, it would be a different story for precision target ammo...

I already load around 400 large caliber centerfire rounds a month, so it's not like I'm looking to spend any more time at the reloading bench.
Old October 11, 2012, 08:00 PM   #12
Misssissippi Dave

I reload 9 mm quite a bit. I consider it a hobby and not a job. It is nice to something you enjoy. If it saves me money that is fine too. I load 124 FMJ 9 mm for about $6.50 per 50. I can't find any cheap plinking ammo for that price. My ammo, I consider better than the cheap plinking stuff too. It makes it a little harder to put the true cost savings on it. I can easily put out 300 rounds per hour on my press. I guess reloading only saves me around $15 or more for every hour I'm loading 9 mm. I can cut the cost even more by using different bullets or loading other calibers. I figure if I was to just break even loading 9 mm I would still do it. Shopping around for components and buying in bulk will bring the cost to load any caliber down to less than factory ammo. As I have said, It is a hobby.

You might put an ad out to sell the brass you have. As a last resort recycling it is another option.

I have only a couple thousand cases that need filling now and I do have a few cases waiting to be shot. I guess you could say I'm good for the rest of the year.

I guess your friend doesn't care that much for reloading to want to stop loading a caliber that costs the same or less to reload compared to factory ammo.
Old October 11, 2012, 08:16 PM   #13
medalguy

I still pick it up whenever I find it. I reloaded about 15,000 rounds of 9 last year, and shot most of that. Good winter project.

Another good use for it, as mentioned, is to supply those who don't have access to brass. I have sent several flat rate boxes full to new shooters or reloaders to help them get started. Try listing it in a Pay It Forward thread and see how many guys jump on it.
Old October 11, 2012, 08:54 PM   #14
Chuckusaret

I have reduced my range visits from weekly to bi-weekly, not because of costs, and on average I only expend about 100 to 150 rounds per visit and I get my ammo at the wholesale price. I don't reload so why pick it up, let the range recycle it to help reduce the cost of operation.
Old October 11, 2012, 09:06 PM   #15
tkglazie

I reload it. My reloads shoot more accurately, more cleanly and are less expensive than the cheapest factory ammo by about 40%. Whats not to like?
Old October 11, 2012, 09:10 PM   #16
Wahoo95

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkglazie View Post
I reload it. My reloads shoot more accurately, more cleanly and are less expensive than the cheapest factory ammo by about 40%. Whats not to like?
^This^…my loads cost me around $5/box and the ammo is better. This has allowed me to shoot a lot more more than I used to when I was buying commercial ammo.
Old October 11, 2012, 09:40 PM   #17
the led farmer

i pick it up, reload it, shoot it, pick it up, reload it, shoot it. . .it's a never ending cycle.
Old October 11, 2012, 10:17 PM   #18
tkglazie

Quote:
This has allowed me to shoot a lot more more than I used to when I was buying commercial ammo.
Exactly. This is what I tell anyone who asks me how much money I save by reloading. As we all know now that we are into the hobby, the answer to that question is NONE, we just get to shoot a LOT more with whatever money we were going to spend on ammo to begin with.
Old October 11, 2012, 10:49 PM   #19
Misssissippi Dave

Quote:
Quote:
This has allowed me to shoot a lot more more than I used to when I was buying commercial ammo.
Exactly. This is what I tell anyone who asks me how much money I save by reloading. As we all know now that we are into the hobby, the answer to that question is NONE, we just get to shoot a LOT more with whatever money we were going to spend on ammo to begin with.
1+
Old October 11, 2012, 10:57 PM   #20
jimbob86

Quote:
I've talked to a friend about the economics of reloading it, and he told me that when he runs out of components he's not going to even bother with it as the time and effort to reload the 9mm Luger is not worth the cost savings over just buying more.
He's got more money than time apparently. Such a problem is not universal.
Old October 11, 2012, 11:56 PM   #21
the led farmer

Quote:
I've talked to a friend about the economics of reloading it, and he told me that when he runs out of components he's not going to even bother with it as the time and effort to reload the 9mm Luger is not worth the cost savings over just buying more.
yes i could buy cheaper ammo. but will i be able to hit those rounds inside a baseball anywhere i want within 25 yards?

i don't reload to save money, i gave up on that shortly after i started. i reload to be dead nutz accurate with me guns
Old October 12, 2012, 12:01 AM   #22
djcantr

I pick up any and all brass. I couldn't imagine having "too much" unless I owned a range. I tumble my brass and then store it in 6qt Sterilite totes by caliber. Look kind of like shoe boxes. I have about 4 of them full of 9mm brass. I suppose if I had about 20 of them full I might start thinking I had too much. I save it and reload it. I save a little, but not as much as other calibers. I like the ability to load some when the shelves are bare, though.

Last edited by djcantr; October 12, 2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old October 12, 2012, 12:10 AM   #23
djcantr

Quote:
Originally Posted by medalguy
I still pick it up whenever I find it. I reloaded about 15,000 rounds of 9 last year, and shot most of that. Good winter project.

Another good use for it, as mentioned, is to supply those who don't have access to brass. I have sent several flat rate boxes full to new shooters or reloaders to help them get started. Try listing it in a Pay It Forward thread and see how many guys jump on it.
That is another good use of it. Even if you might not use it, it'd be good to pass along to a buddy or to somebody just starting out who needs brass. I had somebody send me 1,500 .45 ACP cases when I was just getting started. Another gifted me 3k .40 S&W cases when I started loading for it. I payed it forward by putting together a package for a new reloader with a manual, brass, bullets, powder and primers (along with loaning him my dies) to get him going. Even if you can't use it, if it's just going to sit out there on the ground at the range, you might as well pick it up and get it to somebody who would appreciate it.
Old October 12, 2012, 06:52 PM   #24
jimbob86

Quote:
You are a Good Man. That is a great idea, and I'm stealing it. Thanks!

ETA: Unfortunately, the PIF thread has been locked.....

Time to start anew!

Last edited by jimbob86; October 12, 2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old October 13, 2012, 06:43 PM   #25
biganimal

as I cast my own bullets and buy powder & primers in bulk I spend 4 cents per rd to load 9mm. thats $2.00 per 50 and $40.00 per 1000.

if I could buy new loaded ammo for less I sure would!!