The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 3, 2007, 10:02 PM   #1
Eric M.

Rainier Bullets-What is you view on them?

Hello Gentlemen,

I was at the range yesterday with my Nephew, shooting our various pistols, and shot some of his 185gr. Rainier coated flat-point bullet reloads.
I was using my 1911 .45 ACP, and I shot some very nice groups.
I was contemplating ordering a 500, or a 1000 round box from Midway, but before I spend the money, wanted to see if you guys had any thoughts on Rainier, and the 185gr .45 ones in particular.
I am thinking of using them for indoor winter league next winter, but don't want to waste my money if what I saw at the range yesterday was a fluke.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Eric Marleau
Forest Lake, Minnesota
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor 37 yrs
Old April 3, 2007, 10:20 PM   #2
scsov509

I can't speak specifically about the 185 grain .45 rounds, but I can say that I've had excellent results using Rainier bullets in other calibers. I use the 158 grain flatpoint in .38 for indoor shooting, and I've been able to get extremely accurate and consistent groups out of that round. In autoloaders I've used their .40 and 9mm bullets and again gotten good results.
Old April 4, 2007, 05:29 AM   #3
ECLIPSE45ACP

Ranier makes a grat practice bullet. I shoot thme both in my 9mm and .45. 115 rn, and 124 fp in 9mm, 230 rn and 200 fp in the 45. Great value and good accuracy.

Last edited by ECLIPSE45ACP; April 4, 2007 at 08:00 AM.
Old April 4, 2007, 06:53 AM   #4
VaFisher

I have used them in a few different calipers and have had good results in all of them.
Old April 4, 2007, 10:04 AM   #5
zxd9

I've used the 147gr 9mm flat points w/o any problems. I've shot over 3000 of them.
Old April 4, 2007, 10:13 AM   #6
RERICK

I use them all the time and have had good results, But you should check out Berry's as well they are just as good if not better and most of the time they will beat Midway's price hands down as Berry's price is with the shipping

http://www.berrysmfg.com/
Old April 4, 2007, 10:21 AM   #7
JoeHatley

Quote:
What is you view on them?
I love them!! I use them exclusively for 4 different calibers.

Generally I buy a few thousand at a time, every time Midway has them on sale. Usually about every 2nd or 3rd month.

Joe
Old April 4, 2007, 05:31 PM   #8
CrustyFN

I have only used them in 9mm, 147 gr FP and am very happy with them.
Rusty
Old April 4, 2007, 06:30 PM   #9
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I see them as being plated instead of jacketed. Have any of you seen any leading in your barrels?

I contemplated using them, but my conscience tells me that I get what I pay for...
Time to reconsider using Ranier instead of Remington or Winchester?

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old April 4, 2007, 06:57 PM   #10
RERICK

Quote:
I see them as being plated instead of jacketed. Have any of you seen any leading in your barrels?

Nope .Not at all.
Old April 4, 2007, 07:11 PM   #11
rrp

I've used the 45 cal 230 grn through my colt 1911 with no problem. Get them through Midway also.
Old April 4, 2007, 07:17 PM   #12
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Well, I think I might try some out on a few load recipes when I run low on my others.

Good thread, Eric.

Old April 4, 2007, 07:28 PM   #13
CrustyFN

Berry's and Ranier are all I shoot in my CZ and no leading problems.
Rusty
Old April 4, 2007, 08:11 PM   #14
Trapper L

Eric, I shoot the Rainier bullets in 40SW and 9mm and both at max loads. I have no leading and they shoot great- an inch or under at 25 yds. The 45's I have never got them to shoot satisfactory out of my 1911's. I was using the 200 gr bullets. The issue is probably more that the pistols didn't like them rather than a quality issue. I'd recommend them for you to try.
Old April 4, 2007, 10:25 PM   #15
KW-Bane

I was also considering using Rainier or Berry's.

I've heard you don't want to push these too hard. Has anyone experienced this as true?

And being precise, has anyone loaded these in .45colt with good success?
Old April 4, 2007, 10:46 PM   #16
tharmer

Why is everyone shooting FP Ranier. Is there something wrong with RN?
Old April 5, 2007, 08:14 AM   #17
nass

I'm no expert, but from what I gather, it is more stable to have a HP (or FP as second choice) when accuracy counts.

This Thread has a lot of 9mm specific information, but all of their accuracy bulseye type shooting is done with HP.
Old April 5, 2007, 05:58 PM   #18
CrustyFN

Quote:
I've heard you don't want to push these too hard. Has anyone experienced this as true?
Keep them under 1200 FPS and you will be OK. I have heard of people pushing them faster but that is the manufacture recomendation.
Rusty
Old April 5, 2007, 06:15 PM   #19
BigJimP

I don't recommend them - I reloaded and shot about 40 boxes of Rainiers
last year in .45 ACP ( 230 gr RN ) and I've reloaded them in 9mm, .40 S&W, .44 mag and .357 mag

I started to see my groups get a little scattered - and once in a while I'd see a ragged hole in the target and realized that sometimes there were 7 holes when I only fired 6 shots. I found that the plating was coming off of some of the bullets as it left the muzzle ....... So I took a handfull out of the case of 230gr bullets I had at the time, and weighed them on a scale and I found a tolerance of + - 10 grains and that's way too much variation for my taste. I think the plating process lends itself to that kind of quality issues vs a completely jacketed bullet. I had the same problem with West Coast plated bullets by the way - lots of variations in the weight of the bullets.

Rainier is less expensive than a premium bullet, like Montana Gold, and I shoot primarily at the range as well - but I switched everything to Montana Gold and haven't looked back. It's more money - but the big variation in the bullets kind of aggravated me. I think they could do better.
Old April 5, 2007, 06:18 PM   #20
Shane Tuttle
Staff

"I don't recommend them - I reloaded and shot about 40 boxes of Rainiers
last year in .45 ACP ( 230 gr RN ) and I've reloaded them in 9mm, .40 S&W, .44 mag and .357 mag

I started to see my groups get a little scattered - and once in a while I'd see a ragged hole in the target and realized that sometimes there were 7 holes when I only fired 6 shots. I found that the plating was coming off of some of the bullets as it left the muzzle ....... So I took a handfull out of the case of 230gr bullets I had at the time, and weighed them on a scale and I found a tolerance of + - 10 grains and that's way too much variation for my taste. I think the plating process lends itself to that kind of quality issues vs a completely jacketed bullet. I had the same problem with West Coast plated bullets by the way - lots of variations in the weight of the bullets.

Rainier is less expensive than a premium bullet, like Montana Gold, and I shoot primarily at the range as well - but I switched everything to Montana Gold and haven't looked back. It's more money - but the big variation in the bullets kind of aggravated me. I think they could do better."

I understand you shot through 40 boxes...do you think you got a bad batch or lot number?

Just curious, because I wanted to experiment with plated bullets, but not sacrificing much accuracy...

Old April 5, 2007, 06:25 PM   #21
BigJimP

No, I don't think it was a bad batch, some of my buddies were shooting them as well - and we weighed a bunch of their Rainier bullets too in a variety of calibers and we got a lot of variation. I was the only one I knew to test West Coast - so we all shyed away from them.

Montana gold on the other hand has shown to be = - up to 1 grain max.
Old April 5, 2007, 06:30 PM   #22
BigJimP

I will also tell you that some of the bigger gun shops in the Seattle area quit handling Rainiers because of the quality problems / customer complaints - and all of them I know are selling Montana Gold bullets now. Sportsman's Warehouse and some of the chain stores out here still carry Rainier - and some of the stores in Tacoma area still carry Rainier exclusively ( Rainier bullets are made in the area here - so we tried to like them and support the local mfg).

But Kalispell, Montana is a special area to me too ( family there ) - and I don't mind supporting the products those guys put out either.
Old April 5, 2007, 07:27 PM   #23
Eric M.

I took a chance and ordered a box of 1000 for $68.00 at Midway.
I will let you guys know how they do.
My 1911 is having an adj sight put on, so I won't be shooting it for a couple of weeks.

Eric
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor 37 yrs
Old April 5, 2007, 07:56 PM   #24
CrustyFN

Eric M. just remember to keep them under 1200 FPS, that shouldn't be a problem. I have heard of people having problems with them coming apart and most of that was from over crimp. You want just enough crimp to remove the bell from the powder die. I pulled a couple of my 9mm and you could barely see a ring around the bullet from the crimp mark. I am very happy with Berry's and Ranier and think they are more accurate than the WWB I was buying.
Rusty
Old April 5, 2007, 08:21 PM   #25
cheygriz

I've used somewhere around 15-20 thousand of them, and I have at least 10 thousand more in the basement right now waiting to be reloaded. "Nuff said!"

OTOH, don't crimp heavily, and keep velocity down around 1200 FPS or less.