The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 16, 2006, 11:12 PM   #1
dorite

30-30 Contender missfires

Am having problem of missfires with my contender.
The fireing pin is stricking the primers,I am talking about hand loads and factory loads it doesn't happen all the time but it happens .I have built up the tip of the fireing pin, and am also making sure primer depth is correct. Any other suggestions?
Old January 16, 2006, 11:36 PM   #2
918v

Too little headspace or too much headspace. Contenders require the case to be snug with the breechface, but not too tight, else the hammer will drag (due to incomplete lockup) and won't strike the firing-pin hard enough. Too much headspace will prevent the firing pin from impacting the primer hard enough because it will be too far away.
Old January 17, 2006, 12:17 AM   #3
Leftoverdj

Correct firing pin protrusion is .040. 918v is correct, but to put it in more practical terms, you need to resize your cases only to the point that a firm snap is needed to close the action. By doing this, you are headspacing on the shoulder rather than the rim.

There is also a chance that your frame has been stretched. Contenders ain't quite as strong as is often assumed.
Old January 17, 2006, 04:47 AM   #4
steveno

make sure that when the barrel is locked up the split lugs are not sticking. if they are sticking it will not properly engage with the trigger mechanism causing the hammer not to strike with all of the power it is capable of. I doubt that the frame is stretched to cause a headspace problem

Last edited by steveno; January 17, 2006 at 05:52 PM.