The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 1, 2005, 12:31 AM   #1
Foxy

Owning a suppressor while in the military

Not sure if this should be in here or the Legal forum.. if I put it in the wrong place, my apologies.

Is anyone here an owner of a suppressor while in the military? I am interested in purchasing one after I PCS to my next duty station. However, I am concerned with what will happen if they send me to some place like *shudder* California, or even overseas. Is it legal to keep the suppressor, say, in a storage unit or safe deposit box? Or must I sell the suppressor before I ship out and start all over if/when I move back to a more gun-friendly location?

Thank you for any insight you can offer!
Old March 1, 2005, 10:06 AM   #2
shaggy

You can leave the suppressor in a safe deposit box in your home state (the state which you claimed as your legal residence at the time of purchase), OR you can file a form 5320.20 to move the suppressor to another state, either temporarily or permanantly. If the state in which you want to move the suppressor does not allow them, BATF/NFA will not approve the form. Thus, if you're moving to someplace like CA, don't bother with the form, just get a safe deposit box. On the other hand, if you're moving to a state like TX, file the form 5320.20 and take it with you.
Old March 1, 2005, 08:43 PM   #3
Foxy

Is your state of legal residence where you currently reside, or is it your permanent residence, where you plan on returning to?

For instance, I live in Ohio currently, but my permanent residence is AZ - that's where I pay my taxes and such.

Thanks for the information though! I think it will be worthwhile to get a safe deposit box, then.
Old March 1, 2005, 11:30 PM   #4
shaggy

Your legal residence would be your permanent residence...or what you would consider your permanent residence. In your case it sounds like it would be AZ - where you are registered to vote, the state which issued your drivers license, where you pay pay your taxes and such.

It sounds like OH is just a temporary stop for you; someplace where you have to be for a job or other reasons, but don't intend to stay any longer than required. It wouldn't be a permanent address.