The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 28, 2006, 12:32 PM   #1
orangeTJ

Coach Guns - Stoeger, CZ, others?

So for some reason I've been getting a hankering to get myself a Coach Gun. I'm not sure what I'll actually use the thing for, but I just want one! I have a couple of questions:

1.) I know Stoeger and CZ make 'em, so I'm curious as to those particular models. Anybody have any experience with them? Good, bad, so so?

2.) If you own one, do you find you actually shoot it much? What do you do with it? I figure it would be a decent home defense/camping proposition, but I doubt I'd be able to hit any clays with it. I've got a Browning 525 for clay shooting anyway. I guess my question is, do you find the gun to have any utility?

The price on the Stoegers is so low that it actually worries me. The Coachgune Supreme looks pretty good and the one I handled at the store felt decent for what it was. Is one of those going to be something I could depend on and put more than 100 rounds through before shooting it loose?

Anyways, sorry for the rambling post, but I figure if anybody would know about these things, it would be you folks!
Old February 28, 2006, 07:59 PM   #2
Kensfj40

Love the coach gun

I had the SxS coach gun made by baikal and I really loved it. The gun was easy to handle, and a blast to shoot. You can break the gun down into three small pieces that pack beautifully into a backpack, the gun is ideal for HD bacause it is so easy to shoot, and it's very versitile, 00 in one and birdshot in the other, with 2 triggers you can instantly "pick your poison", including firing both barrels at once. The coach gun is the original tactical shotgun because of manuverability and quick handling. The gun was great for teaching my kids to shoot, breech loading, super safe, light loads no sweat, short barrels and stock seem to fit young ones well. At the range it was the gun everyone wanted to try, ( generally, people wanted to shoot 2 barrels at one time, and most people only tried that ONCE ). One day a young man offered me some cash for it, and as is the case with most gun sales, it has become a regret. Buy one and keep it!

Last edited by Kensfj40; March 1, 2006 at 01:26 AM.
Old February 28, 2006, 08:13 PM   #3
tulsamal

Quote:
I had the SxS coach gun made by baikal and I really loved it.
I've still got mine. Says "Bounty Hunter II" or something like that on the side. Has external hammers which is what I wanted.

Years ago I was in a Norman gunshop. They had just about everything. And it was obvious the guys working behind the counter were all carrying handguns. If they had wanted, they could have had any kind of rifle or shotgun as a backup. After I had been there a few times I noticed this short little side by side shotgun leaning in the corner. The darn thing even had hammers on it. I thought they knew I was a good guy by then so I asked about it. They told me that their theory was that a side by side 12 gauge would be totally devastating at in the store ranges. But they had never felt comfortable having a loaded pump or semi just sitting there in the corner for years. Then they hit on the idea of the side by side with hammers. They could load it up with buckshot. Then lean it in the corner with the tang safety on. If somebody unauthorized tried to shoot it, they might see the hammers and cock them but probably wouldn't notice the safety. But they thought that shotgun could sit there in the corner for decades with the hammers in the down position without any stress on the springs or any real danger of "going off" if knocked over. But if it was needed, it could do the job easily.

I listened and I went out and bought one for myself. And it is a house backup shotgun to this day.

Gregg
Old March 1, 2006, 12:10 AM   #4
David Berkowitz

We have the Stoger Coach gun.
My wife and I use it for Cowboy Action shooting. Twice a month, we put about 75-100 rouds throuigh it under the dirtiest conditions.
Been using it about three years now and no problems, so it is made sturdy enough.
I'd get the blue version. I have seen many of the silvery ones with the plate pealing.
Our trap club has a monthly trap tournament where one stage is to be shot using using a riot gun. The coach gun qulaifies. It come with an improved and modified choke. I use the modified and average about 20 birds with it. (I don't kow why, but I average about 18 with my trap gun. I know. I know.)

You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Old March 1, 2006, 10:25 PM   #5
adwjc

12 ga dbl w 20" bbls

I spent 30 years in a NJ PD, the only shotguns the grunts were allowed to touch were Stevens 311s.

We had hundreds of them from the "riots" in the '60s.

The city liked them because of the ease of training and simplicity. The NJ Training Commisson had an addendum to their curriculum just for our dept to qualify w/ these guns.

Up until we got the "secure" doors & partitions, there were two of these loaded in a rack each precinct behind the desk.

Our ESU used pumps and now they have semiautos, but regular personnel don't get them.
Old March 2, 2006, 08:59 AM   #6
9mmMike

Quote:
I'm not sure what I'll actually use the thing for,.....
I am in the same boat. I really want a short sxs. I want (real) hammers though and they seem to be hard to find in a modern gun or repro.
In fact, I'd like to get a couple of these and set one up (you know, like take it out of the box) for Dad for HD. Nothing as simple to use a hammer gun, IMHO.
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old March 2, 2006, 10:34 AM   #7
50 shooter

If you can find one, Rossi use to make a S X S coachgun with exposed hammers. They pop up on the auction boards from time to time, the model is the "overland".
No time for rearranging.
Old March 2, 2006, 01:26 PM   #8
9mmMike

Thanks 50! I'll do some searching on those keywords.
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old March 4, 2006, 09:39 PM   #9
jkhunting

Rabbits fear this gun.
At short range, 25 to 35 yards, quail die when they fly.
These guns will also handle the 3 inch shells.
They will shoot steel too.
Quail and rabbits use the # 7 1/2 or 8's in 2 3/3 inch.
Home invaders, 3 inch, steel, T's.
T's are .20, # 4 buck is .24 in diameter... close enough inside 50 feet.
Oh, by the way, you get more pellets with the steel shot too.
Penetration is better with steel than lead buckshot too.
Bad guys can not tell the difference either.
On bad guy shot, range is not a factor, how many hits is.
Never think that the bad guy is alone either.
Today's bad guys operate in groups of 2 or 3.
Old March 5, 2006, 07:31 PM   #10
seeker_two

Love my Stoeger Coach enough to make it my bedside HD shotgun...

Joy to shoot...