The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 25, 2015, 12:19 PM   #26
RickB

You might be right!
Still, when people were shooting gelatin and goats, and doctoring real street numbers to measure bullet performance, 230gr .45 Hydra-shok was the gold standard.
When shot from 5" guns, one source reported 100% one-shot stops in actual shootings. I don't put much stock in that sort of stuff, but a round that was stopping people at a 95% clip in the '90s shouldn't have suddenly become less effective, and you really can't improve on 95%.
Are you telling me that thugs didn't wear denim in the '90s, or that they drove cars with considerably different window glass, or hid behind a different type of wallboard? All that's changed is the test procedures.
Old February 25, 2015, 01:50 PM   #27
Independent George

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Are you telling me that thugs didn't wear denim in the '90s, or that they drove cars with considerably different window glass, or hid behind a different type of wallboard? All that's changed is the test procedures.
Except those test procedures changed precisely because of field reports of failures to stop. Also, guns have also gotten smaller, so concealed carriers are shooting from barrels much shorter than the 4+ inch duty guns the hydraschocks were designed for. (Interestingly, when STB did his .380 tests, the hydrashocks actually performed better than most of the more modern bullets).

The point is, while newer doesn't necessarily equal better (and the gel tests have shown that newer is often worse, as with the G2's), you should be willing to move on when it is demonstrably the case.
Old February 25, 2015, 02:48 PM   #28
KyJim

I generally prefer Gold Dots and HSTs, depending on caliber. They outclass Hydrashocks but Hydrashocks aren't bad. I feed them to one of my 1911s because it loves them.
Old February 25, 2015, 03:41 PM   #29
Dragline45

I did always find the denim tests to be a bit ridiculous. I honestly haven't seen many people wear denim jackets since the 90's including myself, so the reason they wrap gel in denim to simulate real world encounters escapes me, I think cotton would be a much better testing variable.
Old February 25, 2015, 04:26 PM   #30
skizzums

I know I wear a leather jacket at least half the year. and I have see leather jackets sop bullets in their tracks. I would like to more testing with it.
Old February 25, 2015, 04:53 PM   #31
JERRYS.

I'm not a hydra-shok fan boy at all, but even I know that the hydra-shok cannot make up for poor shot placement, and that is exactly what most self defense shots have in common. you will need a different bullet to make up for poor shot placement.
Old February 25, 2015, 05:44 PM   #32
FairWarning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila Blanca
Your argument is like comparing a 1963 split window coupe to a 2015 Corvette. In 1963, the then-new split window coupe with mechanical fuel injection was one of the (if not THE) hottest American cars around, and certainly one of the most sought after.

Today? The cheapest 2015 Corvette is orders of magnitude faster than the '63, handles infinitely better, and has far better brakes. Is the '63 still a classic and highly sought after? You bet. Is the 2015 a better vehicle in just about every possible aspect? Yes -- and nostalgia for the '63 split window can't change that.
The difference in capabilities you used above would be more like comparing a .45 HST to a .22 LR RNL. If that were applicable, the Hydra-Shok would be completely irrelevant (it isn't).

Regarding the selling price, there is no reason for it to be at or near the same cost as newer generations of ammo, but the market will either support the price or not. I wouldn't buy more Hydra-Shok unless it was considerably cheaper than the newer ammo, but I definitely wouldn't feel underprotected carrying it. Put one center mass and your would-be attacker's day just went to hell in a hand bag.

Last edited by FairWarning; February 25, 2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old February 25, 2015, 06:15 PM   #33
Derbel McDillet

Quote:
I did always find the denim tests to be a bit ridiculous. I honestly haven't seen many people wear denim jackets since the 90's including myself, so the reason they wrap gel in denim to simulate real world encounters escapes me, I think cotton would be a much better testing variable.
See "Why Four Layers of Denim Cloth?" - http://www.firearmstactical.com/tact...2/0604-02a.htm

Last edited by Derbel McDillet; February 25, 2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old February 27, 2015, 06:20 PM   #34
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
I'm not a hydra-shok fan boy at all, but even I know that the hydra-shok cannot make up for poor shot placement, and that is exactly what most self defense shots have in common. you will need a different bullet to make up for poor shot placement.
Exactly! Now, your chosen weapon shoots Hydra-Shocks perfectly, shot to shot, every time, with astounding groups. Everything else? Groups open up, no matter how much you don't want them to. Now, what do you shoot in that weapon?
Old February 28, 2015, 09:15 PM   #35
AZRoger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahermit
How many dead bad guys did you examine to come to that conclusion?
None, but never said what they made a mess of. In this case, targets of opportunity and specifically selected stuff like watermelons, soaked newspaper et al. I got it, though, argument for the sake of argument... love it!
Old March 1, 2015, 12:09 AM   #36
gbc123

I use the horniday xts which is similar, it blows a good size hole out of a 14 inch fresh tree stump

Last edited by gbc123; March 1, 2015 at 03:37 AM.
Old March 3, 2015, 04:04 AM   #37
Brotherbadger

Quote:
I generally prefer Gold Dots and HSTs, depending on caliber. They outclass Hydrashocks but Hydrashocks aren't bad.
Agreed. HST is my go to. Hydrashocks will still work, but I feel there are better options out there.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old March 3, 2015, 11:21 PM   #38
stormyone

They're better than a dull stick.

Plus, old guys love them. So they'll keep making them.
Old March 4, 2015, 04:21 PM   #39
fastbolt

Quote:
Is Hydrashock's Day In The Sun Over?
For the LE/Gov market, according to what Federal promotes to that user market demographic? Pretty much, yes, it seems as though the Hydra-Shok's day is past.

For the private citizen market and the offerings available commercially? Then, no, it doesn't seem to be so.

Seems as though Federal has revised and refined the Hydra-Shok bullets and loadings over the years.

I remember when the 230gr .45 ACP Hydra-Shok was reportedly revised to make it feed better in the 45's commonly seen many years ago.

Nowadays, though, some of the different ballistic testing being used, especially the difficult IWBA 4-layer denim/gel test, has driven the major ammo companies who want a piece of the LE/Gov sales to offer some newer designs that are intended to provide more resistance to plugging, and potential for robust & consistent expansion, than the older Hydra-Shok design.

I think I came across a couple containers of at least 3-4 hundred (or more) rounds of 230gr .45 ACP Hydra-Shok when I was rummaging around in my ammo cabinets. I dimly remember putting them back sometime in maybe the early 90's.

I won't be moving them up to replace the Rem 230gr HPJ/BJHP Golden Sabres or Win 230gr T-Series (of which I have both RA45T & RA45TP versions), nor the small supply of Speer 230gr GDHP I have left over ... nor the Federal HST that's next up in the training/duty inventory where I work ... but I'd not lose sleep if I used them in any of my .45's at one time or another, either.

I'd be surprised if Federal discontinued the Hydra-Shok line in the immediate future. They've probably long since written off the cost of the equipment to make the bullets, and the bullet design probably still has a lot of name-recognition among older shooters who have used them over the years.

Last edited by fastbolt; March 4, 2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old March 6, 2015, 08:38 PM   #40
CDW4ME

I have some 45 acp 230 gr. Hydra-Shok and 185 +P Hydra-Shok.
If I used them for a carry load from a 3.75" barrel, I think I would be adequately protected.