The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 12, 2012, 07:54 PM   #1
357 mag

semi-auto magazine question?

If I insert a loaded magazine in a semi auto will the bullet be inserted in the chamber without pulling the slide back? I bought my first semi auto today I always been a revolver Guy and was just curious
Old October 12, 2012, 08:01 PM   #2
Powderman

To answer your question, no. The slide must be pulled to the rear and released with a loaded magazine to chamber a round.

Also, if a loaded magazine is inserted in a pistol with the slide locked to the rear, when the slide is released to move forward it chambers a round.

Finally, remember rule number 1:

ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED.

NEVER assume that a gun--ANY gun--is unloaded.

First point the gun in a safe direction--one that will STOP a bullet cold.

Remove the magazine.
Pull the slide to the rear, and lock it into place.
Visually and PHYSICALLY check the chamber.

Leave slide open. The pistol is now clear.

If the gun leaves your hand, EVEN FOR A SECOND, ALWAYS assume that the gun has LOADED ITSELF.

Clear it again.

Finally, a suggestion--I highly recommend that you find an NRA First Steps and Basic Pistol course. This will acquaint you on handguns in a positive and safe manner. Best of luck to you!
Old October 12, 2012, 09:26 PM   #3
shortwave

Very good advice from Powderman.

As Powderman explained, if your slide is back and you insert a loaded mag and release the slide forward, you now have a round in the chamber.

I'm going to add that once you have done the above and want to unload the pistol, simply removing the mag does NOT unload the pistol. You will still have the chambered round that was stripped from the mag when you released the slide when loading.

Sooo.. to unload... remove mag ,pull slide back and chambered round will eject out ejection port. Then you can visually inspect that the chamber is clear.
Old October 13, 2012, 01:29 AM   #4
bamaranger

c'mon

Surely, this is a troll.
Old October 13, 2012, 02:33 AM   #5
FloridaVeteran

Maybe not a troll - the "always been a revolver guy" part might mean a different amount of experience to the OP than it does to us.

I trained my kids on revolvers. Gave a semi-auto to a son, when he was well into adulthood and had a renewed interest in firearms, and he had the exact same lack of knowledge about chambering a round as does the OP. It just hadn't occurred to me that he would not know this, after seeing me rack rounds for him at the range during his intro to the gun.

Best not to humiliate anyone who comes here for advice, IMO.
Old October 13, 2012, 03:04 AM   #6
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
Maybe not a troll - the "always been a revolver guy" part might mean a different amount of experience to the OP than it does to us.
FloridaVeteran

This board and every other board is full of trolls and every misinformed messages are all about.

Point of the troll comment, it's just to easy to do a Google?
Old October 13, 2012, 07:05 AM   #7
Kreyzhorse

357 Mag, in all seriousness, why not take a safety class at a local range if you are unfamiliar with autos? That might serve you in well in the long term.
Old October 13, 2012, 07:18 AM   #8
357 mag

No I'm nor a troll... btw wat does that mean...?
Old October 13, 2012, 08:15 AM   #9
Sparks1957

How would a round get into the chamber when the slide is forward and physically blocking the chamber?

I know you're a revolver guy, but it sounds like are so unfamilar with how firearms work that you may want to get some basic training to avoid being a danger to yourself and others.
Old October 13, 2012, 08:25 AM   #10
shortwave

Quote:
Point of the troll comment, it's just to easy to do a Google?
If that's the point of the troll comment then anyone that's ever come here and asked any question is a troll. I've never Google'd a question I didn't get an answer to.

While the answers to some questions may be obvious to some with experience in that field, a person with no experience in that field should never be condemned for asking ANY question.

Helping others, learning ourselves and having general firearm conversation is what TFL is supposed to be about...or so I thought.

Powderman gave very good advice in his post advising the OP to take a basic firearms course.
Old October 13, 2012, 09:01 AM   #11
larryh1108

Perhaps we should just be a read-only board? You cannot come here and ask ANY question that you did not:
1) Google first
2) Do a search of the forum first
3) If you have less than 1000 posts
4) You never took a course in handgun safety
5) All of the above

Seriously, if you don't have an answer to a question from a newbie then don't post anything instead of becoming a bully and chasing the new guy off the boards. If we can control who is allowed to ask questions we can clean up these boards! No newbies with dumb questions allowed! Now, with that said we can just go on and talk about caliber wars, if we can only have 3 guns and which 9mm to buy for self defense. I'm sure the old guys on this board can impart their wisdom on these fine topics.
Old October 13, 2012, 09:06 AM   #12
Amsdorf

How about we give the guy the benefit of the doubt and not jump down his throat?

He may well be entirely ignorant of how a semi-automatic pistol works.

If he is, in fact, a troll, that will be revealed in due time. I think it is always really obnoxious for members of a forum to get on people's case for asking a question.

As far as I know, nobody is holding a gun to your head forcing you to read anything here, or opening up any new topic.

Old October 13, 2012, 09:13 AM   #13
357 mag

I am not a troll... I was just asking a question? Which I thought was the whole point of this website???
Old October 13, 2012, 09:24 AM   #14
357 mag

Like I said before this is my first semi auto and every handgun I had has been a revolver I don't have alot of experience with semi autos I have a Glock 23 btw and just wanted to know a question about the magazine that is all

P.s. thanks to the first Guy for answering the question.
Old October 13, 2012, 09:58 AM   #15
shortwave

357 mag,

I see you don't have many post here on TFL and most likely a newer member.

You have any more questions, please come back and ask them. Someone will surely answer ya.
Old October 13, 2012, 10:08 AM   #16
marine6680

BTW...

A troll if you do not know...

Is someone who gets on the internet and makes comments, asks questions, or otherwise writes publicly (like in forums) in a manner designed to anger and incite people.

An example would be someone going to a Democrat Party forum and starting a new thread titled. "George Bush Rules!"

Or an Anti-gunner posting on this forum about the "evils" of gun ownership.

Its just asking for trouble and arguments.

And the first two posts should have answered your questions.
Old October 13, 2012, 10:11 AM   #17
manta49

I am just glad you will be nowhere near me when you take it out for a shot.

Last edited by manta49; October 13, 2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old October 13, 2012, 10:29 AM   #18
357 mag

Its not like I don't have experience with handguns I know how to handle a gun I just don't have much experience with semi autos I know how they mainly work and will treat like all the other guns I have. I pretty much have everything down packed now thanks for your answers and no I'm not a troll..
Old October 13, 2012, 10:40 AM   #19
NRA_guy

Unless we were born with the understanding of semi-auto, magazine fed handguns, there was a time in our lives when we didn't know the answer, either.

Don't let this forum descend to the depths of AR15's General Discussion section. They eat folks alive there just for fun.

That is, unless he asks which is better .45 or 9 mm.
Old October 13, 2012, 10:50 AM   #20
KMAX

357 Mag:
Don't let a few smart aleck comments discourage you from visiting and posting in this forum. There are a lot of knowledgable folks here who will be happy to help you with any questions you may have. There are some smart alecks too, which I probably have been guilty of myself at times. Sift through the responses and ignore the useless ones. While your question may seem silly to some we need to remember that there was a time when each of us didn't know what we do now. We are here because of a common interest in firearms.

Enjoy your new semi-auto and shoot safe.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old October 13, 2012, 10:59 AM   #21
manta49

I would suggest as others have go to a range or out with some that is knowledgeable with semi-auto pistols. As with all firearms they can be dangerous if not used correctly semi-autos especially if someone is not sure how they operate. Good luck.
Old October 13, 2012, 07:57 PM   #22
FloridaVeteran

357 Mag - you sound exactly like my son. He had the same relative experience and question after I had given him his first semi-auto. He could have been in a world of hurt in a self-defense situation if he hadn't later asked me, because he thought that inserting the mag was all that was needed to be ready to fire. Two working parents with kids, no time to watch the gun shows on Outdoor and Sportsman cable channels.

Welcome to the forum and good for you, for accepting skeptical challenges and sticking with it. Glad you have thick skin. Real trolls are figured out in fairly short order, in my experience. I am relatively new to this forum, but not to forums in general and have been a shooter and gun-lover for 60 years, though not nearly at as high a level as some of these guys. There is still a heck of a lot that I don't know and when I ask questions here and I always get outstanding, competent answers.
Old October 13, 2012, 08:04 PM   #23
jmr40

I know of no gun designed to do this, but it happens quite often with some guns. If you insert the magazine forcefully it you will sometimes release the slide stop closing the slide and chambering a round. My Glocks seem to do it more often than other guns, but I've had it happen with several makes including rifles such as AR's

It doesn't hurt anything and there is nothing wrong with your gun if it does it even though your gun is not designed specifically to do this.
Old October 13, 2012, 09:04 PM   #24
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
While the answers to some questions may be obvious to some with experience in that field, a person with no experience in that field should never be condemned for asking ANY question.

Helping others, learning ourselves and having general firearm conversation is what TFL is supposed to be about...or so I thought.
Fair enough, I agree.

<snip>

Last edited by JohnKSa; October 13, 2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: No Forum Wars.
Old October 13, 2012, 09:07 PM   #25
TailGator

Perhaps we should remember that whatever we know about firearms we learned somewhere. Knowledge of handguns is neither congenital nor genetic. I'm 55, and I learn something nearly every day. I expect and hope to keep learning until the first shovelful of dirt goes over my face.
Closed Thread