The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 21, 2013, 07:42 PM   #1
Rustle in the Bushes

22lr scopes and parralax

Ive done some googling on this but havent quite figured it out.

The gun is a cz 452 which Id like to put a somewhat decent 2-7x($200) scope on.
Its gonna see some time in the woods looking for bunnies(paired with a shotgun) and also I have a ton of fun setting up steel at 100 and 150 and seeing what I can do. Ill shoot paper for groups a bit as well.

The thing HAS to get good shots on rabbits that arent moving at 25-75 yards. So Im thinking a scope with 50 yard parralax. BUT how much trouble is that parallax gonna give me as far as shooting targets and steel at 150 yards?

Looking at a vortex diamondback rimfire 2-7x
Old January 21, 2013, 08:15 PM   #2
MTSCMike

For shooting multiple distances with a 22lr I have found it very desirable to get a scope with an adjustable objective, especially for the shorter distances.
Old January 21, 2013, 08:22 PM   #3
alex0535

Redfield Revolution 3-9x, I prefer the Accu-Range Reticule

Its at your price range, and I can personally attest to its capability from 10-150 yards. If you would like a 2-7x, it is available in that configuration as well.

Has a lifetime warranty, made in the USA. I own 2 redfield revolutions in 3-9x and 4-12x and they have been awesome.
Old January 21, 2013, 09:00 PM   #4
Rustle in the Bushes

@MTSCMike

Heres what Im wondering. If the scope's parralax is set for 50 yards and I have to take a quick shot at a bunny then were looking at being within 25-30 yards on either end of the parallax setting. Closest shot= 20 yards farthest= 75. So parralax prolly wont kill me there.

What Im wondering is for those 150 yard shots at the gong. How big of a factor is that considering parralax is gonna be 100 yards off.
Old January 21, 2013, 09:51 PM   #5
reynolds357

I have a diamondback 2-7 and parallex is not really an issue with it at low power.
Old January 21, 2013, 09:57 PM   #6
ThundarStick

This paralax issue has to be THE most over thought issue concerning small cal rimfire hunting rifles! In 99% of all hunting rifles, the ammo used in them, or the shooter will never be able to tell a difference if the paralax is set at 100 yards or 50 yards. Do a little searching and you will find that there is a very small amount of maximum paralax induced error at the lower powers. That is MAX induced error if you purpously misaline your eye from one side of the scope to the other. It can be important for bench rest shooters and target shooters using high mag. If the scope will focus at the short ranges you will have NO problem bustin a bunny's dome. I don't have the chart that shows the amounts handy, but I was shocked at the minscule amount of error, untill you get to greater than 14x or so.

As with all things internet, this is my take on the subject, your MMV.

I have 100 yard scopes on all my 22lr hunting guns! Matter of fact the one I use most has a 2-7 Burris FF2 and I have no problems hitting gray squirrels in the head at 20-50 yards.

Last edited by ThundarStick; January 21, 2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old January 21, 2013, 09:59 PM   #7
MTSCMike

Rustle

Can't help you there...no experience in that direction. I would have to look through it and move my head around to see how much the crosshairs appeared to shift. If the long shots are taken with plenty of time to get your eye lined up you could minimize the effect.
Old January 21, 2013, 10:25 PM   #8
Rustle in the Bushes

thanks thunder, mike.

The vortex seems to be a super solid scope for the price. Ill get the rimfire parallax one anyways and it'll bust bunnys perfectly as I wont be shooting any past 80 yards thats for sure.
Old January 21, 2013, 11:11 PM   #9
L_Killkenny

Parallax issues concerning .22lr guns used for field or play are over blown. A few general rules...... Parallax is generally worse when shooting below the adjusted range, less of a concern over the adjusted range. But then again, a little "off" is more acceptable at closer range. Also, parallax is less of an issue with low powered (less than 9x) scopes generally best for field use. That's why you will rarely see an adjustable objective on lower powered scopes. Even if you decide to put that gun on a bench to see what it can do it's very unlikely you will see differences in POI even it the parallax is way off. Why? Cause it's just not that dang hard to get your head, body and the gun lined up to take the issue out of play.

So no, you don't have to worry about it. Personally feel you're choice of 2-7x is a great one and if I had my druthers I'd get a scope set up for the range you'll use it most and deal with any slight issues at other ranges. Maybe that's a rimfire scope, maybe a centerfire. But IF I already had one scope or the other available I wouldn't waste money getting the "right" one. I'd mount up the one I had and go at it.

Quality,1" tube rimfire scopes and adjustable objectives are only recently very common in the grand scheme of things. Just wasn't that long ago that if you wanted anything close to readily available, decent glass for your rimfire you bought a centerfire scope and went hunting. Still, squirrels and rabbits died by the truckload and no one cared.

Like I said, over blown.
Old January 21, 2013, 11:56 PM   #10
ThomasT

The great Bob Milek liked to point out that if you are squarely behind the scope there is no paralax.

For your use I would recommend the Nikon Pro-Staff 2x7 scope. It is set to be paralax free at 75 yards. Thats about perfect for a 22, 22mag and the pistol caliber rifles. Mine cost about $130 a couple of years ago. I have 4 Nikon pro-staff scopes and they have all been good buys.
Old January 22, 2013, 09:28 AM   #11
Bart B.

Folks, nobody adjusts parallax unless they're moving their eye off the optical axis of the scope.

But some scopes do have the ability to focus at different ranges.