The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 22, 2000, 12:35 AM   #1
zip

ive decided on either a win.94 trapper or ranger compact baseicly due to the price(339 plus tax is that good its lower than the suggested price?) and i have always liked the desinge of win. rifles and the fact that when i decided on the cal. i can have one here in a day or so anyway what cal, would you all suggest what im looking at is 45 colt,357or 44 right now im leaning to 45 due to the fact that ill be getting revolvers in that next year but not sure if thats the right choice also will there 357 rifles work with 38's ? thanks for any help

------------------
oneshotonekill

[This message has been edited by zip (edited February 22, 2000).]
Old February 22, 2000, 02:33 AM   #2
Gunslinger

I'd definately recommend getting the rifle in the same caliber I planned for the revolvers. There are many reasons including less confusion at the range/shoot and ease of reloading if you do so and if you don't already after a spell you will.
To answer your second question, yes, a Winchester .357 mag. should have no trouble digesting the .38 special loads.
Congradulations on your soon to be new rifle.

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

Old February 23, 2000, 05:10 PM   #3
zip

with the 44 or 45 will there be any problems with useing bp loads ? also ive now narrowed it down to the 44 rem mag or the 45 colt which do yall would be a better choice as i will not have my cartridge revolvers till next year ill be able to get them in which ever cal. i chose now thanks for any help you guys gals can give

------------------
oneshotonekill
Old February 23, 2000, 05:43 PM   #4
G. Kennedy

Be sure you want that short barrel. The mag capacity can hurt you if you have to shoot at least 10 shots. The reason I say this is because a trapper will hold 10 rounds IF there is also a round in the chamber. If you can't have a round in the chamber you will be one short.........
Old February 23, 2000, 08:00 PM   #5
Gunslinger

Personally I prefer the .44 mag. but simply because I have several other guns chambered in that. However I would recommend the .45 Long Colt simply because there are more single actions on the market chambered in that caliber. Choosing the .44 mag. would eliminate the Colt SAA and all clones if you want to match calibers in all guns, which is a good idea.
Mr. Kennedy makes a very valid point regarding the capacity of the short carbine.
I went back and read your post again and wanted to respond to the black powder question, which i missed the first time. If you plan to use black powder reloads I'd definately recommend the .45 LC. I know several shooters reload the .45 LC in bp but none in .44. Perhaps because of case volume, but there are others here that would be more qualified than myself to comment on that.
------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

[This message has been edited by Gunslinger (edited February 23, 2000).]