The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 3, 2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Kalamity Kate

semi auto 22 target rifle for a small woman.

I just finished a frustrating two day event with the wrong rifle. What I really needed was a 22 autoloading rifle with a ten round magazine in order to keep up with the program. My bolt action .308 was not the one to bring but it is my only rifle. They recommended the Ruger 10-22, a Marlin 795 and the Ruger SR 22, which I shot at the event and liked. The Ruger SR 22 has a pistol grip and a spiffy military look which makes it pricey and it is not something that impresses me except that it has an adjustible stock. I had to get a youth .308 for the length of stock and, though the other rifles mentioned can be found, I cannot find any information on the manufacturer's sites to suggest they come with youth stocks.
Finding my first rifle (the Savage Youth .308 bolt action) was a long and frustrating ordeal and took several months of gun shop visits, on-line searches and forum queries. I ended up with a rifle I am happy with but it will not do for target and marksmanship work. So now another search begins. Hopefully this will not be as difficult since the rifles listed are popular and something must come in a youth size. Do any of you know which models come in my size?
Old February 3, 2013, 08:46 PM   #2
Rmart30

Most .22's are pretty small anyway so that shouldnt be a problem in finding one that fits you well. The ruger 10/22 is hard to beat for a first rifle. I prefer a Marlin model 60 over it myself.
Visit the local gun stores in your area and pick up and hold every thing you can get your hands on and see how they feel to you....
Both of the mentioned guns can be found new for under $225, and picked up used off Armlist.com ( the craigslist of firearms) for about half price.
You dont need a $500+ rimfire to start out with. But ya just might want one in the future
Old February 3, 2013, 08:46 PM   #3
Marquezj16

Don't know about the Marlin 795 but the 10-22 has a compact model with a shorter length of pull and the SR 22 with the adjustable stock should fit you.

I would also suggest taking a look at the S&W M&P 15-22. Mine has the 25 rd mags but you can buy 10 rounders. Price is lower than the SR 22.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:56 PM   #4
BillM

10-22's are relatively cheap new or used, and the accessory aftermarket
is huge.

Buy a 10-22, drop it in a $60 Blackhawk Axiom stock. Pistol grip,
adjustable buttstock, lightweight.
Old February 3, 2013, 09:43 PM   #5
CTS

Or just get a 10/22 carbine and if the length of pull is a little long, cut a few inches off the stock. What is the length of pull on your .308 as measured from trigger to butt?
Old February 3, 2013, 10:10 PM   #6
bigghoss

The ruger SR22 is just a dressed up 10/22 so I wouldn't bother. 10/22's are some of the best .22 rifles ever made and getting a youth stock or simply cutting it down to fit you would be no problem. If you like the tacticool look with an adjustable stock an M&P15-22 would be my choice (I'm actually really interested in getting one). Wal-mart was carrying them for $450 but finding one in stock right now anywhere would be tough, especially from someone who isn't trying to rip you off because of the current panic buying.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:58 PM   #7
Kalamity Kate

Thanks for the responses.

It seems the suggestions mostly narrow down to getting the basic Ruger 10-22 and buying an aftermarket stock to fit. I measured my Savage youth .308 stock- from butt to trigger is 13 inches.

I checked out the online armslist site suggested and the prices there were pretty steep. Even the more expensive gun shops in town quoted me lower prices. In some cases waaay lower prices. None of the shops actually have the rifles in stock but hope to have them in "soon". Walmart is selling them for $200 when they get them in someday. I saw a listing on the arms list site for a S&W M&P 15 for $1350. Think that model is out of consideration, thanks. I will go to my local gun shop tomorrow and ask the owner to see if he can order a Ruger 10-22. He might even be able to locate a used one.

I looked for ammo yesterday and today while looking for non existent rifles and discovered the 22 caliber is the most popular and left the stores by the thousands of boxes early in the panic rush. Word is that it will take about 6 months to restock. This is nuts. The man in Academy said people were grabbing up bows in place of guns and ammo. Considering the really bad shooting that goes on during hunting season each year, when no cow, game warden or hunting buddy is safe, the deer might safely graze next year as the hunters switch to arrows.

Odd that people don't seem to think the government will ban shotguns. Turkey shooters should be okay this year since there are lots of ammo boxes on the shelves. Maybe I should run out tomorrow and scoop all the shotgun shells I can afford- even though I hadn't planned to go hunting this year.
Old February 3, 2013, 11:56 PM   #8
ThomasT

Kalamity check the local newspaper too. I just bought a used Glenfield (Marlin made) 75C carbine for $50.00 from a seller in the local paper. I shot about 300 rounds through it saturday without a single malfunction. This rifle holds 14 rounds and is very light weight at about 5 pounds. It has a 16" barrel.

If you watch these marlin 60s come up regular around here and the most I have ever paid for a used one is $85. Plus their accuracy will surprise you.
Old February 4, 2013, 01:43 AM   #9
Pfletch83

The S&W 15-22 could fit the bill.

Magazine capacity is 10-25 rounds.

It's light weight,the stock is adjustable to fit almost anybody.

It's accurate out of the box,it can be setup to fit the user as needed,and the base model is at a good price range.
Old February 4, 2013, 03:06 AM   #10
bigghoss

Quote:
I saw a listing on the arms list site for a S&W M&P 15 for $1350. Think that model is out of consideration, thanks.
That's probably the centerfire model. You want the M&P 15-22. They are about $450 new.
Old February 4, 2013, 09:12 AM   #11
txproud

Have had a Marlin 795 for just over a month now. Pretty short stocks if you ask me. Close to 500 rounds already not one issue. I'm having a blast with this one (pun intended. Just another option for you.
Old February 4, 2013, 09:55 AM   #12
Jim Watson

If I were a small statured shooter in your fix, I would buy one of the traditional .22 autos like Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60 and trot right over to my FLG (Friendly Local Gunsmith) to have the buttstock shortened to fit with a nice non-skid rubber buttplate.
Old February 4, 2013, 10:05 AM   #13
mr.t7024

semi auto 22 target rifle for a small woman.

Rmart30 is right on the money.I too like the model 60 better,I would also check out the Savage 64 along with other 2. Cliff
Old February 4, 2013, 07:57 PM   #14
Kalamity Kate

Orders are in and fingers crossed.

My local gun shop, where I bought two of my guns and know the owner, says it may be 6 months before the three models I requested are available. He is looking for a new or used Ruger 10-22 and can trick it up with scope, right sized stock, etc. That may or may not work out.

Another small sporting goods store says they randomly get the three models asked for in the store but they are sold the same day. They have my name and will call me and hold it until I can get there. I ordered any one of these three-
- Ruger 10-22 (carbine, target or any)
- Ruger SR-22
- S+W M+P 15-22

Whatever they get in the store, from whichever store gets it first, I will buy. All three seem to be good choices for marksmanship work. I will continue to check Craigslist local listings as was suggested.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I will look for shotgun shells this week since there are still some on the shelves.
Old February 4, 2013, 09:17 PM   #15
ThomasT

Hey Kalamity I am not sure craigs list allows guns to be sold. Check your local newspaper. Sometimes good deals show up there.
Old February 4, 2013, 11:46 PM   #16
bigghoss

Can't go wrong with any of them really. In my experience though the rugers need about 500 rounds to break in. Before then they only feed CCI with any reliability. After break-in they feed just about any standard .22lr ammo you can get your hands on. I don't know how the 15-22 is out of the box but the word is they are great in the long-term.
Old February 5, 2013, 03:12 AM   #17
Tad_T

Kate,

You could also look into a Mossberg 702 Plinkster Bantam model. I bought one for my daughter. They go for about $150.

The extra 10 round magazines go for about $17.

You can also get a set of Tech Sights that will fit it.

I fixed it up with a set of sling studs and a GI sling.

It is a very accurate little rifle. She shoots very well with it. I can put all five in the one inch square on the drill targets with it. It shoots just as good as my wife's 795 or my 10/22 which are both set up as training rifles.

I believe that it might meet your needs. It is a very nice marksmanship training rifle in a small package.
Old February 5, 2013, 06:44 AM   #18
NWCP

The Browning SA22 with a decent scope would work nicely and in the right hands are very accurate right out of the box. It's light weight, is drilled for mounts and is a take down rifle. They are also an attractive piece.
Old February 5, 2013, 07:01 AM   #19
CTS

The standard 10/22 carbine LOP is 13 3/4". It wouldn't take much trimming to make it fit you if 13 is what you are used to. It may even be acceptable as is.