The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 18, 2014, 02:08 PM   #1
totalloser

Loadmaster small primer feed update kit

I did a cursory search and didn't find reference to this and thought it would be worth sharing.

Many moons ago Lee updated the small primer feed which had some stoopid design flaws- like having a primer contour on the outer part of the slider where no primer should ever live. Updated kits started in late 2011 but distributors still are selling the old style (wow don't buy it).

Lee update kit ($12)
http://leeprecision.com/sm-lm-p-trough-assem-blk.html

A really effective bandaid I found for the old style- ESPECIALLY with rougher primers like Wolf has been a light dusting of graphite powder. I suspect this to be a good idea in all feeders. I was having them not slide down to meet the primer slider and thus one would randomly not feed. After a *light* touch of graphite dust I have not once had this failure. I used dust designed for farming seed feeding machines (I use it to build crucibles) but I'm sure there are other similar lower volume sources.