The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 27, 2015, 03:36 PM   #1
bspillman

Pros and cons of a 28 gauge

Growing up its always been either 12 gauge or 20 gauge. I have never really given much thought to other calibers until I found my old Ithaca m37 in 16 gauge. Today I was looking around my local Wally world and found some 28 gauge shells. The old timer next to me picked up a few boxes, looked at me and said "best dang caliber for birds that there is". I just nodded and walked off as I don't have any experience with the caliber. I wish now I would have talked more to the guy cause now I'm wondering. What would the more experience shotgunners on TFL think?
Old July 27, 2015, 04:00 PM   #2
FITASC

The 28 is God's gift to upland hunters and clay target shooters.

In the uplands, with a double on the proper sized frame, it is a joy to carry in the palm or one's hand. The recoil is mild, the performance is awesome.

Check out the 28 gauge society:

http://28gasociety.forumer.com/

Or the subgauge section on shotgunworld.com to see what folks think:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...49e65779d48052

I have friends who hunt sharpies, pheasant, quail, huns, chukar, etc. with the 28.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 27, 2015, 04:30 PM   #3
TomADC

I own two, have shot a lot of clays with a 28 and taken a fair share of dove and quail with them. Fun gauge to shoot. I bought a full case 20 boxes of Winchester AA way back when and still have 90% of them been reloaded many times but since they go thru a O/U its been fairly easy on them.
Old July 27, 2015, 05:08 PM   #4
g.willikers

There's 12 gauge ammo and reloading components that can nearly duplicate 20 and even 28 gauge rounds.
Just a thought.
Old July 27, 2015, 06:40 PM   #5
FITASC

I do that now, but when you shoot a scaled 28, there is some magic to it. Besides you have a built-in excuse if you miss!....
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 27, 2015, 07:41 PM   #6
Semper Paratus

Used to shoot lots of skeet....(more than a case of 12s a week) Always found the 28 to be honest. If you did your job it broke birds cleanly. The .410 bore on the other hand is just plain dishonest....even if you do everything right it sometimes will leave you with an o instead of an x.
Old July 27, 2015, 09:27 PM   #7
The Rattler

Benefits of 28 Ga?

For me, I need the most BBs in the air that I can legally put up to hit the clays. I admire those who use 28s, but for me, it is challenging enough when using a 12 Ga.
Old July 28, 2015, 02:04 PM   #8
BigJimP

28 ga is typically 3/4 oz of shot...and it gives you an effective pattern just as good as a 12ga or 20ga...( not as many pellets / but a solid pattern none the less).

3/4 oz at 1200 fps...in a gun around 7 1/2 lbs is very light recoil...so its a great gague for new or young shooters...( I start all of my younger grandkids on clays target with the 28ga).

Like others said - today its pretty easy to find 20ga shells in 3/4oz ..( or you can reload ) ...and a lot of guys like FITASC are reloading 12ga shells at 3/4 oz as well with a lot of success. Buying 28ga shells --- will typically cost you more per box than most 12ga or 20ga shells.
Old July 28, 2015, 02:49 PM   #9
bspillman

I've never shot a 28 gauge. My daughter is wanting to start turkey hunting with me and she is a bit recoil sensitive. Would this be a good all around caliber to start her out with? I only bird hunt and turkey is the biggest game we will be hunting. Also I was looking around the net for prices on 28 gauge guns and from what I see they are very expensive. Are there any single shot 28 gauges that anyone can recommend for a beginner at a reasonable price?
Old July 28, 2015, 02:55 PM   #10
dahermit

Quote:
There's 12 gauge ammo and reloading components that can nearly duplicate 20 and even 28 gauge rounds.
Just a thought.
While that is true, some of the guns made for 20 and 28 gauge are significantly smaller and more comfortable to carry for upland game.

When it comes to the 28 gauge, I have little interest in any gun for which I cannot hand-load...I do not think I have ever seen components for hand-loading the 28 gauge.
Old July 28, 2015, 03:03 PM   #11
dahermit

Quote:
For me, I need the most BBs in the air that I can legally put up to hit the clays. I admire those who use 28s, but for me, it is challenging enough when using a 12 Ga.
In case you do not know, just ignore it if you do, the term, "BB's" is not synonymous or a correct generalization for the words, "lead shot". BB is a particular size of shot, way too big to be used for Skeet shooting. The word you want is, "pellets" or "shot".
https://www.google.com/search? q=lea...qWiv-9v_vmc%3D

Likewise, the word "caliber" is being misused here. Shotguns (12, 20, 28) are measured in gauge (the number of round lead balls that would fit in the bore to make up one pound)...except for .410 which is referred to as .410 "bore".

Last edited by dahermit; July 28, 2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old July 28, 2015, 03:52 PM   #12
FITASC

Quote:
I've never shot a 28 gauge. My daughter is wanting to start turkey hunting with me and she is a bit recoil sensitive. Would this be a good all around caliber to start her out with? I only bird hunt and turkey is the biggest game we will be hunting. Also I was looking around the net for prices on 28 gauge guns and from what I see they are very expensive. Are there any single shot 28 gauges that anyone can recommend for a beginner at a reasonable price?
A 28 built on a 20 frame will do the trick - especially something heavy like a BPS, or 1100. Reasonable price will be used. There are also the Remington and Mossberg pumps, as well as a CZ double gun. Most single shots suck for gun fit, are usually light (more recoil) and poorly made. Weight and light loads are her best friend.

Quote:
I do not think I have ever seen components for hand-loading the 28 gauge.
You haven't looked very hard then. Most 20 gauge (and several 12) powders will work for the 28. Primers are the same. Wads can be found online from a plethora of suppliers such as Able's, Graf, Powder Valley, Gamaliel. etc.

Using around 13-14 grains of powder and 3/4oz shot makes it cheap to reload ONCE you get those hulls. The best will be the AAHS for long lasting.
Old July 28, 2015, 04:09 PM   #13
eastbank

i have two 28ga shotguns, a rem 870(mod fixed choke) and a rem 1100 sporting 28(choke tubes) and i reload with a mec 9000. i load 3/4 oz loads and 7/8-1 oz loads and they are cheap to reload compared to store bought, but wads are almost twice what 12ga wads are and come in bags of 250. the auto does throw the cases into the next country and i have not found a case catcher for it. with the end weights on it there is almost no recoil and with the one oz loads factory or reloads it acts like a very light 20ga. and a joy to carry in the field. eastbank.
Old July 28, 2015, 06:27 PM   #14
FITASC

Quote:
but wads are almost twice what 12ga wads are and come in bags of 250.
Not if you buy clone wads online by the case - they are the same
Old July 29, 2015, 09:04 AM   #15
zippy13

Ah... the 28-ga is my favorite. It kicks like a .410 and hits like a 20-ga.
Quote:
I do not think I have ever seen components for hand-loading the 28 gauge.
My 28-ga loader has seen a lot of them. The only different component is the wad and they are available if you know where to look. For many of us, we couldn't afford to shoot the 28 if not for reloading.
Old July 29, 2015, 12:03 PM   #16
BigJimP

MEC makes a variety of machines for reloading the 28ga ( and 12ga, 20ga, 16ga and .410 for that matter ...and 10ga probably as well)....

and components are everywhere ....( like others said, primers are the same --- and all you need is the wads...From Winchester, Remington, Claybuster - or my personal favorite Duster wads...) look online at Recob's Target Shop among many other places..to get whatever you need.

It costs me about $ 3.95 a box to reload 28ga Rem STS hulls / or WIN AA's..
Old July 29, 2015, 07:06 PM   #17
Virginian

GOOD 28 gauge guns are a joy to shoot, especially a scaled frame SxS. A scaled frame Beretta 28 O/U is the only O/U that has tempted me in over 50 years. The snob factor when dove hunting is fabulous.
Old July 30, 2015, 10:25 AM   #18
natman

There's nothing magic about the shell, except that it's possible to make wonderfully small, light guns for it. If you get a 28 ga, be sure it's scaled down to match. If you have a gun made on a 20 ga frame, you might as well shoot 20 ga shells in it.
Old August 4, 2015, 04:56 PM   #19
Death from Afar

They are nice...but....

...the cost of the Ammo will bring tears to your eyes. I think the 28 gauge is a wonderful cartridge, but is hard one even for reloading components. That why I went to .410 3 inch, more out of necessity than choice. Here, in NZL a box of ammo is about $40 if you can find it.
Old August 4, 2015, 06:29 PM   #20
SauerGrapes

Not the case here. If your in a real reloading supplier, he'll have most anything you want for 28ga.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old August 6, 2015, 03:35 AM   #21
OkieCruffler

Since I bought my little Yildez 28 my Citori 12 sees very little action. My skeet scores didn't seem to suffer and my shoulder is thanking me. Now I'm on the hunt for a citori 28 to waste money on. But yes, if you don't reload you'll go broke.
Old August 6, 2015, 04:59 AM   #22
gunut

one of those gauges that are owned by folks looking to stay in the gun buying game when they have WAY more 12s and 20s than God ever had .....other than that just about useless....stick with your 12/20 attitude and throw a 16ga in if you want to feel nostalgic....the 28 and 410 are pretty much the lonely fat guys guns who's still looking for something to do....talk with him about 28s and 410s he will know everything there is to know about them....maybe even 24s and 32s....geeeez

Last edited by gunut; August 6, 2015 at 05:04 AM.
Old August 6, 2015, 07:14 AM   #23
eastbank

well i guess i,ll just throw my .410,s and 28ga shotguns out with the trash, no sense having them as i,m not a fat or lonely guy. eastbank.
Old August 6, 2015, 07:37 AM   #24
ligonierbill

The 28 gauge is about the smallest that has been shown effective in the field on game birds, and a proper one is super light to carry. I've always thought of the .410 as an expert's gun, although plenty of kids get their first experience with one. Personally, I save the 12 (only have 1) for waterfowl and turkeys. Nostalgia has had me using a 16 (got 2 oldies), and recently I caved to the 20 for the abundant ammo. But don't tell my wife. She loves shooting clay birds with her 28 Remington 1100 Sport.
Old August 6, 2015, 08:29 AM   #25
Virginian

Quote:
....stick with your 12/20 attitude and throw a 16ga in if you want to feel nostalgic....
That's a bit hypocritical. The 12 and 20 cover the 16 from both directions, but the 28 reigns alone. I wouldn't have a 16 and love 28s. The "All Gauge" Skeet boys knew what they were doing.