The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 10, 2012, 06:06 PM   #1
BlackWorksInc

Corrosion/Chemical Reaction on Barrel

So I was cleaning my UTS-15 and I noticed that once again there is this sort of rusty/white powder forming at the base of the barrel just in front of the receiver.

-Edit-

So this is the second time I've seen this weird build-up...

Last edited by BlackWorksInc; December 10, 2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old December 10, 2012, 07:49 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

This looks like bluing salts "bleed out".

When a gun is blued it goes into a tank of neutralizer after the actual hot salts bluing chemical to stop the chemical reaction.
If the gun isn't boiled long enough all the salts residue won't be neutralized in tight areas like the barrel-receiver joint.

If the bluing chemical isn't fully neutralized, the residue will bleed out in the form of a white powder.
To stop this, apply a heavy coat of a penetrating type lubricant like CLP Breakfree to the area.
Use a clean tooth brush to scrub off the white powder, then apply more CLP and let soak for a few days to fully penetrate the joint and stop the bleed out.

To make sure, just keep a drop or two of CLP in the joint.
Old December 10, 2012, 08:42 PM   #3
BlackWorksInc

Oh cool! I figured it was either some sort of residue from manufacturing/bluing or (which I was dreading) evidence of a minute leak in that seam.

I think I have penetrating lubricant around here somewhere. I assume its seeping out from the heat of firing the weapon.

Thanks for easing my mind.
Old December 11, 2012, 08:38 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

Heat of firing doesn't cause bleed out.
Bleed out is caused by a continuing chemical action that wasn't properly neutralized.

Where you usually see bleed out is in a gun that's been sitting unused and the owner doesn't notice the white crusty formation beginning to ooze out of a joint.
Old December 12, 2012, 12:22 PM   #5
BlackWorksInc

Ah okay, I haven't been to the range in a while as I was waiting for a shipment of ammo to come in, so its been a few weeks.

That's interesting to know. Can I use some sort of base chemical to try and stop the chemical reaction outright?
Old December 12, 2012, 07:47 PM   #6
Dfariswheel

You could use baking soda and water, but I doubt it will infiltrate the joint and get to the problem.

The best choice is a penetrating lube like CLP Breakfree.