The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 17, 2002, 12:01 AM   #1
blooch

if all you were going to reload was 45 acp.....

exactly what dies and press combinations would you use? progressive or single stage? the various tube primer set ups, strips, or prime as a separate operation? not that i am totally devoid of knowledge, just wish to know what is working for other reloaders out there; maybe there is a better way than what i'm used to doing. thanks
Old December 17, 2002, 01:16 AM   #2
trapguy

Buy the dillon square deal b, and a good scale along with a reloading manual.
Old December 17, 2002, 01:17 AM   #3
blades67

If you're only going to reload .45 ACP for weekend range use I'd recommend a Dillon Square Deal "B". If you're going to compete I'd recommend an XL650. Both are progressive, auto indexing and set-up from the factory. I use an RL550B because I reload for a number of calibers and I like the flexability of the 550.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old December 17, 2002, 06:19 AM   #4
HSMITH

If I never was going to change the set up the Dillon 1050 would be the one. The 650 would be next in line, with the SDB in last place.
Old December 17, 2002, 06:41 AM   #5
LAH

The Square Deal is a fine set up but certainly not the only one out there. I like it because it's simple. The priming system is simple and easy to remove for cleaning. The powder drop is positive and easy to adjust should you change powder/charge. The indexing system and loaded case ejector is simple.

Buy extra tubes for primers. Get a primer flipper or primer tube filler. The low primer warning system is extra but you need it.

If money is no problem then you can buy better equipment but the Square Deal is value.
Old December 17, 2002, 08:59 AM   #6
Paul in RI
Registration in progress

SDB vs 650 ?

I'm considering these two machines. Could someone explain why the 650 has a higher reloading rate? Why is the 650 better for competition use? Thanks.
Old December 17, 2002, 01:22 PM   #7
cheygriz

Paul,

The 650 has electric case feed, and primer check station. It vis therefore safer as well as faster.

The SDB is like a Volvo. Steady, well made, reliable, etc. The 650 is more like a Lamborghini. It's,....well... it's a Lamborghini. 'Nuff said!
Old December 17, 2002, 02:40 PM   #8
blooch

i have tried several times today to reply to your responses, that said, thank you all.

i have been loading a long time, about 30 years, but mainly shotgun ammo. loaded hundreds of thousands of rounds for skeet. at one time, i owned a dillon 1050 and loaded a lot of 357 mag ammo for some friends going to a police academy, but when that was over , the dilon was sold, yes, for more than i gave for it. i have loaded a few thousand rounds on a single stage in evrything from 17 remington to 338 win mag, 256 win to 45 acp.
i am looking for something faster than the turret press i have that will turn out quality ammo and not break the bank for a weekend plinker/ self defense practice.

i don't mind tinkering to get something set, as long as it stays set. i have owned or do ownjust about all the progressive shotgun presses made in the last 40 years. some work great, some are junk. if press xyz needs a little tweaking to get it going, that's okay. if i load fifty shells and have to start all over , that's not okay.

the 1050 i had was such a press, and i loved it. i'm needing that kind of volume now, nor do i wish to spend that kind of money.

i have no experience with any other dillon equipment.

it seems, from what i've read, that everyone loves dillons, a few like rcbs and fewer still like hornady and a lot of people hate them.

look for ward to reading more comments.
Old December 17, 2002, 04:27 PM   #9
cheygriz

blooch,

The Dillon 650 is very similar to the 1050. A little smaller, a little slower and a good deal more economical. Equal quality! I've been using my 650 for 11 years, and I wouldn't trade it for anything made. I load 6 pistol calibers and 3 rifle calibers on it.
Once a 650 is set for a particular load, you will never have to change it unless you want to change the load.

The Square Deal B is equal in quality. You will never have to change it once it's set. It is slower, smaller and more economical still than it's larger brothers. It doesn't have an electric case feeder or a station for a powder check die.

Whatever you choose, Dillon had you covered.
Old December 17, 2002, 05:06 PM   #10
MADISON

if all you were going to reload was 45 acp

if all I was going to reload was 45 acp I would probablly buy a cheap $115 + or - Lee Terret press kit. 4 holes would do taper crimp. This little press is suppose to do 200 an hour.
Old December 18, 2002, 04:14 PM   #11
john kilgore

I vote for the Lee Pro1000. Also set yourself up a small casting set-up. Go minimal !! Use wheelweights and the Lee 200 SWC. But get the 6cavity moulds, you're going to want to shoot a lot more! For target shooting/plinking load 3.5-4.0gr of Bullseye, whatever your gun shoots best with- mine prefer 3.9gr. For more upmh, use Unique near as max as your guns will stand, seat all to 1.275". Use Nickle cases for hotter loads for easy ID. This will suffice for most all .45acp shooting. For self defense, shoot the Speer 200 HP factory load. (The so called "flying ashtry") or the GoldDot 185. Keep it Simple !!
Old December 24, 2002, 03:26 PM   #12
glockinmysock

Here's some .45ACP reloading manuals for you CHEAP!

All brand new:

1) Midway USA LoadMAP for .44 Remington Magnum
2) Midway USA LoadMAP for .45 ACP
3) LoadBooksUSA's "One Book / One Caliber" for .45ACP (year 2000 edition)

$6.00 each shipped, or take all three for $15.00 shipped. I take MO's or PayPal (+4%). I have nothing but positive feedback here and intend to keep it that way. E-mail questions or offers to [email protected]. Thanks and happy holidays!
Medical Student
NRA member
Husband of very supportive woman!
Old December 24, 2002, 08:02 PM   #13
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Easy One For Me-

R.C.B.S. - cuz I already have the RCBS .45 ACP
dies, and Rockshucker press! + I like to weigh each
powder charge, myself. Why change?

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member
Old December 3, 2008, 07:37 PM   #14
asmotj

Dillon RL550B

Lifetime warranty any Dillon the square deal is only for pistol so the 450/550 is better suited if you want to relaod both rifle and pistol.

I know this is an old post but I am curious what others think and to be sure all know I know hot to UTFSE
Old December 3, 2008, 09:14 PM   #15
BigJakeJ1s

Hornady LNL AP.

Here is a comparison of Dillon, Hornady and Lee progressives:
http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillon...Comparison.pdf

Hornady has just upgraded their case ejection system, so it is even better.

Andy
Old December 4, 2008, 12:42 AM   #16
amamnn

I like a turret press for handgun loads. I don't turn out thousands of rounds for them in a single sitting, so anyone's turret works fine for me. The lee classic would be the best value in my opinion.
Old December 4, 2008, 10:39 AM   #17
Mike Irwin
Staff

Agree on the Square Deal B.

I know quite a few people who shoot competitively and reload for a bunch of different calibers.

Many of them have a Square Deal B for their primary cartridge, and another press to handle everything else.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 4, 2008, 03:33 PM   #18
indiandave

I agree with the people who say Dillon. The SDB is a great press for straight wall cartriges. It also would be a good idea to read up on reloading. The Lyman guide to pistol and revolver reloading would be a good place to start
Old December 4, 2008, 06:59 PM   #19
the_right_reverend

dillon square deal or 550b with a Dillon dies and a loads book and lyman manual
Old December 5, 2008, 09:47 PM   #20
cgaengineer

The Hornady LNL AP is a great press and right now with the purchase you get 1000 free bullets.
Old December 6, 2008, 12:05 AM   #21
D. Manley

Quote:
...if all you were going to reload was 45 acp.....

You've got lots of opinions and sound advice regarding your question so here's mine. If indeed you're only looking to load a single caliber...or, even just pistol rounds, put me in the Dillon SDB category. The SD is everything most pistol shooters could want...its fairly straightforward with a quick learning curve, auto-indexes and turns out beautiful ammunition in a hurry. It has an excellent manual and arrives set up in the caliber of choice with dies adjusted for one bullet style/weight. And about Dillon's customer service...its not as good as you've heard, its better. Speaking from experience, calling them has been more akin to calling an old friend for advice than anything else.

The above is my honest answer to your question the way you asked it but with all that said, if you envision a future need for rifle load cabability you'd need to go another way. Dillons other machines are a solid choices as is the Hornady LNL/AP. Along the same lines, if you load volumn needs are minimal, a good turret might fit the bill. If there's any possible way, there's no substitute for having a hands-on look at some of the choices.