The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 1, 2008, 08:21 PM   #1
jaymag

RELIBLE!inlines???

Does the split brech style inlines fire more reliable?I have a cva buckhorn low end gun.I like, it when it shoots,but somtimes it misfirers, no matter how clean it is.I don't want to fight with peaple what im doing wrong.I Know im doing everything right but but is there a more reliable STYLE inline??
Old September 1, 2008, 08:38 PM   #2
simonkenton

I have a Savage. Very reliable.
I know the Omega to be reliable.
Old September 1, 2008, 10:45 PM   #3
fastforty

I have a CVA inline & it's reliable. When I seat a ball or bullet, smoke comes out of the nipple hole, telling me that all is clear. Sometimes, I can feel the difference when the hole plugs with powder before the ramrod is all the way in. Either way, I poke a nipple pick in the hole before I cap it & have never had a mis- or hang- fire.

You can also get replacement nipples that split the fire from the cap as it goes into the powder "chamber" or adapt it to use musket caps (those things are knarly, & they don't light the charge, you've poured dirt down your barrel instead of black powder).
Old September 1, 2008, 10:55 PM   #4
arcticap

Every inline should be reliable if the primer fires, the powder is good and there is nothing obstructing the flame channel. A flame channel might be more prone to getting obstructed if the breech plug is poorly designed, constructed or not properly maintained. Sometimes the problem can be fixed with a new breechplug, by using a better cleaning procedure between shots, or by using different powder or primers.
If you really want to try out another gun, than any type of action should be fine whether it's a break action or not.
Thompson Center guns do have a "no b.s." lifetime warranty and they will fix anything that goes wrong or at least check anything out that you send into them with a complaint.
More expensive guns should be more reliable, but just like with centerfire guns, every company can produce a lemon whether it's a break action muzzle loader or another design.
The new Knight Shadow and the Traditions Pursuit XLT break actions seem to have a good reputation for being reliable since they were chosen as new muzzle loaders of the year for 2008 by Field & Stream:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articl...Rifles-of-2008
Old September 2, 2008, 08:56 PM   #5
jaymag

caps where open!!

I made sure made cap holes where clear.The whole gun was clean.Used Triple seven 50gr.pellets dry.With fresh percusion caps.Is there more relable guns.Such as higher price split brech guns???
Old September 2, 2008, 11:07 PM   #6
arcticap

When you say "split breech", I'm thinking that you mean break action.
The Shadow and Pursuit XLT have break actions where the action breaks open or splits open like an over/under or single shot shotgun.
Are you referring to a different type of action?

If you want an action like the CVA Staghorn, that has a conventional "plunger action" with a plunger or striker (slam fire) type of bolt mechanism.
The most expensive model like that is probably the TC Black Diamond.
I think that there's a long range model Black Diamond, and Black Diamonds can use either #11 caps, musket caps or 209 primers for ignition.
Old September 3, 2008, 07:01 AM   #7
mykeal

He keeps asking if there are more reliable designs. I thought you answered that, but just to make it crystal clear:

No. There is nothing about 'split breach' or break action designs that makes them more reliable.
Old September 3, 2008, 11:21 AM   #8
bejay

the pellets is probably the problem ive seen some of the older inline knights that used percusion caps that would misfire also when using pellets but will go off every time when using powder.
bet if you switch to powder you will probably solve your misfire problems otherwise you will probably want a more powerful ignition system like musket caps or 209 primers to be reliable with the pellets.
Old September 3, 2008, 03:29 PM   #9
Wild Bill Bucks

Articap and bejay are telling it right, the problem is probably in your pellet type propellant. Pellets were made to be used with #209 primers and musket caps. I had the same problem with the first inline I owned that had percussion cap firing. I simply bought a replacement plug that used #209 primers and the problem went away.

The other possibility is that you may not be putting the ignition part of the pellet down the barrel first. Notice that your pellets have a dark ring around one end. That is the ignition powder on the pellet, and should be placed against the firing hole of your rifle. In other words, put the black ring in first.

The little black ring is made to ignite easier to start the pellet burning.

Personally, I prefer to shoot loose powder, and that way you don't have to worry about it.
Old September 3, 2008, 04:21 PM   #10
Daugherty16

Traditions Pursuit - Great rifle

I've had a Pursuit for 3 years now; it'll shoot the wings off a gnat at 100 yards. totally reliable, ignites every time. I shoot whatever 209 primers i can find and always 777 pellets. Seriously, this gun cuts bullseyes right out of the target. I'm not surprised to see it's newer cousin ranked #1 in the recent F&S.

However, blackpowder isn't clean. To spend a fun day at the range, i make up a tupperware full of spit patches (just patches with blackpowder solvent soaking them) and run one through after every 2-3 shots. Keeps everything clean and working well so i can get my hands dirty. In the field, i suggest putting a small balloon, or even a piece of electricians tape, over the end of the barrel. I do it now with all my rifles if i'm in the woods - keeps stuff out, keeps rain and snow out, keeps the powder dry. I've seen one test only - and they concluded that tape on the muzzle either had no effect or on some rifles, improved accuracy. Even if that's not true, it'll always keep water and dirt out.

Can't see why the CVA wouldn't work well, too. Always a good idea to get a nipple pick so you can keep the touchhole clean. Hope that helps.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.
Old September 3, 2008, 05:25 PM   #11
whosyrdaddy

Quote:
Used Triple seven 50gr.pellets dry.With fresh percusion caps.
From Hodgdon.com ;

Quote:
Designed for use in 50 caliber in-line rifles. A single Pellet may be used for target or small game and two 50/50 Pellets may be used to create the 100 gr. equivalent for big game. Packed 100 Pellets to the box or 24 Pellets to the card. Easy clean-up, just like Triple Seven granular powder. Designed for use with 209 shotshelll primers only.
Old September 4, 2008, 05:24 AM   #12
bejay

its been several years since ive tried using pellets, and I didnt quit using them from ignition problems as my gun used 209 primers it always fired, but the accuracy was horrible not even good enough to hunt with, switching to powder made all the difference in accuracy and although the pellets may have improved since ive tried them, I dont miss them at all and have no intentions of buying anymore pellets ever.