The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 20, 2007, 09:49 PM   #1
Powderman

It's coming---oh, yes!

A while ago, I was looking about at various platforms from which to launch lead. I found myself recently in a most favorable position--I finally got the guns that I wanted! The gun safe is comfortably full. So, what next?

I found myself reading various articles about black powder rifles. I was kinda intrigued by the idea. Then, I started researching BPCR--Black Powder Cartridge Rifles. I was interested to say the least. Then, I went and did it--I finally went and saw "Quigley Down Under", and fell in lust. I HAD to have a rifle like that!!!

A little bit of research turned up a LOT of information. I read about the black powder cartridges everyone was familiar with--.45-70, .45 Colt, .44-40, .30-30, to name some.

I read about the "big fifty"--the .50-90 Sharps rifle. And, some cartridges that are not well known outside of BPCR circles.

I finally decided what I wanted--a Sharps rifle in .45-120. Or as some people know it, .45-120-550 (.458 bullet, 120 grains of black, 550 grain projectile.)

I looked at--where else?--Shiloh Sharps. They manufactured the Quigley guns. They turn out a quality product. They also have a 2 year waiting list.

A bit more research turned up another company--right there in Big Timber, MT, in the same vicinity as the Shiloh company. This company is C. Sharps--the C. stands for "Christian", the name of the inventor of the Sharps rifle. It is my understanding that at least one or two of the current crew are direct descendants. After a few calls, and a bit of dickering, it was done.

I spec'd out a Bridgeport Sporting Rifle, with the following items:

34" Heavy Octagon barrel
Semi Fancy wood
Pistol-gripped shotgun type stock
Case colored receiver
Globe front with spirit level
Long range rear sight
Caliber, .45-120

$500.00 for a deposit, and the rifle was in production.

I got to thinking that this was my first custom rifle, and that I wanted it to be a bit more "special". So, I made the following upgrades:

Extra fancy stock and forend;
French Gray receiver, w/my initials on the loading lever, and
German silver nosecap on the forend.

I spent the next week ordering the stuff I needed to load ammunition for the cartridge and finding some black powder. After getting everything in, I loaded up 20 rounds to break the rifle in.

It should be finished by the end of this week--a range report will be coming!

Here's a preview of the ammunition: Lyman 500 gr. spire point, 115.0 gr. Goex 1F with .620 compression; inside, one .030 overpowder wad, .060 grease cookie, .030 sealer wad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BPCR 2.JPG (72.3 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by Powderman; October 21, 2007 at 02:57 AM.
Old October 20, 2007, 10:13 PM   #2
Raider2000

When you get that puppy, you definitely need to give us a range report, a great choice in a fine rifle.
Old October 21, 2007, 01:42 AM   #3
CraigC

Don't forget pictures!

I handled a Pedersoli "Quigley" rifle Friday. Very nicely built but I can't believe how heavy they are.
Old November 2, 2007, 11:22 AM   #4
Powderman

Here it is!

Feast your eyes on this fine, 100% American made iron! This thing is gorgeous...I can't wait to take it out!

But, I won't be able to shoot it until next week, on Wednesday. First shot is mine; my son will take the second shot. I've already told him that this rifle will be his later on. But anyway....enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45-120 2.jpg (74.8 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 45-120 action and sight.jpg (74.8 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 45-120 rt side.jpg (51.4 KB, 82 views)
Old November 2, 2007, 11:23 AM   #5
Powderman

And here's the money shot....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45-120 C Sharps--American made!.jpg (70.8 KB, 224 views)
Old November 8, 2007, 10:15 PM   #6
Powderman

Shots fired!!!

Finally, the day had come; I managed to stop working overtime long enough to head out to the range.

I had read and studied extensively about how to shoot and care for a black powder cartridge rifle. Thus, I took with me:

Cleaning rod, of the proper length;
.45 caliber rifle bore brushes, rod eyes and jags;
Plenty of good GI spec cotton patches;
One large butter tub for a soap water bath;
One empty Hoppe’s quart bottle, filled with even more soapy water;
A dropper-type dispenser;
A Tipton cleaning rest, and
Some regular Hoppe’s #9.

My son went with me too; after all, this rifle will be his someday.

I set everything up, and targets were pasted up at 50 and 100 yards.

The rifle sat in gleaming repose on the sandbags. I sat behind it; opened the action and checked the bore.

I picked up one round of .45-120 that I had so carefully loaded, looked at it for a second and slid it into the breech. It seated easily with a muted “click”. The action closed easily and I built my position.

Shoulder rolled forward, but loose at the waist to absorb recoil; the stock weld firmly locked in with my eye centered in the aperture; the hammer pulled back to its fully cocked position. All was ready as I pulled the rear trigger, feeling a small click as the front trigger set itself to four ounces of pull.

Two more breaths and I let the front aperture set itself and center in the rear aperture. I concentrated on the aperture and centered target. My trigger finger touched the front trigger.

The hammer flew forward and the primer detonated. 115 grains of good black powder took fire and sent a Lyman 500 grain spitzer downrange…..

“BOOM!”

The rifle settled into my shoulder like an old friend.

The first round took the target at 11 O’Clock at 50 yards, out of the scoring rings.

After adjusting the sights, my son and I were able to center punch a bullseye each at 50 yards.

As for recoil---what recoil?!? It feels like a regular 12 gauge field load.

Fortunately, I have tomorrow off as well—it’s back to the range, and then I’ll shoot a few for group. I’m VERY happy with this rifle!
Old November 9, 2007, 03:59 AM   #7
arcticap

Wow! That looks like great fun, and it sounds like it shoots pretty smoothly too.
Do you feel that the rifle torques at all when that long, heavy bullet is passing through the barrel?
I've heard that the .45/70 High Walls do torque some.
Old November 9, 2007, 06:36 PM   #8
Powderman

If there is torque, I'm not noticing it. Just moderate recoil, straight back.
Old November 10, 2007, 01:43 AM   #9
Gewehr98

I've noticed it with my .45-70 Sharps.

I run 535gr Postells, or 550gr swaged spitzers, at a few hundred fps slower than the .45-120 above. The rifle will definitely twist off to one side upon firing, I find it more pronounced than the muzzle jump or recoil.

I was seriously considering the .45-90 or even .45-110, but fellow BPCR Silhouette shooters warned me about the recoil over the course of a match. A buddy of mine has a Shiloh Sharps in .45-120, and he showed me the trick about using several thick felt overpowder wads to download for recoil reduction. I suppose about 20 rounds or so would be fine with the longer rounds, but I'd probably end up downloading them with larger wads, too. You're not too far away from .458 Win Mag velocities with the longer .45 BP cartridges.

Neural Misfires