The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 7, 2009, 02:56 PM   #1
HiBC

To ask for a fish,or learn to fish,Manuals

I think it is wonderful to see all the interest in reloading.

I also do not think there is a dumb quetion you shouldn't ask.If you don't understand something,ask.Everybody learns!

What I am noticing is the frequency of questions that,to me,indicate the new loader is making and shooting ammunition before understanding some of the basics.That can be unsafe.
It also,sometimes,seems like the OP is searching for permission to ignore the manual"I know it says xxxxx,but......"

Ask,and you will get the fish,but try learning about fishing,so to speak,by digesting the information in the manual first.

With some activities,full speed ahead till we mess up,then back up and fix it is great.Reloading isn't like that.

Most of the questions have answers in the "Basics of Reloading " section of any good reloading manual.

I enjoy this forum,and all the questions.

But skipping over reading all of "The basics of reloading" is not a good idea.

Happy loading!
Old March 7, 2009, 02:59 PM   #2
fisherman66

What a tease! But, I knew a thread about fishing would be locked up post haste.

My fingers and eyes are too important to gamble with. I agree with your premise even though I haven't loaded yet, so I guess that means I cut bait.

Last edited by fisherman66; March 7, 2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old March 7, 2009, 04:37 PM   #3
Sevens

I love to help out someone who does their homework. I have gotten long since tired of trying to answer the threads where the new folks haven't even looked at the sticky topic.

Lately, I've made a lot of use out of the "hover" feature of the mouse pointer. Instead of clicking on a thread, I have the subject line and the first sentence or two that pops up in the bubble. If it looks like someone hasn't put forth the effort, I don't even bother with reading it.

I'm a thousand miles from an expert at this stuff, so most of my "help" posts are with a lot of the basics and routine things that I've been through many times. I like to help out someone new that does their part, and I really like to try and handle the "softball" questions so the handful of real experts we have in this forum don't get burnt out on the easy stuff. Kind of save their energy for some of the more obscure and tougher topics.