The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 17, 2000, 11:18 PM   #1
DAL

I'm going to show my ignorance and ask what may seem like an elementary question. Should I trim my cases before or after resizing/decapping them? It seems to me that it should be done after resizing/decapping, just in case the primer has moved out of its pocket a hair, but I may be way off base with my reasoning.

I just got an RCBS case trimmer this evening and I'd like to try it out, but I want to do things correctly.

Thanks.
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.
GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, NRA
Old April 17, 2000, 11:44 PM   #2
TAckerman

Trim after you size and decap.

That way you are trimming after the case stretches one more time in the sizing process.

If shooting a bolt action, I strongly recommend that "Neck Size" only as there is very little stretching occuring.

Also, I always put "Carbide" expander balls in all of my dies. (Full Lenght or Neck Sizing). This also drastically reduces case stretching beacuse the carbide expander ball is so hard that it slided easier in and out of the case mouth.

Warning: Only neck size and use the same brass for the same rifle. The case will be "Fire Formed" to that specific chamber and neck sizing will only reduce the neck...not the entire case. You should however Full Lenght size all cases intended for semi auto rifles so that they function properly.

Just keep your brass segregated by rifle if you have more than one weaon of the same caliber.

Hope this helps.

ACK
Old April 18, 2000, 01:29 AM   #3
DAL

TAckerman, it did help. Thanks.

DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.
GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, NRA
Old April 18, 2000, 05:08 AM   #4
Bud Helms

TAckerman,

Where do you get your carbide expander plugs?
Old April 18, 2000, 05:17 AM   #5
johnnybravo

TAckerman,
Does that neck sizing-only go for lever actions, also?

------------------
johnnyb
A slow hit beats a fast miss.