The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 6, 2009, 03:11 AM   #26
bootman

Don't let the fact that you don't have a dog deter you from hunting birds. I've been hunting dove, quail, chukar, etc for years and have rarely used a dog. You might have to work a little harder but that's part of the fun.

+1 rabbits and squirrels too
Old August 6, 2009, 06:52 AM   #27
treg

+1 for all the squirrel recomendations!

Also, here, hogs are open season year round. Carrying some slugs for your shotgun while squirrel hunting could lead to a nice bonus if you happened to cross paths with Mr. Piggie. Have to check the rules for where you plan to hunt.
Some experimentation may be required but for example my daughters NEF 20 gauge with a modified choke shoots sub 3" groups with Remingtons rifled slugs at 50 yards.
Old August 6, 2009, 08:22 AM   #28
Dr. Strangelove

Here's a link to find a hunter safety class in Georgia:

http://www.georgiawildlife.org/hunte...n_hunting.aspx

Hunting regulations in Georgia:

http://pub.jfgriffin.com/doc/jfgriff...HD/2009072301/

WMA maps:

http://www.georgiawildlife.org/huntingmaps_maps.aspx

Sounds like you will be hunting on WMAs, be sure to read up on the regulations for the one you choose as they aren't the same in each WMA and all are very different than private land.
Old August 6, 2009, 09:27 PM   #29
wyobohunter

Quote:
A small freezer is under $200 bones and will hold 2 hogs and 2 deer fully processed.
that is about a year of meat for a bachelor who really likes fresh meat!
+1, buy a smallish freezer, you can even go in halfsies with your buddy. When I was going to college (before the G.I. bill $ ran out and I had to work for a living) I had an old freezer in my dorm room; it was always full of Deer and Elk. A single guy with a small apartment need not miss out on the good life, hell, I even had a tiny little reloading bench set up in the room. I know, I'm getting off topic now so I'll make a "single guy gun post"... Point is, go for it man, just get that freezer and you'll have hog/ven/etc. all year and you'll be damn happy and proud to have it.. And, like Hogdogs said, share with friends (just keep those backstraps & tenderloins to yourself). Also, as others have suggested, try to get with a mentor, esp. when it comes to field care. Gutting, skinning, quartering and processing may seem a bit daunting at first so I'd advise getting an old salt to teach you. Other option is just learn to gut and haul the critter to a butcher, maybe he'll even let you watch and learn.
Old August 11, 2009, 10:52 PM   #30
jephthai

Sriracha:

I'm not in GA, but I'm on the same quest. I want to work my way up to deer. But, I've decided to take the advice of others on this forum and start with squirrels and rabbits. I've got my hunter safety class this weekend, and the season starts relatively soon!

-Jephthai-
Old August 12, 2009, 03:34 PM   #31
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. I learnt to hunt Rabit without a dog. Our dogs name was Shivers, he was scared of anything you had in your hands that he thought you might be able to hit him with. If he saw a rifle he would run and hide behind mum. I used a .22LR on the Rabit mostly so I had greater range then a shotgun, but the shot gun would have been OK.
Old August 14, 2009, 04:49 PM   #32
Dearhunter61

I agree with the others...squirrels! At least if you can stand to eat them. I LOVE TO SQUIRREL HUNT! But I had to give it up because I simply could not bring myself to eat them anymore. Here in the pineywoods they taste like turpentine. YUK! They are fun to hunt and it also allows you time to learn the woods as others have stated and prepare you to hunt other game. if you have to be as quiet and stealthy there as you do here you will have the chance to see a lot of other game which to me is what is so cool about squirrel hunting.

Good Luck.