The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Do you pay attention to other drivers?
Yes I try to whenever I think of it 27 90.00%
No not really, I mostly just keep to myself 3 10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 15, 2006, 05:18 PM   #1
Doug.38PR

Do you pay attention to other drivers?

I used to to deliberately not pay attention to other drivers while driving, except knowing where their car was relative to mine. I grew up in the city where people keep to themselves. Recently, I have started making it a point to look at other driver's passing me on the highway or at a stoplight. Not suspiciously glaring at them with my gun ready or anything so paranoid, but just glancing at them seeing what they are doing, what kind of people they are. If they notice you glancing, just nod a hello with a smile. Not so awkward doing this as I work and live so much in rural areas now where people have more culture and are nicer and just naturally react and pay attention to each other. (like people will just naturally flip their hand passing you on the opposite side of the road)

Most of them in the city don't even notice me...in fact, I have passed friends on the road and looked at them (without blowing the horn) and keep looking at them trying to get them to notice me and say hello...they never do. They never look around, they just stare straight ahead. Most people in the city don't look around when they are driving. Unless it is a low rider car with spinning hubcaps with a couple of "brothers" or a couple of "Jose's" in the car blaring loud music wanting everyone to notice them and how flashy they are
Old September 15, 2006, 05:34 PM   #2
joab

I drive all day and am always (at least mostly) fully aware of all cars and there drivers as well as pedestrians and cyclist in my area.

I can usually tell you what the cars three cars up or back on either side are doing and whether they are male or female and their age group.

I have been driving at least eight hours a day for the past twenty five years.
I have seen too many strange things not to pay attention

Last edited by joab; September 15, 2006 at 07:22 PM.
Old September 15, 2006, 06:08 PM   #3
PythonGuy

Another dumb thread by you know who.....
Old September 15, 2006, 06:42 PM   #4
tony pasley

yes i want to know what the drivers around me are doing. I have seen people doing about everything behind the wheel, some just silly some dangerous. Saw one lady driving with pistol in 1 hand cell phone in the other passed me and I was doing 70 mph.
Old September 15, 2006, 09:19 PM   #5
45-70

Ptss?

It's a compulsion since I got back from a Middle Eastern country. Sent there by Uncle Sam, but not issued a weapon, I had to drive about 100 miles a day on the local roads for 6 months. Now, if a car pulls into my blind spot and hangs there more than a few seconds, I start manuevering so I can see what they are up to.

It was not a war zone and as far as I know I never got shot at, but we were warned that the bad guys were looking for somebody to kidnap, and they had just shot up a couple of Americans at a stoplight. It is real hard NOT to watch the other vehicles, and now that I'm back, it's still hard not to, especially after dark.
Old September 15, 2006, 10:14 PM   #6
DonR101395

I didn't vote because Yes. was not an option.
Force of habit. I spend alot of time in crappy countries, traveling in crappy traffic.
Old September 15, 2006, 10:32 PM   #7
Doug.38PR

Quote:
Another dumb thread by you know who.....
Alright, what are you interested in talking about Pythonguy?...............

Anyway, moving on to more productive and on topic discussion,
those are interesting perspectives DonR101395 and 45-70 being in foreign and dangerous lands. Guess that would make it instinctive. I understand South Texas is a lot like that with all the drug smuggling, corruption and illegal aliens.

With all the talk about of shooting a random stranger for gang initiation and all the random nutcases we have these days and carjackings it does make you pay attention.

Quote:
Saw one lady driving with pistol in 1 hand cell phone in the other passed me and I was doing 70 mph.
Mr. Pasley, that makes me wonder if someone was chasing her or she saw something that scared her and she paniced.
Old September 15, 2006, 11:18 PM   #8
The Real Wyatt

I live waay out in the country

and that's what we do.
We look each other in the eye and we wave or nod our heads. Simple courtesy. Most times we even mouth a "howdy" to one another. 'Tis an automatic response for country folk.
Old September 16, 2006, 04:34 AM   #9
tINY

I've driven while unloading a pistol before - no permit for Washington. So, the revolver has to get unloaded and stuffed in a lock-box before I get to the other side of the bridge.

of course the keys and a speed loader are close at hand.....

-tINY

Old September 16, 2006, 07:33 AM   #10
stevelyn

With so much random stuff happening, it would be stupid not to pay attention to other drivers especially when vulnerable at traffic lights.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old September 16, 2006, 07:43 AM   #11
Pointer

Quote:
Mr. Pasley, that makes me wonder if someone was chasing her or she saw something that scared her and she paniced.
It makes me wonder if she was chasing someone else...

30-06 FOREVER
Old September 16, 2006, 08:39 AM   #12
springmom

when they "multi-task"

If I pay attention to other drivers, it's because they're doing something dangerous...like talking on the phone, eating their lunch, AND putting on their mascara AT THE SAME TIME!!!! (I am not making this up, I've seen it.)

And yes, out in the country, when a car approaches, each driver raises one hand off the steering wheel a few inches in greeting, nods, and drives on.

But I don't think either of these is quite what you had in mind...?

I don't pay attention from the standpoint of "tactics and training", that is, self defense tactics (except from their bad driving!!!) No more so than the rest of my environment (especially pedestrians and the panhandlers, whom I'm always afraid are going to step out in front of my car).

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old September 16, 2006, 08:46 AM   #13
tegemu

I make it a must that I concentrate fully on my driving. There is no need to deliberatly cause a further distraction. I don't turn my head to talk to someone, usually sound carries very well in a car and I think my listeners would rather arrive safely than have me taking my eyes off of the road. I love the radio controls on the steering wheel, one less distraction. I don't blow my horn or in any other way try to attract a friend's attention nor do I respond to horns blown at me unless it is for a driving purpose. I don't use my cell phone while driving, I may answer it but immediatly say "Give me a moment to pull over."
Old September 16, 2006, 09:15 AM   #14
TooTall

I don't mean to bash anyone, but....it sure seems like there are a lot of "silly" polls being posted!

Here's mine:

1: When you were a kid, did you:

(A) Walk to school, or
(B) Carry your lunch?

2: (Only for inebriated persons) Is Mickey Mouse a:

(A) Cat?
(B) Dog?

3: What does the slogan "6 in one, half-dozen in the other" mean?

(A) It refers to a box of eggs
(B) It depends upon what the meaning of "is" is
(C) I'm not inebriated enough, so I can't answer
(D) I'd rather have the half-dozen instead of only 6 of them.
Old September 16, 2006, 10:16 PM   #15
joab

I've got a poll of my own

1) Do feel compelled to interrupt real life conversations that you are not interested in just to say that you are not interested in the conversation

2) is your superiority complex so great that you feel the need to belittle those engaging in a polite conversation to which you have nothing to add

3) Do you frequently find yourself with nothing to say but an overwhelming need to say it loudly

Most here feel that this is an interesting conversation dealing with situational awareness.
If you don't why not just go post in one of the I hate cops threads, or just simply lurk and learn
Old September 16, 2006, 11:11 PM   #16
Maximus856

Though I'm 17 with 'little' road experiance, I do ride a motorcycle (crotchrocket) so I pay A LOT of attention for both motorists and to look for the police. This naturally carries over to when I drive my car. I obviously can't carry, so I usually have (lost it) a knife on me, especially on the bike, and definitly at night.

-Max.
Old September 16, 2006, 11:38 PM   #17
Bud Helms

I suppose this could have had a tactics or training slant, but it's more like a casual conversation with no real point.

Closed.
Closed Thread