The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 12, 2009, 07:30 PM   #1
lost in del

cx4 storm

I just got two 20 rd mags for my storm but they won't go up into the well like my factory ones do. When I can get it to go it sure doesn't release out at all.
Question is did the dealer sell me the wrong mags? or does anybody know how I can get them to work like they should?
Thanks for any help anybody can give!
Old February 13, 2009, 02:03 AM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

The CX4 is designed to be adaptable to accept magazines from different Beretta pistols when the proper adapter is installed. The 9mm carbines can accept 3 different types of magazines, IIRC.

Before you can determine which magazines to purchase, you will need to find out how your CX4 is configured.
Old February 13, 2009, 12:18 PM   #3
Delaware_Dan

The CX4 is a carbine, the PX4 is a pistol, which one do you have?
Old February 13, 2009, 04:50 PM   #4
lost in del

I have the carbine in 9mm. Never knew that there was more then one size for it. How do I go about finding what the size is??, because the well for the mags is about a hair or more tighter then it should be.
Old February 13, 2009, 10:23 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

Since you have some mags that work, take them to the store when you buy additional mags and make sure that they match in terms of general construction and especially in terms of the release cutout placement on the body.
Old February 14, 2009, 03:34 PM   #6
troy_mclure

i bought a cheapo 30rd mag from a gun show for mine, the mag was verry tight, i took my sander to it, removed about .5mm from all 4 sides and it worked great. i never re blued it, and it got left in my truck. it ended up a rust ball, so i trashed it.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old February 15, 2009, 08:46 AM   #7
spoolup

To tell which version of CX4 you have you will need to tear it apart just a little. It can be done in a matter of seconds and takes no tools. First make sure the weapon is unloaded and the magazine is not installed, then seperate the upper and lower use the manual if unfamilar. After doing so, look down into the lower, you should see this when the firearm is oriented with the stock towards the top of the photo)

Okay pay close attention, the screw driver IS NOT NEEDED, it is just there to show you where to push. So apply a little "forward and down" pressure here and push the mag adapter out (PS the rear of the firearm is towards the top of the page)

After the mag adapter comes out the bottom of the mag well like this

Across the front (which will be the left in the photo above) will be a few lines of data, which will say something to the effect of:

92/96 <--- which means it takes the 92 (for 9mm) or 96 (for 40S&W) mags

OR

PX4 <--- which means it takes the Px4 mags in the caliber of the firearm

OR

8000 <--- which will take the cougar mags in the caliber of the firearm

Re assembly is the opposite of the dissasembly.

Last edited by spoolup; February 15, 2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old February 16, 2009, 07:29 PM   #8
lost in del

ok I ripped it apart like you said but, ..on the front of the adapter it says

FOR MAGAZINE
SERIES 90
CAL. 9MM
CAL. 40S&W

Problem is I know I have a 9mm early version of the storm carbine just don't know why the 20 rounder mags (which say 9mm para on them) won't fit in the adapter well??
Old February 16, 2009, 09:13 PM   #9
troy_mclure

it sounds like you may have a para ordnance mag, and not a beretta mag.

my mag adapter also says series 90, it means you can use 92/96 mags in your gun
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old February 16, 2009, 10:15 PM   #10
spoolup

Yup 92 mags. Good thing they are cheap and can be had almost anywhere. Nice score on a 9mm CX4 as well.
Old February 17, 2009, 01:52 PM   #11
EAJ702

New OE Beretta magazines can be somewhat pricey. You may want to consider purchasing some Mec-Gar magazines which are designed to work with the Beretta 92 series pistol and CX4 storm carbine. They are considerably less expensive and excellent quality. Greg on the Beretta forum usually has some good pricing.
Old February 18, 2009, 12:58 AM   #12
JohnKSa
Staff

MDS magazines are another option. MDS is a subsidiary of Beretta and makes their OEM mags. They usually cost a bit less than the Beretta marked mags and so far they seem to be as good or better** than the Beretta marked mags.

**The ones I've bought recently came with aluminum floorplates instead of the plastic floorplates shipped on the Beretta marked mags.
Old March 10, 2009, 08:58 AM   #13
lost in del

Well finally found out what these things are. Apparently instead of mags for a Cx4 Storm I got mags for the Px4. A fat lot of good these are to me.

Thank You all for all the help that you guys gave to me
Old March 10, 2009, 09:51 AM   #14
Feezle

I am interested in them. I really want some 17s but these would work for the range. PM sent.

Tags
cx4 , magazine adapter , magazines