The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 13, 2012, 04:38 PM   #1
jbrown13

270 WIN Factory or Reloaded

I was given a quantity of Winchester headstamped 270 WIN (softpoint bullet) that came from a yard sale, and the bullet crimp on it is what I would describe as a 5 position stab crimp, which is about 0.060" high. Between the "stabs" is a raised crease of 0.030" in length. I have an old (circa 1970) box of Western Super X 270 WIN that I know is factory made, and it has a 3 position stab crimp of roughly the same dimensions. Can anybody confirm that this is indeed factory ammo, or if there is/was a reloading tool from the past that put such a crimp on the brass? I don't want to shoot it if I can't confirm that it is factory ammo.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old November 13, 2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Colorado Redneck

A few years ago a co-worker gave me a box of 270 rounds he found lying in the street. He thought they looked new (shoulda known better as he hand loads) but there was black in some of the lettering on the case heads. I soaked them in oil and they went to the land fill. I won't shoot other people's hand loads or any ammo I don't know the complete history of. If I were you I would either toss them or pull the bullets and dump the powder and start over. Heck---you don't even know what kind of primers were used.