The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 17, 2014, 05:03 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

When it rains it pours.....

Depriming .45-70 in my Lee Turret press. Turret got a little crossways and before I knew it, the top housing AND the turret came apart. Housing broke into two pieces and a part of the skirt flange came off of the turret.

So I am out of the loading business right? I had just sold my spare press, a single stage from Pacific. Just an absolute superb back up press, but who needs a back up...Right?

Okay...I'll do some sizing and lubing of the bullets I just cast. Heat up the old 450 and start to work on about a hundreds bullets. About twenty bullets in I notice the lube coming out from under the press.

New "O" rings and seal flange for the 450 from Lyman and of course I just had to have a new multi wrench and ratchet. 35.00.

Lee has a cool website for warrantee parts. You set up an account. Log in. Enter your problem and upload photos of the failed parts. I should hear from them in 48 hours and I hope that what I hear is, "We are sending you the parts."

Those of you who seem to recall advising that a back up press is a good idea, are probly chuckling right now. As divine providence would have it, my daughter in law showed up with a belated Christmas present for me...A gift certificate for Bass Pro Shop. This happened about three hours after I destroyed my turret press. She is a real good daughter in law.

Challenger single stage is on the way.

Did I mention that BPS is doing free shipping on President's Day?
Old February 17, 2014, 05:44 PM   #2
Scimmia

Pics? I've never heard of the turret coming apart before.
Old February 17, 2014, 09:35 PM   #3
cheezhed

Wow! I have no idea of how the top of a lee turret could destruct in such a manner. My turret press has to be at least a 5/8 thick piece of cold rolled steel.
It had to be some type of defect in the material. Did the aluminum turret break also? Hope you post pictures.
Old February 18, 2014, 11:50 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

The thing I am calling the housing

Is the fitting at the top of the press. It is made of caste aluminum. The turret is also of cast aluminum.

I had gotten into a rhythm in which I was quickly applying a lot of force to the handle. On the stroke during which it broke, it moved freely through most of its travel and then suddenly jammed. The turret had gotten cocked a bit in the housing. When I got the thing dislodged I found the housing had broken into two pieces and the skirt of the turret had a huge chip missing.

I was probly applying too much pressure too quickly. I can tell you I will be more careful once I fix the press.

I am not certain if the turret getting cocked broke the housing ring or if the housing ring broke and allowed the turret to get cocked. At any rate the result was a pretty hosed up press.

I have a photo but it is on my computer at the house and I am at the office right now.
Old February 18, 2014, 12:47 PM   #5
Rico567

I think there is confusion here, in part generated by Lee's nomenclature. Back in the day, Lee had a 3-station turret (now discontinued, I think), which was of combined steel / aluminum construction. That press overlapped production with a 4-staton turret of fundamentally the same construction. And to confuse matters, Lee brought out the Pro 1000 3- position progressive, once again with the same combined aluminum / steel construction and a 3-hole turret for mounting the dies. Then there's the Loadmaster, with a different setup yet, but that same hybrid construction. More recently, they introduced the Lee Classic Turret, in the wake of the Classic Cast single stage press. Both of the latter machines are of iron/steel construction, much more heavily built than their previous line (although plenty of people, including me, have reloaded myriad rounds on their aluminum presses).

I think the press discussed in the OP is one of their aluminum models.

- Mark Twain
Old February 18, 2014, 01:06 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

Doc - if I'm remembering right, didn't you get the 4 hole Lee Classic Turret Press? If so, it's steel/aluminum.

I'm not chuckling at all . . . no fun when things go awry. You should have saved that old Pacific press though. I'm only loading pistol on my Lee Classic Turret so it doesn't require a heavy hand like I'm sure some rifle reloading does. I do all of my de-priming on a old RCBS Jr 3 cast iron press with a Lee universal de-priming die.

I have my turret press "timed" right (for want of a better word) so it advances correctly but I do notice that once in a while, when I advance to the next station/die, the alignment might be off just enough that the case feeding in to the die needs a little finger adjustment. I learned I had to "slow down" and make sure that I cycled the lever correctly/enough to make sure the alignment is on target.

I love my turret and am very happy with it . . but . . have often wondered how it would work on rifle cartridges and the leverage that might be required to feed them in to the dies. Sorry to hear you had problems and hopefully you'll have it fixed up in fine shape quickly. Lee offers good service so it shouldn't take long. Good luck! I know you have some nice new rifles you need to get some loads done for!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 18, 2014, 01:06 PM   #7
Doc Hoy

This is the jewel right here.

http://www.titanreloading.com/presses/lee-turret-press

Minus the capper. I converted a three hole press to a four hole press but I did not include the progressive linkage.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; February 18, 2014 at 01:59 PM.