The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 15, 2010, 11:21 AM   #26
Scout

I keep big dogs around too. They make a racket whenever anyone comes close to the house. As far as the common area goes, I agree with the idea of implementing a sort of neighborhood watch. Hammer the police with complaints until these guys are run off.
Old June 15, 2010, 12:14 PM   #27
Ronbert

An option I haven't seen mentioned is to offer to pay one of the regulars to pick up the trash.

Would cost a bit for awhile but it would tend to apply pressure to the others to not make so much work for the picker-upper.
Old June 15, 2010, 12:43 PM   #28
riverwalker76

A "No Loitering After Dark by Order of the Police Dept." sign fixed a similar situation in my old neighborhood. Before I bought the house where I now live ... I lived in town with a neighborhood basketball court and similar situations arose from that.

Then again .... if you call the police department everytime you suspect "underage drinking" or " underage sexual activity" they will come out and handle it for you. After a few times of this ... the kids will find somewhere else to go.

Quote:
I keep big dogs around too. They make a racket whenever anyone comes close to the house.
This is a bad idea ... in my opinion.

Learn the laws of your area. A barking dog can be seen as a nuisance in certain areas, and you could soon become as disliked as the loitering kids if you aren't careful.
Old June 15, 2010, 01:21 PM   #29
WW2

Tennis anyone?

Why not encourage several neighbors to join you in a game of tennis at night?

If the courts are used for their intended purpose it would not be attractive as a "hang out".
Old June 15, 2010, 05:42 PM   #30
BGutzman

Music may sound silly to some (Barry M), but seriously this has worked for malls and stores like walgreens.

No violence, no harm... Its so uncool for them to have to listen to it that they will move on.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...icle689024.ece

http://www.neatorama.com/2009/03/06/...ter-mall-rats/

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...th.html?cat=17

It might sound silly but it should work.
Old June 15, 2010, 06:11 PM   #31
robmkivseries70

A year or so ago there was talk on TV about a device that makes a High Pitched tone that would be very irritating to those with young enough ears and inaudible to us older folk. Indeed, the whole idea was for property owners to force gang wannabes to get the urge to move on. Of course in a residential area it may set off all the watch dogs. It may be an idea worth researching by those in need.
Best,
Rob
Old June 16, 2010, 05:56 AM   #32
BlueTrain

I've been thinking more about this and here's a few more comments.

First, although I don't think it's a good idea to be reloading ammunition in public view, I doubt most people could tell what you were doing sitting hunched over a reloading bench, unless you're only six feet from the sidewalk.

Second, isn't it ironic that when you keep firearms around, partly for defensive purposes, that they become a target for thieves. That's a little like describing an armored personnel carrier as a "bullet magnet."
Buy War Bonds.
Old June 16, 2010, 09:34 PM   #33
Dr. Strangelove

Go to your homeowners association, if you have one. It's probably not all "neighborhood kids", but a few and their friends. See if you can get a lock put on the tennis courts, accessible only by homeowners. Even just bringing it up means that the homeowners association will have to do something about it, or at least acknowledge in writing that the problem exists.

Go to your local Sheriff or Police office, and explain what is going on, that local youth are using the are as an underage hangout for partying. Mention the multiple break-ins on your vehicle and ask for increased patrols.
Old June 16, 2010, 10:26 PM   #34
BGutzman

You could buy some skunk scent oil and perfume the place to a revolting degree.
Old June 16, 2010, 11:31 PM   #35
the rifleer

I agree with getting other people to go play tennis. They couldn't really refuse to get off the courts because that is what they are for; playing tennis. If they don't, whip out your cell phone and make the call... A tennis raquet in your hand and they probably wont cause any trouble.

Its plain and simple, get the whole community to display obvious disapproval of it... If you bug the cops enough they WILL do something about it.
Old June 17, 2010, 06:53 AM   #36
booker_t

If all else fails...

Old June 17, 2010, 03:33 PM   #37
markj

This is a problem in most large cities. In Omaha a group of neighbors actually took the basketball hoops down, the thugs went elsewhere for their fun and games. Not legal but it did work for them for awhile.

Some of these are kids, some are older that use the younger kids to do their dirty work. Kids just need something to keep their attention. We had the elkhorn river for our play ground and at the time thousands of acres to roam. But, we still managed to get into trouble. Maybe it is a growing up thing?
Old June 17, 2010, 05:33 PM   #38
FourteenMiles

Maybe a motion sensing light for your driveway, and a trash barrel and sign stating the applicable laws for littering would help at the tennis courts.