The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old April 15, 2001, 06:54 AM   #1
Bud Helms

Well, it sounds like the Atlanta Shoot on April 14 went really well. 'Wish I could have been there. As I mentioned in that thread, we have a great private range here in middle GA, at Fort Valley. I'd like to invite you all for a day of braggin' and shootin' sometime during May or June.

The days that I know will be tied up are holidays and scheduled matches dates. The holidays are 13 May, Mother's Day, and 17 June, Father's Day. The days for scheduled matches are 5/12 May and 2/9 June, the first and second Saturdays of each month.

One of the things I'm most interested in finding out is if Sundays are possible. So here are the weekend dates (including Sundays) that, by my reckoning, are open for May and June 2001:

May 6(Sun) 19/20(Sat/Sun) 26/27(Sat/Sun)

June 3(Sun) 10(Sun) 16(Sat) 23/24(Sat/Sun) 30/31(Sat/Sun)

We have covered shooting sheds, but no running water or electricity. So, it's a picnic shoot.

You can email me at [email protected]
Old April 15, 2001, 03:12 PM   #2
Joe Klug

As mentioned in the other thread, I'm interested.

Sunday's are fine for me......maybe even better since -everything- seems to happen on Saturday these days.

Does the Fort Valley range have pistol as well as rifle target stands. What would we need to bring? Targets and a staple gun? Sounds like this is a "bring your own" kind of place. I'm assuming that a dozen empty coke cans are not acceptable targets.

As for dates, in May the 20th looks good (if we can do a Sunday). In June the 10th, 16th, and 30th look good.

Let's get a few opinions on a good date (and if a Sunday will be OK) and set this thing up.

Joe
Old April 15, 2001, 04:45 PM   #3
PJ11B3VF7

I need to check my shchedule to see if I can get away 'cause when the Army says go there and do this I go and do.

I'll get back to you guys next week
Old April 15, 2001, 10:20 PM   #4
Bud Helms

Joe,

It is definitely a bring your own type range. Coke cans are fine. We just pick up after ourselves. The only things that are forbidden are the obvious: glass, brick, range furniture ...

We have what we call an upper and lower range. Lower range is down on a hollow. The upper range has 50, 100, 150 and 200 meter berms. The lower range has 25, 50 and 100 meter berms. I do most of my shooting on the lower range. There are a couple of portable wooden target holders, but it you have a favorite, bring it. I'll have plenty there for us. Targets are something different. I'll have a truckload of cardboard for target backing. Everybody definitely has a favorite, so bring your own. Staple gun ... yes. Chairs, definitely bring some folding chairs, if you have them.

11B, 'hope you can make it.
Old April 16, 2001, 12:15 AM   #5
Joe Klug

Sensop,

Sounds good. Glad you'll be able to bring cardboard. If possible I'd like to ride the bike down there which means I can't pack too much along.

Paper targets and a staple gun is no problem. I might still have a few of those "exploding targets" left from about 8 years ago I will bring along if I can find them. (They don't allow me to use them at Advanced Bullets)

Side note: Best show I ever saw at the range was an exploding target stuck to a half empty can of carburator cleaner. When hit the can went flying 25 feet in the air, on fire and leaving a thick black smoke trail. Don't see that every day.

Is the raod going to this range paved or at least hard pack? Will I be able to manage getting a 1,000 pound motorcycle out there?

Joe
Old April 16, 2001, 05:32 AM   #6
Tom B

I am good for any Sat or Sun in May or June except 5 May.
Old April 16, 2001, 06:30 AM   #7
Bud Helms

Joe,

What are you riding, a Road King Classic with the saddle bags full of gold?!

There is a short piece (1/4 mi) of hard-packed gravel. No problem. Tell me more about the exploding targets ..

If you are riding, why don't you let us four-wheelers bring the "stuff". Just bring GUNS (and ammo). I even have a couple of extra ear muffs.

'Looks like you can make about every weekend we have open, Tom. .

Budreaux
Old April 16, 2001, 09:09 PM   #8
Joe Klug

Sensop,

I ride an '85 Honda GoldWing. The bike itself is supposed to be 900 pounds but with "stuff" in the saddle bags it's easily pushing 1K.

You haven't experienced exploding targets? They are about 2 inches by 2 inches square with a red bullseye in the middle and an adhesive backing. If you hit the red part (even with a .22 LR) the taget blows up like a loud firecracker. Pretty good for ruining whatever it is stuck to.

I should have plenty of room to bring whatever I need on the bike. I won't be bringing the selection I took out to Advanced Bullets (damn near emptied the safe for that one) but I can fit at least 4 pistols in a case that fits in a saddlebag.

So far it looks like a Sunday might be OK. Hope we get some more input there.

Joe
Old April 20, 2001, 08:53 PM   #9
Joe Klug

Anybody else want to add their $.02 worth before we decide on a date?

Joe

Old April 22, 2001, 12:38 AM   #10
Bud Helms

I'm going to post a "pointer" in GD Forum. I'll post a link to a map in a day or two. The range is only 5 or 6 miles off I-75.

[Edited by sensop on 04-22-2001 at 01:59 AM]
Old April 22, 2001, 05:47 AM   #11
Tom B

We are talking about before July aren't we? I just signed up for a Tact Handgun Course July 13-14.
Old April 22, 2001, 10:29 AM   #12
hube1236
Registration in progress

If it is not the weekend near the tenth of May, please count me in from Augusta. I can bring whatever...

Dan
Old April 22, 2001, 10:38 AM   #13
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Later in May (or in June) is better for me than early May.

I'll be heading east from Terlingua around May second or fifth-ish...

Sounds like a truly great idea...

, Art
Old April 22, 2001, 10:59 AM   #14
PJ11B3VF7

Whatever you guys come up with will work unless my schedule does not allow it. With that in mind I will be unavailable most weekends during the month of May.
Old April 22, 2001, 05:11 PM   #15
Bud Helms

Tom B, yes I really wanted to get in before the 4th. It looks like early June is good. Art, 'sure hope you can make it. I want to meet PJ too. 'Never met a real 11B before ... Hube, I look forward to hearing what you think of GA so far.

One thing I haven't heard from anyone is whether Sundays are particularly bad or good. If we have enough of the Faithful that want to come and shoot with us (and I hope not ALL heathens show up!), then the first two weekends of each month may be whacked. See my first post. One of the first two Sundays in June would be perfect. If not, then the 16th of June is the day. Did I mention that wives and girlfriends are welcome?

What say y'all?
Old April 22, 2001, 05:58 PM   #16
Tom B

Sundays and 16 June are OK with me.
Old April 22, 2001, 08:59 PM   #17
Joe Klug

I'm pretty sure I can make the 16th of June work.

Joe
Old April 23, 2001, 08:38 AM   #18
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Sundays are fine by me. Mid/late May on through mid-June sounds good enough...

Art
Old April 23, 2001, 10:02 PM   #19
rkb3119

I will keep an eye out for a date, maybe I can make this one............
Old April 24, 2001, 11:46 AM   #20
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

June would be better for me. Probably can't get a day off in May this late- I work on weekends Are Class III Uzi's kosher at this range?
Old April 24, 2001, 01:49 PM   #21
Bud Helms

Yes, BUT ...

There really is no prohibition in the range rules. The problem is that there is a neighborhood nearby. Really near. Even though we were there first, we try not to aggravate the locals unnecessarily. It's not a good location for it.
Old April 24, 2001, 05:48 PM   #22
PJ11B3VF7

I may, I say again may be able to make it and will damn sure try. Especially now that Sensop posted the "other" entertainment that's in the area.

Sensop, can you give me an address to the range so I can plan my route. I may be coming straight from "work".

Thanks

Pete
Old April 24, 2001, 09:44 PM   #23
Keeper

I couldn't make the last one but I am going to make this one. Sundays work for me.
Old April 25, 2001, 04:15 AM   #24
Bud Helms

Spartacus,

Check email buddy. I withdraw the comments above concerning Class III usage. Normal safety precautions on the range. I was just ruminating out loud. Bring it on, you gun nut!

PJ11B3..., are you coming straight from Ft Benning? If so, it's a straight shot on Hwy 96, via Hwy 80 out of Columbus. At the Hwy 49 Bypass to the left (about three miles out of Fort Valley), Gun Club Road is on the right. Turn on to Gun Club Road (duh!). It's about a mile to the range from that point. Drive to the end of the pavement and keep going on the gravel. Get to the RR tracks, gate is just on the other side. I'll have signs posted.
Old April 25, 2001, 03:00 PM   #25
PJ11B3VF7

Sensop, yep I'm coming straight from Benning most likely. Thanks for the info. The SN is kinda long isn't it I'm looking forward to this gathering even more than the last one. Just hope I can weasel my way out that day.