The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 18, 2014, 11:54 AM   #26
precision_shooter

Glad you found some, and I hope they work for your pistol as well!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old August 18, 2014, 12:02 PM   #27
Sevens

Quote:
Well the good new is I found the magtech 240 grain fmj at cabelas for $34.99 with free shipping over $99. So with that I ordered 4 boxes to get the free shipping. I hope they work if not I'm going to have a 44 mag ammo sale...lol
You have been running full bore down ONE ROAD to try and skin this cat, and thus far, it's been frustrating.

I have the luxury of a different point of view.

I say you are killing yourself in the wrong direction, and you should be funneling your money, time and energy in to setting yourself up to handload for that big ugly pistol. You will spend more money getting where you need to be, but you will love every minute of it, your "experience" in all of it will unfold exponentially and you will have the power to make that handgun sing. You will end up wanting to feed all of your guns with the work you do at your load bench.

And for sure, you'll end up with better ammo.
Old August 18, 2014, 12:31 PM   #28
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynman
...I found the magtech 240 grain fmj at cabelas... I ordered 4 boxes...
Are you certain that the bullets have encapsulated bases?

See my earlier posts.

Also, +100 Sevens.
Old August 19, 2014, 03:42 PM   #29
tynman

Carguychris what exactly is that? Never heard of that.
Old August 19, 2014, 03:45 PM   #30
tynman

Stevens I wish I had the time to reload. I would reload all my calibers. I even have a friend that got out of the reload business and would sell me all the stuff I need for a steel. I don't buy it cause I don't have the time to do it and the time to research all the load spec's too. I don't even have the room to put up a table to set a reload station up...lol wish I did.
Old August 19, 2014, 03:48 PM   #31
tynman

Shooter we shall see. Wish I had the ammo for tomorrow cause I'm going to the range with my ar so I would be able to run a box of those magtech through it and see what happens. Thanks for your help.

I can't find that fiocchi ammo anywhere. I don't think they make 44 mag in fmj. I have only seen sjsp.
Old August 19, 2014, 04:01 PM   #32
carguychris

Quote:
Carguychris what exactly is that? [An encapsulated base?]
The jacket covers the base of the bullet. Google "total metal jacket" or TMJ. FWIW such ammo is often labeled as "Range Safe", "For Indoor Use", or something like that.

Most FMJ bullets are only jacketed on the front and sides and have exposed lead bases. MR recommends against using bullets with exposed lead bases in a DE.

I don't know if .44Mag TMJ/encapsulated ammo is widely offered commercially, but then I don't own a .44Mag firearm, and I handload for everything I own, so I use whatever bullets I want.

JHP or JSP bullets are normally jacketed on the sides and the base; hence, DE shooters who rely on factory ammo often use JHP or JSP loads, since they're readily available commercially and they conform to MR's recommendations.

Last edited by carguychris; August 19, 2014 at 04:03 PM. Reason: reword, correction
Old August 19, 2014, 05:02 PM   #33
precision_shooter

The Fiocchi SJSP will be fine. As long as the bullet you are shooting has a jacket covering the bearing surface between bullet and barrel, you are good to go. You want to avoid shooting any bullets where the bearing surface is exposed lead.

Semi Jacketed (soft point, hollow point, etc) are good as the full bearing surface is a copper jacket.

I don't know anything about the base of the bullet needing to be jacketed. I don't see what problems it would cause if it's not. Maybe inhalation of lead due to the DI gas system of the DE?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old August 19, 2014, 05:21 PM   #34
tynman

Thanks guys. Now you see I was thinking on the sjsp (semi jacket soft point) was the one I would NOT want to use due to the soft point being lead and that was what I didn't want going through the barrel. I thought I wouldn't want anything that had the lead on the outside of the bullet wasn't good. That's why I went with the megtech fmj's. They also had sjsp but I didn't think that was the good one for the DE.

These were my 2 choices.
http://www.cabelas.com/ensemble/Shoo...ition/7470.uts

Again thinking the one with the lead on the tip would NOT be good for the DE.

Last edited by tynman; August 19, 2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old August 19, 2014, 05:32 PM   #35
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by precision_shooter
As long as the bullet you are shooting has a jacket covering the bearing surface between bullet and barrel, you are good to go. You want to avoid shooting any bullets where the bearing surface is exposed lead.
This is not what the MR recommendation says. See my quote in post #2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by precision_shooter
I don't know anything about the base of the bullet needing to be jacketed. I don't see what problems it would cause if it's not. Maybe inhalation of lead due to the DI gas system of the DE?
Yup, that's it.

It fouls the gas system, and there's virtually no way to get the fouling out, since the gas system is reportedly not designed to be disassembled for cleaning.
Quote:
I was thinking on the sjsp... was the one I would NOT want to use due to the soft point being lead and that was what I didn't want going through the barrel. I thought I wouldn't want anything that had the lead on the outside of the bullet wasn't good.
It's the back of the bullet, and to a lesser extent the sides, that are directly exposed to hot combustion gases that vaporize the lead and cause fouling. The non-jacketed tip of a SJSP bullet is not a problem. IOW conventional FMJ is worse than JHP or SJSP ammo- the exact opposite of many shooters' ingrained and instinctive assumption that "FMJ works in anything".

Last edited by carguychris; August 19, 2014 at 05:38 PM. Reason: stuff added
Old August 19, 2014, 05:38 PM   #36
tynman

This is what I found on magtech's site. It may help you help me cause now this is getting way to deep then I have ever been.

1 FMJ http://www.magtechammunition.com/sto...00102itemList=

2 SJSPF http://www.magtechammunition.com/sto...00102itemList=

And that is all I can find. If you carguychris have any other info on ammo that is no lead exposed please do tell Im willing to look for it and see how it shoots.

Ok so the point dosnt really matter. Ok so that starting to clear things up a little. But how do I tell or find out about the base of the bullet if its exposed or not?
Old August 19, 2014, 05:43 PM   #37
carguychris

^^^ Although the packaging is not specific, the bullet cutaway on the Magtech site does NOT show a jacket on the back of the bullet.
Quote:
If you carguychris have any other info on ammo that is no lead exposed please do tell Im willing to look for it and see how it shoots.
Google came up with this...

http://www.turners.com/hpr-ammunitio...und-box-243809

I've only ever used HPR ammo in .380ACP, so I cannot comment on how well this stuff would work in a DE.

Once again, most JHP and SJSP loads should be fine.
Old August 20, 2014, 08:09 AM   #38
NorwegianShooter

The Magtech FMJ has an exposed base, but it runs the .44 like a champ with a great flash to go with it. Some say not to use exposed base, but after about 1000 rounds of Magtech, there is not even a slight hint of leading is the gas tube. Winchester X also seems to run it very nice. HavenĀ“t had any real issues with mine. The follower is the mag can sometimes be very stiff. Use a rod and jerk it up and down until it gets somewhat worn. The IWI version has a little rough finish in the chamber throat, a gunsmith (or yourself) can polish and dremel it until the FTF disappears.