The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 19, 2009, 02:11 PM   #1
giitt

digital scale

looking at buying a digital scale. don't want to spend a lot but want it to be accurate enough to measure the powder, projectile, and finished bullet. any help would be great but my thoughts so fare are what decimal should it go to (0.001gn or 0.01gn), what brands are best for the money, what web sites sell them (e bay didn't have any thing that looked right)
thanks
Old November 19, 2009, 03:49 PM   #2
snuffy

Quote:
looking at buying a digital scale. don't want to spend a lot but want it to be accurate enough to measure the powder, projectile, and finished bullet.
Those two are the same. Completed ammo is called a shell, round or cartridge. No need to weigh completed rounds, it tells you little other than how much they weigh.

Midway usa sells digitals every day.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Brow...*731***9211***

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old November 19, 2009, 04:16 PM   #3
LHB1

Most digital scales can measure in grains and grams. Be sure you have the scale set to measure in GRAINS for powder charges. Measurement of 1/10 (0.1) grain is sufficient for reloading. The question is how accurate is the scale? More expensive scales should have better/more accurate load sensors or more features. I don't need lots of features, just accurate measurements. The RCBS 1500 gr digital scale works great for me.
Old November 19, 2009, 04:29 PM   #4
mpw8679

+1 on the RCBS scale. I have the combo with the powder dispenser. Kinda pricey but makes life so much easier. The biggest pain in reloading for me is measuring the charge. After using the Lee beam scale for 4 years and almost going to the nut house for putting up with it I wish I would of upgraded earlier. It saved my sanity.
Old November 19, 2009, 04:44 PM   #5
MARTY9

I must be confused I thought a projectile was an object propelled through space & a finished bullet which I call a cartrage was what you put in your chamber.
Old November 19, 2009, 05:01 PM   #6
DaveTrig

The Cabela's digital scale is made by RCBS and is only around $75. I've had very good luck with mine.
Old November 19, 2009, 05:12 PM   #7
wncchester

What we put in the chamber is a cartridge. The bullet IS the projectile.

Check the label on a box of factrory ammo, note that it says "cartridges".

Note the label on a box of projectiles, it will say "bullets".

Inexpensive and accurate are mutually exclusive terms for scales; pick one.

Anyone seeking digital scale accuracy to .01 gr. is going to spend several hundreds of dollars. Getting to .001 gr. will cost thousands.
Old November 20, 2009, 10:38 AM   #8
giitt

RCBS thank you I'm keeping my eye on them. thank you.
for those of you that are really worried about me saying finished bullet WOW
Old November 20, 2009, 10:52 AM   #9
FlyFish

I really don't think anyone was worried about you saying "bullet" when you mean "cartridge," but every hobby and every profession has its own specialized terminology and those who correctly use that terminology are viewed differently from those who don't. Presumably, you want to be viewed by your fellow gun owners as a competent and serious gun hobbyist - I know I do, and I'm always happy to be corrected when the need arises (which, after 40 or so years of reloading thankfully doesn't happen too often these days). Learning is a good thing, honest.
Old November 20, 2009, 11:38 AM   #10
sserdlihc

I have an RCBS partner scale that I have used for years. It is a great little scale. It is made by PACT. I had an issue once that required me to contact RCBS customer service and they gave me Pacts' tel number. PACT took care of me in just a few minutes.
Old November 21, 2009, 02:28 PM   #11
petahater

Been useing lee balance scale and perfect powder dispenser for several years. Finally decided to up grade to the 1500 charge master last yr. Did a test on charges with the perfect measurer and the lee scale. I set everything for 26.5 of IMR 4895. Then placed that on my chargemaster it measured a little over a full grain less. I was very shocked to say the least. The best $300 dollars I spent. If you can do it buy nice or buy twice RCBS 1500 chargemaster