The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 13, 2008, 10:51 AM   #1
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Range Report - Winchester XP3 3" Slugs

We had a chance to test the aforementioned slugs in two guns this weekend: A Browning Gold and a Remington 1187, both with rifled barrels of course.

Let me start by saying that no two guns will shoot the same slugs with the same accuracy or consistency so keep that in mind as you read our results.

Our intentions were to compare the XP3 with our preferred deer load, which has been the Remington Core-Lokt Ultra 2 3/4".

One the box (manufacturer claims):

The XP3 ballistically outperforms the Core-Lokt by a slight margin which is why we are interested in testing them.
Rem - 1900fps @ 385gr, 6" low @ 200
Winch - 2100fps @ 300gr, 4.7" low @ 200

Real World Muzzle Velocity:

The XP3 claims 2100fps (300gr) and the Core-Lokt claims 1900fps (385gr)
Our chrony showed and average velocity for the Core-Lokt of just over 1830fps an an average for the XP3 at just over.... 1840. The 1830fps for the Core-Lokt was within expectations as anyone with a chrony knows you will rarely get full claimed speed.
We were disappointed in the XP3 number to say the least.

Feeding:

Oddly, the Browning refused to load the first shell of the XP3 every time. It has had no problems with 3" shells in the past. It also would not feed the last XP3 in the tube, also having displayed no problems in the past.
The 1187 experienced no feed problems

Recoil:

Neither of us felt there was any significant or even recognizable difference in recoil.

Accuracy

50yd - Both are acceptable accuracy for a shotgun slug, generally forming 3 shot groups ranging from one giant raged hole to about 2" center to center.

100yd - Here was the real surprise and disappointment. The Core-Lokt has always had better than predicted accuracy in both our guns at this range, being 3" groups in most cases. We sighted our guns to the ballistic calculator suggested 1.5" high @ 50 yards, expecting about 3" high for the XP3 @ 100. Surprisingly, both guns were shooting about 8" high on the first shots of the XP3s and this is where it all began to fall apart. The Browning was adjusted for proper impact height but continued to shoot groups sizes of about 6 inches. The 1187 at this range was essentially random. I was EXTREMELY disappointed as this gun is a virtual tack-driver (for a shotgun) in past experience, however, with the XP3 I could only guarantee a hit on a 14" square piece of paper. Here is the break down of 8 shots.

1- 1" right, 6 1/2" high
2 - 2 right, 5 low
3 - 5 left, 1 high
4 - 1 1/2, right 6 low

at this point I decided it could be a barrel heat issue (even though the core-lokt never showed any problems) and the remaining shots were fired with between 5 and 10 minutes between them.

5 - 4 left, 5 low
6 - centered, 6 high
7 - 1 left, 5 low
8 - 1 high, 4 right

We then returned to 50yds and shot both guns two more times. The hits from the Browning were lower than before, as we had adjusted for the extreme height discrepancy at 100, but about where expected given the adjustment. The 1187 was hitting just were it had been previous to the 100yd testing.

Overall Impressions:
I'm going to use up my XP3's in the 1187 as most of my shots are at 50yds or less but next year, I'm going back to Core-Lokts, no doubt at all.
The Browning owner is doing the same but his last shell in the tube will be a Core-lokt as we found that it will feed just fine behind the XP3s.

I would recommend testing these shells as their performance SHOULD be stellar if you can get them to group. The down side is that "testing" shells that cost a minimum of $15/5 rounds gets mighty pricey.
Old October 13, 2008, 11:16 AM   #2
skydiver3346

.12 GA slugs

Hi Peetzakilla,
Have you tried the Lightfield EXP 2 3/4" slugs yet? Group really great out of a fully rifled slug barrel. I just shot the slugs you are referring to and three differnt others at my range. The Lightfield out shot them all, hands down.
Old October 13, 2008, 02:54 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hi Peetzakilla,
Have you tried the Lightfield EXP 2 3/4" slugs yet?
I have not. The Core-Lokt's have been stellar and NOTHING comes close ballistically. The XP3's are the first with any potential to beat the Core-Lokt which is the only reason we tried them.
Oh well, what's $150 among friends?
Old October 21, 2008, 09:29 AM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Update

Posting this to be fair to Winchester:

I sent a nasty-gram to Winchester because I feel that 14 inch group at 100 yards is a bit outside the "Your gun doesn't like them" excuse. They replied very quickly with a letter asking me to send in the used and unused ammo for testing, stating that they will reimburse me for ALL rounds. With that I am impressed. I can't shoot their ammo but that is STELLAR customer service. Plus, their Super-X rifled slugs were always the best in my 870, so I'm definitely not down on Winchester, just the XP3s.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; October 21, 2008 at 05:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old October 21, 2008, 03:54 PM   #5
buymore

I've gone with the Hornady SST's in 2 3/4" in my Encore 12 g rifled bbl. I get under 3" groups if I can hold it still under the stout recoil! I tried them in my Verona SX405 rifled bbl. with iron sights at 50 yds and got similar groups. I was happy with the results in both guns, but I have to second the Lightfield EXP's! Hands down, they shot better groups out of my Verona and they carry much more knockdown power! I've never tried them out of my Encore yet, but I may send some down range soon to see how they work in it! They are usually a couple dollars less per box and I haven't had to take over a 100 yd shot with my Encore yet, so I can't honestly say I need the ballistics of the SST's!
Old October 27, 2011, 10:37 AM   #6
slugmaster

XP3 vs. Accutips?

Just wondering if anyone compared these 2 slugs in 12 ga.?
Old October 28, 2011, 04:11 AM   #7
Rugerismisticness

I myself like the SuperX Rifled magnum 3" slugs, they work well out of both my benellis and 870. They're cheap, so I stick to em.
Old October 29, 2011, 10:53 AM   #8
LSnSC

I havent been impressed with any if the new wonder slugs.
The best shooting Ive used were the Winchester BRI Sabots, Remington Buck Hammers, and the Lightfields.