The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 29, 2013, 02:38 PM   #1
NJmike

Any latest news on the Diamondback DB9?

I'm currently looking for a slim 9mm. P290, Nano, CM9/PM9..... BUT! On the cheaper end I was looking into the PF-9 and the Diamondback DB9. I actually called Diamondback customer service today. They gentleman was very friendly. Although he didn't make me all that confident in changing my mind on what I have read about the gun. He told me that the gun was designed for about 3-4k round life span, but there are some rentals out there that have 12k on them with minimal maintainance. I really want this gun BUT I'm scared to buy it! Lol. Anyone out there have any new news on the DB9? The web seems to be dry on any recent news and or stories. Good thing maybe?? Thanks all..
Old January 29, 2013, 02:46 PM   #2
scottfarm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w3rryAEr7U
Old January 29, 2013, 02:59 PM   #3
NJmike

Good video thanks!! Hard to determine since they were using steel ammo AND +p+..

Last edited by NJmike; January 29, 2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old January 29, 2013, 03:56 PM   #4
Dan-O

It's meant to be a shoot little carry a lot type of gun. If you want a range gun get yourself a gun that can take thousands of rounds of abuse with no issues.
Old January 29, 2013, 04:31 PM   #5
kahrguy

If you want lite weight that works buy the pf-9, with a light double stack the kt p11, I had both and no issues . Bought a used kahr cheap run so well I bought another and ended up gitting ride of the KT's. Weight on my 3rd kahr now.

The pf-9 was my daily carry for a couple years and had almost 2000 rounds fired with zero problems. Same for the kahrs but even the cm9 is easier to control and in the same price range as the DB9 just 4oz heavier.
Old January 29, 2013, 05:05 PM   #6
Nasty

700 rounds so far...no issues.

Old January 29, 2013, 05:19 PM   #7
Fishbed77

The Kahr CM9 makes the Diamondback pistols pretty much pointless, IMHO.

The CM9 is well-made, surprisingly easy to shoot, boringly reliable, and can be found on sale sometimes for $350 (I got mine on sale about a year ago for $327 out the door).
Old January 29, 2013, 05:25 PM   #8
NJmike

Hey thanks for the feedback guys. The main reason for the gun will be a backup/BUG for duty and off duty. Being that the PF might be a tad big, I'm still leaning toward the sig or nano. Although the PF is priced right. Just hope to get a good one and not a lemon. The DB9 is such a good idea it's just plagued with issues it seems. Even after being out since 2009. :-(
Old January 29, 2013, 05:27 PM   #9
NJmike

Now at that price point, I would get a CM9. I will def. check that out. A few guys at work carry the PM9, I just do not want to spend 6-700+ dollars on it. CM could be a contender. Thanks!
Old January 29, 2013, 11:23 PM   #10
DATL

I really like the DB9 a lot. It is so thin. I gotta say my best friend bought one about 4 months ago and it would load a round into the chamber fine, but would not eject an unspent round without firing it. Once you fire it, it would kick out the spent shell just fine. Weird.

It seems like it's hit or miss with a lot of the budget pocket nines. I have a Khar MK9 and really don't have any issues. But admittedly I carry a Glock 27 IWB more than any.
Old January 30, 2013, 09:54 AM   #11
NJmike

@DATL. I'm with you, I really like the DB9, but with Diamondback telling me they have a 3k-4k round life span and all the problems you read, it's not going to be worth it. I have to qualify with it twice a year and I would run a few rounds through it in between as well. I'm still thinking of the CM9 comment. For approx. $350, that is pretty good for a weapon that seems to be reliable. But even with that, I'm not crazy about feeding a round via the slide stop lever.
Old January 30, 2013, 12:01 PM   #12
Nasty

Bud's price on the CM9 is $419, not $350

The DB9 is both lighter *and* thinner.

Then there is that whole bit of Khar being owned by Rev Moon's son...
Old January 30, 2013, 12:37 PM   #13
Fishbed77

Quote:
But even with that, I'm not crazy about feeding a round via the slide stop lever.
My CM9 feeds like fine racking the slide just like any other semi-auto, regardless of what the manual says. I've never had a malfunction when racking or sling-shotting its slide. Actually, I've never had a malfunction with this gun at all.

Quote:
Bud's price on the CM9 is $419, not $350
Like I said - I've seen CM9s "on sale" for $350. Palmetto State Armory had them in their brick & mortar stores for $350 for a while last year. That paired with a new store opening sale got me mine for $327, including sales tax. Also, "Bud's price" does not automatically equal the lowest price available.

Quote:
Then there is that whole bit of Khar being owned by Rev Moon's son...
And most every German firearms company that has been in business for a while at one time profited from slave labor. What's your point? If you look hard enough, there have been some distasteful folks involved with just about every product you buy.
Old January 30, 2013, 06:24 PM   #14
NJmike

Man. I keep going back and forth with this!! Lol. What to do, what to do. I'll just have to wait as see what happens and the LGS next week..
Old January 30, 2013, 07:06 PM   #15
DATL

I must admit I had that issue a little when my MK9 was new- I would pull the slide back and release it (to load the first round of the clip into the chamber). The slide would slam shut but just not quite all the way. You could see just a little more guide rod sticking out than usual. A minimal touch or tap to the back of the slide would make it return to battery. I called Khar and they suggested the correct way to chamber the first round was to use the aforementioned slide stop lever. But I found keeping it properly oiled and making sure to just pull the slide back ALL THE WAY and fully release from an "all the way position" makes it chamber just fine.

However, for CC protection I don't want to have to worry about anything. And sometimes I have felt anemic with a 6 round cap. My G27 is my fav. so far, but I can only say for sure after I buy a M&P Shield. I get the feeling it's a nice compromise on size and reliability. I'll know for sure when my local shop gets them in!
Old February 5, 2013, 03:26 PM   #16
kflo01

3-4k life span on a db9? thats crap!
I was looking at a DB9 before getting the CM9. Owner of my LGS told me to aviod at all cost and how he has sent many back to Diamondback with issues.
Adn I have not seen any new CM9's online or local for 350.00 not sure where you live.

They run 415-479
Old February 6, 2013, 09:43 AM   #17
Skans

I watched the video. The two biggest problems I observed with the DB9 was the chip in the feed ramp and the trigger pin that worked its way loose. It also had some stovepipes during this "torture test", which really wasn't anything but a little range shooting.

The steel wolf ammo could have damaged the feed ramp - this really shouldn't happen, even with Wolf. I was thinking about replacing my LC9 with the Diamondback, but this video has made me rethink that. My LC9 can handle Wolf.
Old February 6, 2013, 10:57 AM   #18
redhologram

I am carrying my DB9 all the time now and although it's not meant to be the best range gun, I use it on my range because of the fact it's what I carry and depend on so I'm running the rounds through it knowing this is the gun I have chosen for my personal protection.
The only issue I have found with the weapon has been one that I can create myself if I let my grip get too loose. (I'm still adjusting to this gun since I just switched from my DB .380 and went to this one full time because it just fits me better) but I can cause a misfeed or malfunction. To me, however, I see it as a learning process of what I'm doing wrong and quickly correct myself, and at the same time it gives me practical, hands on experience learning to clear my weapon. I can take all the time I need too at my range and work out my issues so that I'll be prepared down the road.
Old February 6, 2013, 07:42 PM   #19
Nasty

Remember that having a video online proves nothing aside that the person has a cam and a youtube account.

Instant experts perhaps...
Old February 7, 2013, 08:31 AM   #20
Skans

Quote:
Remember that having a video online proves nothing aside that the person has a cam and a youtube account.

Instant experts perhaps...
I disagree. What it proved, if you watched the video, was that there is a chip in the DB9 feed ramp and that it stove-piped several times during the video and that there were at least two light strikes.

This is a real problem for me. I was seriously considering the DB9 as a carry replacement for my Ruger LC9. That video did convince me otherwise.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:33 AM   #21
redhologram

Now ya'll have me wondering if I'm limp-wristing that many times or is it my gun. It doesn't happen to me on the DB .380, the Glock 19, or the XDM 9mm compact.
Granted, as I said above, I've just started putting rounds through it but it's definitely something I will keep an eye on. Unfortunately the weather has been damp and rainy the last couple of days and I can't get out and shoot. I refuse to go to the local indoor range. Something about the way they call Thursdays "PMS Thursdays" to advertise women can shoot free just kinda annoys me.
Old February 7, 2013, 06:59 PM   #22
CSHammond

I have to agree with fishbed, the Kahr CM9 is great! And surprisingly very soft recoiling.
Old February 28, 2013, 11:46 AM   #23
kflo01

I was in this situation before also. I was trying to choose between the Kahr CM9, Diamond Back DB9 and Kel-Tec PF9.

The PF9 was the only one I shot out of the 3 before making my choice. The DB9 I held but was not liking the fact it did not have a slide stop. The CM9 was almost perfect but I wasnt sure how it would feel in my hand and wasnt to high on the fact it had post sights and not the regular 3 dot sights I was used to. Was also trying to hold out to see if my LGS could get a SCCY CPX-2 in stock so I could hold that then make my choice.

Anyhow I went with the CM9 and I am sooooo happy I did. what made me pick that over the others. Well I got to hold one before paying for it and it felt PERFECT in my hand. you could tell right away the difference in craftsmanship between the CM9 and the others. Price was 449.99 + tax (Jan 2013). Also it was more so what the others DIDNT have that steered me away.

DB9- No slide stop, felt good but cheap in my hand. when I asked my LGS if they had one he advised me to steer clear that a few customers brought them back with various problems and he witnessed one blow up in a shooters hand. hey he could have been just trying to sell me a more expensive gun but I trust him. Then I looked at variosu reviews on youtube, they were so-so at best. The thing that steered me 100% clear was the post on this forum saying Diamondback said they have a 3000-4000 round life span. ***? Hell no.

PF9- I liked how it shot and it seems more reliable than the DB9 and has more aftermarket parts for it but my shop didnt have the chrome 2 tone one I wanted. I might have went with this if they did. Still as good as it felt and I shot it, it didnt feel as good as the CM9

SccyCPX-2- LGS didnt have one. Honestly all the stuff I read and video reviews of this gun seemed spot on I loved it was small but held 10 rounds. Now that doesnt matter since New york passed the new laws. But I needed to hold it to see how it felt and if it was suitable and small enough for pocket carry. Since the gun shop would have to order it I didnt want to risk getting it and not liking it.

So I ended up with the CM9 but I am happy I did. Out of all the guns I was looking at it is the highest quailty out of all of them. IMO the best looking and 2nd smallest and 3 lightest.

IMO the only pocket 9's that look better than the CM9 are the Kimber Solo and the Tarurus 709 slim.